Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 8, 2017

298 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Had a phone interview with a guy and a ridiculous assessment.

Phone interview was standard. Discussed projects and the company.

The assessment was a waste of time. Expect to spend quite a bit of time setting up software so someone can stare at you through your webcam and listen to everything that goes on in your testing environment. Expect to walk around the room to show the proctor every wall and ceiling so you can't cheat. Expect to have no bathroom breaks. Everything must be quiet.

The exam itself is not difficult but VERY long. I do not know how they expect everyone to have the mental stamina to sit through hours upon hours of questions and coding problems.

My coding solutions were correct but not optimal. I had to pee so I turned it in anyways.

Huge waste of time. Would not recommend.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

There are several parts to the interview process. The first is a phone interview and ask about how you came to know about the company and a few questions about yourself and projects. Next is a times, technical online assessment you take at home. Finally there is an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• How did you come to know about Epic.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in October 2017.

Interview

Talked to recruiters at campus event, scheduled a phone interview and online assessment within a few weeks of starting the application process.
    Phone interview was behavioral, talked about the position, why I applied to Epic, and about one of my projects I have worked on.
    Online assessment was composed of three sections, one speed logic/math, one about a fake coding language they give you the rules for, and one with 4 coding challenges.

Currently waiting on next steps.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to Epic?
      Tell me about a project you have worked on.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview was fairly rigorous because of online testing procedures. It took around 4 hours because proctor U was fairly difficult to set up and I also had a phone interview. In the programming section of the assessment test I quickly put together responses because the test took too long.

Interview Questions

• Can you extend more than one class in Java.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied at a career fair at my university. I got an email really soon after that asking to set up a phone interview, and set up a time to do a skills test. The phone interview was super casual, basically just going over my resume. The skills test was 3 parts, and the coding part was really difficult. They don't let you use any references, even things that are publicly available. You also can't compile and run your code, so you just have to wing it and hope it works. Plus they have you hooked up to an actual human proctor the whole time, which was weird. You have to show the proctor around the room you're in, and you can't have anybody in the room with you AT ALL during the test. I had to kick my husband out of our apartment for almost 4 hours last second, because they don't tell you that that's a rule you have to abide by until you're actually talking to the proctor. Haven't heard back about doing an onsite interview yet, but I can update this if I get accepted for that or rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call. It was mainly a behavioral type of interview. The people were friendly, and it seems like a good fit. Then, I was sent an invite to complete the online assessment at a fixed time in the next 5 days.

I went into the interview and had no exposure to ProctorU. Although you have the benefit of being at home while taking a test, the process felt really invasive. The proctor is looking at you through your computer screen the entire time. They don't tell you that you should have a water bottle ready, luckily I had one with me. The interview set up took about an hour to fully work. I had an authentication stage where I had to verify my information with ProctorU. They asked me information about myself which I didn't know they had (old phone numbers/emails/family emails etc).

The interview took about 4-5 hours, which I didn't know before hand. 1 section was an ACT/SAT type as others said. 1 section tested your knowledge on learning a new language. They give you a set of rules to learn, and then you answer questions based on all language rules that they have introduced to you.

Then, the final part was 4 questions to program. They are questions you can find on leetcode. I would say 2 easy and 2 medium types. You could not compile your code. They also wrote "cs majors must use java/c++, c." Since I had not used any of these languages in a year given that I mostly worked with javascript and python, I used python. I think that any language that the candidate prefers given the list of options should be respected. What about data scientists who use python? I think they have these biases that don't make sense.

Then, I was sent a link to complete my rembrandt profile. This too was a test! It tested your personality as well as your ability to answer arbitrary analogy problems that the ACT/SAT discarded less than 10 years ago. Please take a hint from people who make the ACT/SAT and do the same with this section.

Overall, I felt that the technology interview process was outdated especially the ACT/SAT/personality type. I don't feel comfortable with any company relying on a personality quiz to hire candidates. The entire interview with ProctorU was a huge time sinker, which the emails from Epic did not warn me about or telling me how ProctorU works.

That said, I did appreciate the phone screen prior to the technical interview. If the process was reversed, I would not have done the test.

Given that this was an internship interview, it seems as if it is the same caliber of a full-time software developer.

Overall, the process could definitely be condensed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past projects   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Lengthy interview process - an online assessment, phone interview, and personality test. The online assessment was by far the most frustrating aspect- a stranger across the world watched as I completed a three-hour long assessment. The test itself wasn't too bad, had questions related to string manipulation and designing a game. Phone interview also wasn't bad, although I had quite a few general questions about the medical records industry that the interviewer wasn't able to answer. Received an email saying they had decided to move on with other candidates. I responded to the email and asked for more specific feedback, since the process had taken up a lot of time, but didn't hear back. Overall, I think this interview process reflects poorly on the company. What's wrong with a normal Hackerrank test, or what's wrong with a recruiter personally keeping in contact with you? The whole process was very impersonal.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation, designing a game; during phone interview, had to walk through a technical project I had done.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Started with a phone call with a Developer and taking an online personality test. Then i had to take a proctor U assessment. I felt I did excellent on the coding portion of the assessment but got rejected. When I asked what I did wrong I didn't get a reply.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a software engineer who asked me about previous projects I've worked on and gave a good overview of what he worked on in the company and what the company does in general. I then had to take a long, tough technical interview with a speed test on basic math/logic, a series of multiple choice questions about a made-up programming language, and 4 programming problems. If you're a CS major they ask you to do the problems in C, C++, Java. They use an online proctoring program called ProctorU to give the test. Make sure your webcam, audio, and microphone all work before your assessment time, as I had issues, which delayed the start time of the test. Waiting to see if I will move on to an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• There is an alarm keypad that has faulty buttons, so the keypad has to accept some incorrect codes, so long as the code contains digits which are in the correct code, in the correct order. For example, if the correct code is "13654", the keypad should accept "13", "165", and "354". Write a program that accepts an input code and determines if it should be accepted or rejected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in February 2017.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with representative. It was a 15 minute behavioral interview. The representative who talked with me was switched last minute, so he was not prepared that well for the interview. Despite this, he was very polite and nice about it.