Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.9

688 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

They contacted me through a university recruiting site and invited me to apply for the position. You were able to mark whether you were invited to apply by a recruiter and this sent you straight to getting a phone interview and coding challenge. The coding challenge was through a proctoring website (ProctorU) but they forced you to contact the proctor every time you clicked outside of the tab, which was annoying if you don't have every single small detail of the coding language you're using memorized. The coding part was three parts, one was how many problems you can solve in 2 mins (mathematical, logic puzzles), one of learning to use their made up language with multiple choice questions, and the last part had 4 coding questions. If you have a CS background, you're only allowed to use Java or C/C++.

Interview Questions

• They say you should only need basic data structures and algorithms but their coding questions required DP knowledge.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Software Developer Interview

Interview

There are three parts- a phone screen, a remotely-proctored online assessment, and an on-site interview. I made it to the online assessment.

The phone screen is actually very straightforward. They just want to know why you're interested in the company, and have you walk them through a project you've done in the past to demonstrate good background.

The online assessment was the worst interview experience I've ever had but not because of the assessment itself. If you're not familiar with ProctorU, it's a remote proctoring service where you screen-share and have your room monitored for the entirety of an examination. You get one bathroom break and a fairly intrusive environment where you need to open up a port in your computer for them to view incoming/outgoing traffic. The exam involves having you solve some standard programming questions, a speed-focused logic section, and an interesting section where you learn Epic's internal language on the fly and answer some questions about it. So this assessment seems to take people 2-4 hours.

My issue had less to do with the assessment itself (which I thought was interesting and quite fair) and more to do with ProctorU. If your connection bugs out for a few seconds, your assessment is paused and you may wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for a new proctor to show up, during which you aren't allowed to go and take a bathroom break. So I spent a total of about an hour dealing with technical difficulties during/between sections because my bandwidth was about average and not capable of keeping up a constant, good-quality stream to a remote location while taking an exam in real time.

Overall if they figure out some way to ensure compliance without using a program like ProctorU, or just defaulting to onsites, that'd be great. I think the online assessment was actually a pretty interesting and otherwise useful system. But the online assessment was, for me, a pretty bad experience just because of the proctoring software.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

Starts with a short, easy phone interview then a very long and tedious online skills test. The ProctorU system is really terrible. They also have you do a 30 minute personality quiz with very weird questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Epic?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Phone interview. I really enjoyed talking with the interviewer. They were very polite and conversational. They called me and asked about some of the projects on my resume. Wanted my opinion on NoSQL databases compared to SQL databases. They asked me why I chose epic. No logic or technical questions beyond that.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2017.

Interview

I met with Epic Systems representatives at my college's career fair. From there, I received an email to schedule a ~35 minute phone interview with "x" person. I schedule said interview.

Come the specified date and time I did not receive a phone call until 45 minutes after the interview was supposed to start from someone other than "x" person. By this point I could not begin the interview because I had an obligatory group meeting for a class project in 10 minutes. The interviewer asks me to follow up with the head recruiter to schedule a new interview time. I sent an email immediately after the call and never received a reply. Needless to say, this is highly unprofessional behavior, and I did not expect this from a company like Epic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in October 2017.

Interview

Initial call, online skills assessment, then they bring you in. Call is why you want to join Epic and a project you've worked on, and the skills assessment included a new programming language that they created and test you on it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Epic?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through my universities career website to apply. Very soon after submitting my application I was sent a link to take a Rembrandt personality test and to schedule a phone interview. My phone interview was scheduled for about 7 days later, at which point I was also sent a skills assessment through ProctorU.

I had prepared for my interview by reading other responses here and was expecting to just talk about my project experience and learn more about the position, but I was also asked several technical questions, while most people here didn't report being asked these, so I was caught off-guard. The employee conducting my phone interview sounded pretty monotonous and bored until I asked him about his current work at the end. The interview was 30 minutes but it wasn't enough time for me to go into more technical depth of my project experience like they were asking (and complete the other interview objectives) and I had to skim over pretty important parts of my project and skills just to fit in the allotted interview time.

I felt like I was adequately prepared for the skills assessment from reading other responses but was expecting questions related more to algorithms. It took me 3 hours to complete the assessment. All my programming questions ended up being about different string manipulation problems, which I knew how to solve mostly. However, it was so different from my expectations that it caught me off-guard, and I don't think I did as well as I could have. There's no way to compile your code, so you have to hope what you wrote was correct and understandable. As a CS major I was required to use Java, C, or C++. The other two portions of the assessment were a series of 15-20 logic/math puzzles that I had to solve in 2 minutes, and learning their "fake" language syntax and answering some questions on it. Those two sections of the assessment were fine. ProctorU is kind of annoying to set up, but I got my computer set up with it and through the proctor evaluation at the beginning in under 10 minutes. I really didn't like the ProctorU system, though. Your proctor doesn't actually know anything about Epic or software development or the exam contents, and the ProctorU system requires remote control over your computer. Plus you need a very stable and reliable internet connection or it's almost impossible to use.

I took my skills assessment and then had my phone interview the next day. My interviewer told me that they would get back to me within the next week about whether or not they would continue with my application, but it's been 3 weeks since my interview, so I'm guessing I'm not getting the job. I've even sent a follow-up email with the recruiter who had been in contact with me throughout the entire process, but still have received no response. I'll update this post if/when they ever get back to me.

Interview Questions

• How to iterate through a list (in both directions) without loops? and What are the differences between a LinkedList and a Vector, when would you use one over the other, and how does each insert/delete items? (phone interview questions)   Answer Question
    • Rearrange strings to favor assonance, anagrams (with specific rules) (programming questions)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in October 2017.

Interview

I was emailed by a recruiter, giving me a link to apply at. You'll fill out a few forms and submit your resume. There's then a phone interview, that's very casual feeling. Then there's a skills assessment that's very long and difficult. It has three parts: speed round, technical, and programming. I recommend finding some "speed round" practice tests that test you on solving as many problems in short, limited amount of time. The technical part isn't terrible. They explain the syntax of a made up language and you have to answer questions related to how a given expression will be interpreted based on that. The programming part is an ugly beast. First, you have to use a poorly executed service called ProctorU that feels very intrusive and very clunky. Research the service. It's a good idea, but horribly executed. I might recommend having the assessment scheduled at an official testing center as opposed to using your personal computer. There will be 4 programming problems to solve, which can be done in C, C++, Java, or Python, and there's no compiling during the exam. I barely finished the first problem, and didn't finish the others. I had to resort to very vague pseudocode. I highly recommend visiting a website called open.kattis.com and practice as many problems as possible. It will only help. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Interview Questions

• Why I want to work at Epic, why I want that particular position, and what projects have I worked on before.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

There's an initial call, then some online testing, then they have you come in. If you live far away (a lot of people who work at Epic seem to come from surprisingly far away), they'll pay for your travel and stay to come in. When you come in, it seems like they're more trying to sell themselves to you than having you sell yourself to them. Most of the questions directed at you seem to be just to get to know you more so than seeing if you know what you need to know. They'll have you talk with someone in your field, show some demos of their software, give you a tour and give you lunch at their biggest cafeteria for free. Lastly, they'll hand you off to HR to answer the rest of your questions before letting you go. As far as I can tell, if they've brought you in, they're planning on hiring you.

Interview Questions

• In the testing, they teach you this made up language that has really weird properties to it and ask you questions to test your understanding of it. It was surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

A phone interview where you walk through a project you have done, an online assessment, and an onsite interview in Madison. The online assessment is long but not particularly hard. After the assessment, it took them a while to get back to me. Onsite, you have an HR interview (standard weaknesses/strengths stuff) and an interview with a full time developer where you talk about a project you've done.