Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at my school's career fair, then I was contacted for a phone interview. After the phone interview I took an online assessment. The online assessment was pretty difficult and it was really long.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Standard stuff: phone interview screening for personality, then a three-hour programming test, and then a fly-back full-day interview where you meet with HR and developers. The programming test is likely the most difficult phase of the process, where unsatisfactory candidates are weeded out. I recommend preparing for the programming test by doing practice coding assignments, especially focusing on string parsing and manipulation, and recursion. By the time they fly you out, the offer is likely yours to lose.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on, the technology you used, and why you used it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in February 2017.

Interview

After applying at a career fair, I received an email scheduling a phone interview, where they asked about my past projects. Afterwards there was a personality test and technical test. The technical test felt difficult, but that was mainly because I wasn't really prepared.

Interview Questions

• There was a question that essentially required computing combinations.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

Spent most of the morning along with two other candidates talking with 4-5 employees about the expectations of the position, then interviewed with a software dev and a HR person for about half an hour each.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in December 2016.

Interview

Went through the phone screen pretty easily. Technical interview was quite difficult. Some basic algorithm and data structures as well as some logic questions for the technical interview. Took me onsite to meet with several people. Got the offer but decided to decline due to older technologies used.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in December 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR then a skills assessment. I'm a CS and EE major and do well in all of my programming classes including the CS ones and I still found the programming portion of the skills assessment to be very difficult. I believe it's a good thing the skills assessment is so challenging so that you can prove your worth, I believe I'm a competent programmer compared to my peers but still didn't pass this stage of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• The skills assessment included string manipulation, challenging mathematical problems, and asked me to write code that would optimize a move in a given board game layout.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2016.

Interview

The phone screen was pretty pleasant, other than the part where I was asked if I went to college immediately after high school and grad school immediately after college, or if I took time off. I got the sense I was being asked "how old are you?"

The online test is a massive invasion of privacy. They use ProctorU to proctor it. You have to let them watch you on your webcam the whole time (4 hours!), show them your ID, pan across your apartment, and give them remote access to your computer. There's absolutely no reason for this. Just give a 90 minute Hackerrank test like normal companies do.

It also took the proctors (they were horribly disorganized and kept switching proctors) half an hour to get the test started, and that counted against my 4 hour time limit. The first 10 minutes after that, my exam kept getting interrupted by the proctors. I would have to wait a minute or two for the proctor to reset the exam and refresh the page. This must have happened 5 or 6 times. Then the first part of the test is just filling out some bio information, including some irrelevant stuff like "what was your GRE score?" Really shows a lack of trust to set up a system like this. If you're not going to do Hackerrank, just do a Skype interview where you code in a shared document.

They also asked me to take a psych/IQ test before the online test. I'm trying to apply to software jobs, not do SAT-like analogy questions for half an hour.

Overall a pretty lousy interview experience, mostly their horrible, invasive system for the online test. Oh well, I don't expect to apply here again anyway.

Interview Questions

• Did you go to college immediately after high school, or did you take time off?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted Application, phone interview, online proctored exam, on site interview, offer! Pretty straight forward. The application itself was short, the phone interview was pleasant, and they fly you out to their campus and give you a great tour. Culture seems a little intense (kinda creepy and cult like sometimes), but everyone I met was very nice and it seems like a genuinely nice place to work, especially as a first job.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2016.

Interview

I began my process by providing my resume to an representative at a university career fair. I received an email to schedule a phone interview relatively quickly. The interview was behavioral, primarily asking about work indicate on my resume and why I wanted to work at Epic. I was asked to complete an online assessment which included four coding questions. This required installing additional software and involved a live proctor monitoring you.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

1st interview was informal - just getting to know you and your interests.

Second step was online assessment - depending on your role you get dif tests. Software dev's take programming test and a separate math test. The math test was super easy, the programming test was more challenging. I have 1.5 years or so of college java experience, but I honestly was not too solid on the syntax. I think they said that pseudocode was not encouraged. There were 4 questions, 2of them I think I probably got mostly correct. The third one was almost completely pseudocode, and I ran out of time for the fourth one, but it was an involved, proability and programming type problem, definitely non-trivial. But I have a feeling that any comp sci major will pass this test in a breeze except for maybe that last 1-2 questions where you will need to think more critically and intelligently. If you're on the fence, apply. Especially if you are CS. I was not CS, but I have a very good feeling that these problems were just barely out of my grasp-- any relatively practiced programmer will do fine.

Eventually I don't even know how good or bad I did because they said all the spots were filled haha - so I may have done well for all I know..Or maybe it was their polite way of saying I did bad...I don't think it's the latter case personally haha.. But in any case, would def recommend applying, whole process is very stress-free It's like a 2-4 hour timed online programming test i think i dont remember.

I am a MS student that has a Systems Biology background (took data structures and got a C in it, that's the extent of my fundamental programming knowledge...lol)

Interview Questions

• Asked one tough programming question on the online test -- make sure you practice problems from a book or online!   Answer Question