Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2017

2.9

667 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Interview

There are three parts- a phone screen, a remotely-proctored online assessment, and an on-site interview. I made it to the online assessment.

The phone screen is actually very straightforward. They just want to know why you're interested in the company, and have you walk them through a project you've done in the past to demonstrate good background.

The online assessment was the worst interview experience I've ever had but not because of the assessment itself. If you're not familiar with ProctorU, it's a remote proctoring service where you screen-share and have your room monitored for the entirety of an examination. You get one bathroom break and a fairly intrusive environment where you need to open up a port in your computer for them to view incoming/outgoing traffic. The exam involves having you solve some standard programming questions, a speed-focused logic section, and an interesting section where you learn Epic's internal language on the fly and answer some questions about it. So this assessment seems to take people 2-4 hours.

My issue had less to do with the assessment itself (which I thought was interesting and quite fair) and more to do with ProctorU. If your connection bugs out for a few seconds, your assessment is paused and you may wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for a new proctor to show up, during which you aren't allowed to go and take a bathroom break. So I spent a total of about an hour dealing with technical difficulties during/between sections because my bandwidth was about average and not capable of keeping up a constant, good-quality stream to a remote location while taking an exam in real time.

Overall if they figure out some way to ensure compliance without using a program like ProctorU, or just defaulting to onsites, that'd be great. I think the online assessment was actually a pretty interesting and otherwise useful system. But the online assessment was, for me, a pretty bad experience just because of the proctoring software.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2017.

Interview

I met with Epic Systems representatives at my college's career fair. From there, I received an email to schedule a ~35 minute phone interview with "x" person. I schedule said interview.

Come the specified date and time I did not receive a phone call until 45 minutes after the interview was supposed to start from someone other than "x" person. By this point I could not begin the interview because I had an obligatory group meeting for a class project in 10 minutes. The interviewer asks me to follow up with the head recruiter to schedule a new interview time. I sent an email immediately after the call and never received a reply. Needless to say, this is highly unprofessional behavior, and I did not expect this from a company like Epic.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

There's an initial call, then some online testing, then they have you come in. If you live far away (a lot of people who work at Epic seem to come from surprisingly far away), they'll pay for your travel and stay to come in. When you come in, it seems like they're more trying to sell themselves to you than having you sell yourself to them. Most of the questions directed at you seem to be just to get to know you more so than seeing if you know what you need to know. They'll have you talk with someone in your field, show some demos of their software, give you a tour and give you lunch at their biggest cafeteria for free. Lastly, they'll hand you off to HR to answer the rest of your questions before letting you go. As far as I can tell, if they've brought you in, they're planning on hiring you.

Interview Questions

• In the testing, they teach you this made up language that has really weird properties to it and ask you questions to test your understanding of it. It was surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

A phone interview where you walk through a project you have done, an online assessment, and an onsite interview in Madison. The online assessment is long but not particularly hard. After the assessment, it took them a while to get back to me. Onsite, you have an HR interview (standard weaknesses/strengths stuff) and an interview with a full time developer where you talk about a project you've done.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

The online coding assessment was the worst experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. It was labeled as a "non-technical skills assessment", and I was told it would involve critical thinking and problem solving. Instead I had to code a solution to 4 questions that took me a half hour each. This was not even the worst part. In order to begin this "non-technical technical skills assesment", I had to go through the proctorU service, which monitored me the entirety of the test. This involved me showing the proctor my entire room and showing them I had moved my phone out of reach. I was treated like a kid who might cheat on a high school exam, and it only makes me wonder how they might treat their employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in October 2017.

Interview

Initial call, online skills assessment, then they bring you in. Call is why you want to join Epic and a project you've worked on, and the skills assessment included a new programming language that they created and test you on it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Rochester, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Had the phone interview and coding portion. Coding portion was incredibly long and tedious. Interviewer was quite condescending. Likely won't get called back - not sure I want to even after that.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

1.) Phone Interview: This portion was very low stress, no technical questions were asked.
    2.) Online Assessment: Uses an online proctoring service. Assessment is long (~3 Hours), and some of the programming questions are fairly difficult
    3.) Onsite

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

Had a screening call, an online test (both of them were really easy), and a phone interview. After that I was flown to Madison to take a tour of the company and a very casual interview.

The questions once you were onsite were kinda ambiguous, as most of the time It was them talking about the company.

I had an interview were I had to talk about a project I had worked on previously
    And another interview were I had to talk about a hypothetical scenario of how I would design a system.

The interviews themselves were easy, so I don't actually know what is it that they use to select candidates.

After I got home they sent me an email asking about my college (so I'm assuming they take what college you come from into consideration) .

Two weeks afterwards they called me telling me they weren't moving forward with me.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in September 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone interview screening, followed by an assessment judging general IQ and critical thinking skills. The assessment was pretty invasive with someone remotely controlling my computer and changing setting and such. It took almost half an hour just to set up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why did you choose your major, etc.   1 Answer