Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in June 2017.

Interview

After getting through the initial phone screen and several online assessments, I was invited to an on-site interview. The day started at 8:30 a.m. and I was done by about 1:30 p.m. The first 45 minutes was an informal group conversation with an Epic staff member and all of the other people interviewing that day for various roles around the company. The staff member covered the basics about the company and then gave a software demo, which was kind of a waste of time since the projector stopped working and so all 10 of us had to huddle around her laptop. After that we each followed our own unique schedule that had been created for us. For me, I had a 30 minute conversation with someone from the Tech Comm department, a 45-minute case study activity, which only took about half the time so the other half was spent in informal conversation with the staff person who facilitated the activity. Then there was a campus tour with 2 other applicants, led by yet another staff member. This was a 30-minute walking tour and we barely saw any of the campus because there just wasn't enough time - but we got the general gist. After that, I had a 30 minute interview with the HR recruiter assigned to me and she reviewed my references list, application, and transcripts with me - then discussed additional roles that might be a good fit for me. Finally, another staff member came and picked up 5 of us for lunch - which was completely delicious and awesome. My last activity for the day was a 90 minute writing assessment - which took me less than an hour to complete and I was taking my time. It was easier than the writing assessment I had taken from home before the interview. All in all, it was a really great experience. Everyone was super nice.

A few tips: I know it's been said over and over, but when they say dress casually, they mean it. Folks were wearing jeans, t-shirts, shorts, even flip flops. It does absolutely nothing for you if you overdress, and you'll just be uncomfortable. I wore jeans and a nice blouse with flats, and wished I had worn tennis shoes by the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say you need to improve or work on?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in August 2016.

Interview

I had an online interview that went great. A current technical writer was the one who called me and we spoke for a good 40 minutes. The conversation (it didn't even seem like an interview since I was very comfortable) went really well where he asked me a few questions about my resume, asked me typical interview questions (Why Epic? Why this position? Where do I see myself in five years? etc). I know that I did well for this portion.

I also took a writing assessment that gave me three writing prompts and I had to answer them. This took the full two hours for me. They weren't hard at all, the only difficult part was that it was timed. I also had to take a personality test. This was really weird. I've never taken one before so the questions caught me off guard. There were also repeats of the same questions, which I think is meant to see if you respond the same for all of them.

After the first phone interview, I had to take another assessment that included writing, math, logic, coding. THIS IS WHERE I'M SURE THE COMPANY DECIDED TO PASS ME OVER. It was really difficult to say the least. For someone who doesn't have any coding experience, and the last time I did legit math was four plus years ago, it was extremely difficult. For the writing section, IT WAS THE SAME TEST I HAD TAKEN A WEEK BEFORE! So I was thrown off and pretty upset that I spent an extra two hours the week before crafting the same response. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or not. On the plus side, I already knew the questions and how to answer them so it took me much less time answering this time around.

Two weeks later, a HR contact sent me a standard email saying I was not moving forward. Again, I'm positive it was the assessment portion since the phone interview went really well IMO.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume online, so I submitted my resume to Epic. A few weeks later I was asked to schedule a 30 minute phone interview within a week or so. The phone interview was pleasant and brief...the interviewer basically walked through my resume and I discussed each point, starting at my education all the way through my current job and why I'm applying to Epic. She then told me a little about the technical writing position and I asked a few questions at the end. It took about 15 minutes. Several days later I received emails to schedule an online proctored test, a timed writing test and a 20 minute personality test. I just finished the proctored test and it was challenging for me. I found the most difficult parts to be some logic questions where they made 3 to 4 points about a subject and then followed with a statement. You had to determine if the statement was true, probably true, indeterminate, probably false or false. There was also a table with missing values based on percentages that you had to fill in. That was harder than it looked. I don't have a good feeling about being called back, but I'm about to start my writing test. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to discuss each school and job that you listed on your resume for the phone interview. Pretty basic stuff.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in July 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was simple. The interviewer was very nice and asked basic questions. The Writing Sample test was a bit challenging only because there was a 2hr time limit. The infamous technical assessment tests, especially the math section, was difficult. I didn't understand a lot of the programming questions because I was never exposed to that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and completed the initial tests and writing sample within 24 hours of completing my phone interview and receiving my materials. I was told that I was a candidate that they are "extremely interested in" so I passed on other job opportunities while waiting to hear back. It's been 6 months now, and I just found out that they will not be hiring any technical writers for 2016.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Applied online. A week later I was emailed to schedule a phone interview with someone working in the same position as the one I applied for. The phone interview was short, mostly a getting-to-know-you kind of thing. She asked a few questions, and told me more about Epic. I also had to take a writing test, which was timed.
    Two days later, I was asked to sign up for the infamous Skills Assessment test as well as a personality test with a company called Rembrandt. The personality test was frustrating. I got asked the same questions repeatedly. The Skills Assessment test had a live proctor. The most difficult part was the programming section, in which I had to answer questions about a code they had made up. My math skills were rusty and I've never done any programming, so it was difficult. People have posted a few of the questions they had online, but none of those showed up on the test. Honestly, there's no good way to prepare.
    I got asked to an onsite interview. I have that coming up, so we'll see how it goes.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Submitted an application and was asked to submit a timed writing sample as well as a basic phone interview. Then came the skills assessment test which contained two math sections (one timed), a programming section (somewhat difficult with no programming experience at all), and a verbal reasoning section. I didn't get offered a position as a technical writer but they placed me in another position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university and received an email to do a phone interview after I sent them my college transcripts. I had to leave the country last minute so I missed the first phone call and had to reschedule. I talked to a technical writer for the first phone interview 3 weeks after applying. I was then sent a writing prompt to complete which took 2 full hours. It wasn't too hard though

I passed that and was sent an email to schedule a proctored assessment. The programming was the hardest part by far - the other sections took me less than an hour to complete. I also had to complete a Rembrandt personality exam and am waiting to hear back.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and invited to apply. I had a brief, very basic phone interview, and had to complete a writing sample as well as a logic assessment. Currently waiting to hear from the company.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in May 2015.

Interview

First, I was contacted to do a phone interview. This was with a woman in the Technical Communications department who was very kind and helpful. Afterwards, they had me take a personality test and do an online writing assessment with three different prompts that were timed. Then, after that, I had to sign up for a series of online tests through an online proctor. This part was a pain. The proctoring site was very unprofessional. My appointment was made a minimum of 24 hours in advance. I made it for 12:30 but the proctor wasn't even ready until 1:00, at which point it took another 20 minutes to just get set up. After that, I kept have issues throughout my tests where the system would lock me out for no reason. The whole thing ended up taking about 3 hours, which was a bit miserable. Additionally, the test had a lot of math in it, which I felt was irrelevant to testing my ability to be a good technical writer. The day after the test they told me they were going to pursue other candidates, but encouraged me to apply to other positions. However, I was not about to go through this process again, only to get turned down after having committed so much of my time.