Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 3, 2017

2.9

691 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Applied through university job boards. After this they had me schedule a phone interview and also their infamous skills assessment. Succeeding in these two areas leads to an onsite interview, and from what I understand, making it to the onsite interview means that you have a very good chance of getting an offer

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a substantial project that you have worked on   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

First had a basic phone screening, asked about projects. Difficult because and they strangely monitor you online. Apparently if you pass their technical test then you get invited to Wisconsin but I did not make it that far.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

They contacted me through a university recruiting site and invited me to apply for the position. You were able to mark whether you were invited to apply by a recruiter and this sent you straight to getting a phone interview and coding challenge. The coding challenge was through a proctoring website (ProctorU) but they forced you to contact the proctor every time you clicked outside of the tab, which was annoying if you don't have every single small detail of the coding language you're using memorized. The coding part was three parts, one was how many problems you can solve in 2 mins (mathematical, logic puzzles), one of learning to use their made up language with multiple choice questions, and the last part had 4 coding questions. If you have a CS background, you're only allowed to use Java or C/C++.

Interview Questions

• They say you should only need basic data structures and algorithms but their coding questions required DP knowledge.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in November 2017.

Interview

Epic has a very professional and streamlined interview process consisting of a phone interview, skills assessment, and final onsite interview.

The first step in the process is a phone interview (approximately 30 minutes) with a Software Developer. They will ask a variety of questions regarding your education (e.g., did you attend college immediately following high school or did you enter the workforce first), work history, and reasons why you want to work for Epic.

Next, a skills assessment is conducted, facilitated by ProctorU. The skills assessment has a few sections - you'll have to answer questions regarding a scripting language (pretty easy if you've ever programmed before, just basic Boolean questions), a quick math section, and there's a coding section. Overall, it should only take an hour or so.

Finally, if you pass the skills assessment, you'll be invited for a final interview at their Madison, WI campus. You'll be given the option to stay for an additional day to explore the city after the interview (I wasn't able to due to my schedule). Upon arriving, you'll have a host take you and other applicants out to dinner and answer any questions you have regarding Madison and Epic.

Your onsite interview consists of a few different parts. First, you'll be shown a presentation of Epic's current software offerings. Afterward, you'll have to give a presentation of a previous project (in depth) to a developer, answer a hypothetical design question (personally found this to be the most difficult interview), have lunch at their main cafeteria (prepare to be amazed), be given a tour of some of the campus, and finally have an interview with HR (questions about your strengths, weaknesses, group interactions, what would your references say about you, etc.).

Overall, I had a great interview experience (better than most companies I've interviewed with).

Software Developer Interview

Interview

There are three parts- a phone screen, a remotely-proctored online assessment, and an on-site interview. I made it to the online assessment.

The phone screen is actually very straightforward. They just want to know why you're interested in the company, and have you walk them through a project you've done in the past to demonstrate good background.

The online assessment was the worst interview experience I've ever had but not because of the assessment itself. If you're not familiar with ProctorU, it's a remote proctoring service where you screen-share and have your room monitored for the entirety of an examination. You get one bathroom break and a fairly intrusive environment where you need to open up a port in your computer for them to view incoming/outgoing traffic. The exam involves having you solve some standard programming questions, a speed-focused logic section, and an interesting section where you learn Epic's internal language on the fly and answer some questions about it. So this assessment seems to take people 2-4 hours.

My issue had less to do with the assessment itself (which I thought was interesting and quite fair) and more to do with ProctorU. If your connection bugs out for a few seconds, your assessment is paused and you may wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for a new proctor to show up, during which you aren't allowed to go and take a bathroom break. So I spent a total of about an hour dealing with technical difficulties during/between sections because my bandwidth was about average and not capable of keeping up a constant, good-quality stream to a remote location while taking an exam in real time.

Overall if they figure out some way to ensure compliance without using a program like ProctorU, or just defaulting to onsites, that'd be great. I think the online assessment was actually a pretty interesting and otherwise useful system. But the online assessment was, for me, a pretty bad experience just because of the proctoring software.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

Starts with a short, easy phone interview then a very long and tedious online skills test. The ProctorU system is really terrible. They also have you do a 30 minute personality quiz with very weird questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Epic?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Phone interview. I really enjoyed talking with the interviewer. They were very polite and conversational. They called me and asked about some of the projects on my resume. Wanted my opinion on NoSQL databases compared to SQL databases. They asked me why I chose epic. No logic or technical questions beyond that.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2017.

Interview

I met with Epic Systems representatives at my college's career fair. From there, I received an email to schedule a ~35 minute phone interview with "x" person. I schedule said interview.

Come the specified date and time I did not receive a phone call until 45 minutes after the interview was supposed to start from someone other than "x" person. By this point I could not begin the interview because I had an obligatory group meeting for a class project in 10 minutes. The interviewer asks me to follow up with the head recruiter to schedule a new interview time. I sent an email immediately after the call and never received a reply. Needless to say, this is highly unprofessional behavior, and I did not expect this from a company like Epic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in October 2017.

Interview

Initial call, online skills assessment, then they bring you in. Call is why you want to join Epic and a project you've worked on, and the skills assessment included a new programming language that they created and test you on it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Epic?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in October 2017.

Interview

First there is an online assessment and phone interview. If they like what they see they will fly you out for an onsite. The experience as a hole was pretty smooth and easy.