Epic Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Technical Writer Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic in October 2017.

Interview

So far, I've only had a phone interview. The interviewer was very friendly - it felt less like an interview and more like we were just having a nice conversation. I was asked fairly standard interview questions: why Epic? Why did you choose your major/minor? Would you be interested in traveling? Etc. The interview lasted about 40 minutes. At the end, I was told that my assigned HR rep would get back to me in about a week. True to their word, one week later I received an email asking me to schedule an in-person interview for a different position at Epic.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic in November 2017.

Interview

After applying, I received an email asking me to schedule a phone interview and to take a personality test. After scheduling the interview, I was sent another email asking me to complete some online tests. I wish there would have been some kind of description about these tests because I was completely unprepared. I had read a lot of reviews on here, and knew that I would be required to take tests, but I did not realize how intense these would be and that there would be somebody watching me take the test over my webcam. If I had known what to expect, I would have been better prepared, but instead, I found myself sprawled out on the couch in my pajamas taking a test on intense math and coding while some creepy dude watched me and I had to ask permission to use the bathroom and pause my test. Not cool. I then took the phone interview a few days later, which went great. A week later I received an email saying that they would not be moving forward with me. I was so disappointed. A) I wish I could have the opportunity to retake the test because I know I would have performed way better if I had been in the correct mindset. And B) They never even got to see my writing- which is what I applied to do there. They made a judgement not to move forward with me because of how I performed on a test that was irrelevant to my position.

Interview Questions

• If you were offered multiple jobs, how would you decide what company to go with?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic.

Interview

Applied online, received an email shortly thereafter to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 mins, talked with an employee in the technical writing department. Both a few days before and a few days after the interview I took some skills/personality assessments online. Got an email a week after the interview informing me I wouldn't be advancing to the next round (in-person interview). Overall, process was thorough but fair. It was a somewhat significant time investment, but I thought this would be a good gig so I'm at peace with my decision to pursue the position.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in June 2017.

Interview

After getting through the initial phone screen and several online assessments, I was invited to an on-site interview. The day started at 8:30 a.m. and I was done by about 1:30 p.m. The first 45 minutes was an informal group conversation with an Epic staff member and all of the other people interviewing that day for various roles around the company. The staff member covered the basics about the company and then gave a software demo, which was kind of a waste of time since the projector stopped working and so all 10 of us had to huddle around her laptop. After that we each followed our own unique schedule that had been created for us. For me, I had a 30 minute conversation with someone from the Tech Comm department, a 45-minute case study activity, which only took about half the time so the other half was spent in informal conversation with the staff person who facilitated the activity. Then there was a campus tour with 2 other applicants, led by yet another staff member. This was a 30-minute walking tour and we barely saw any of the campus because there just wasn't enough time - but we got the general gist. After that, I had a 30 minute interview with the HR recruiter assigned to me and she reviewed my references list, application, and transcripts with me - then discussed additional roles that might be a good fit for me. Finally, another staff member came and picked up 5 of us for lunch - which was completely delicious and awesome. My last activity for the day was a 90 minute writing assessment - which took me less than an hour to complete and I was taking my time. It was easier than the writing assessment I had taken from home before the interview. All in all, it was a really great experience. Everyone was super nice.

A few tips: I know it's been said over and over, but when they say dress casually, they mean it. Folks were wearing jeans, t-shirts, shorts, even flip flops. It does absolutely nothing for you if you overdress, and you'll just be uncomfortable. I wore jeans and a nice blouse with flats, and wished I had worn tennis shoes by the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say you need to improve or work on?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic.

Interview

This was probably one of them most dignified interview experiences I've ever had with a company. The HR representative who was in contact with me kept me updated during every part of the recruitment process, and the technical writer who phone-screened me was unbelievably courteous, professional, and pleasantly relaxed. You'll know where you are every step of the way. In each email they send you, they have a header that highlights each part of the process ("application," "phone interview," "assessment," "final interview," "offer") as you go along. I found this so refreshing, so ingenious, that I came here just to give a positive review for that. I'm bummed I didn't get to the "final interview" portion, but I have to give props to them. Most employers won't even email you - not even once - to tell you they're not interested in you. Epic will tell you at least that.

Simply apply to a job with them to experience their interview process and hope you do well during the assessments. To be honest I wish the tests weren't part of the process. I know this is where I was disqualified so be ready to give them your all if you apply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in August 2016.

Interview

I had an online interview that went great. A current technical writer was the one who called me and we spoke for a good 40 minutes. The conversation (it didn't even seem like an interview since I was very comfortable) went really well where he asked me a few questions about my resume, asked me typical interview questions (Why Epic? Why this position? Where do I see myself in five years? etc). I know that I did well for this portion.

I also took a writing assessment that gave me three writing prompts and I had to answer them. This took the full two hours for me. They weren't hard at all, the only difficult part was that it was timed. I also had to take a personality test. This was really weird. I've never taken one before so the questions caught me off guard. There were also repeats of the same questions, which I think is meant to see if you respond the same for all of them.

After the first phone interview, I had to take another assessment that included writing, math, logic, coding. THIS IS WHERE I'M SURE THE COMPANY DECIDED TO PASS ME OVER. It was really difficult to say the least. For someone who doesn't have any coding experience, and the last time I did legit math was four plus years ago, it was extremely difficult. For the writing section, IT WAS THE SAME TEST I HAD TAKEN A WEEK BEFORE! So I was thrown off and pretty upset that I spent an extra two hours the week before crafting the same response. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or not. On the plus side, I already knew the questions and how to answer them so it took me much less time answering this time around.

Two weeks later, a HR contact sent me a standard email saying I was not moving forward. Again, I'm positive it was the assessment portion since the phone interview went really well IMO.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

Began with a short phone interview the on to online testing which you can do on-site or from where you are but someone watches you take the test through your webcam if you do it remote. Final stage was an in-person interview with a group and one on one as well as a tour of the campus in Verona, WI.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in November 2017.

Interview

The phone interview seemed to be fishing for more about my age than my experience. You could tell the HR person had zero experience, asking question like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" They said they would set up in-person interview, and then kept me hanging for a month only to say we choose someone else. The place seemed like some sort of clique.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic.

Interview

Overall the experience was good, but stressful. It is a rigorous application process, mostly because of the testing. It felt like the standardized tests from high school all over again. Unfortunately, the tests aren't catered to the English major.

Much of the test is geared towards the technical applicants (which is understandable, since this is the majority of the company). The logic/coding test is not easy. It might even be impossible if you have no training in coding or are bad with logic. I would guess I got 40% at best, and that's because I took calculus back in high school and miraculously remembered some. But if you are a writer, I wouldn't bother worrying over this part. It's not something you can study for or brush up on. You either know it or you don't. But don't despair!

As a writer, there was an extra test geared towards technical writing. It was pretty easy if you've had a little training in technical writing. This is where you get to show what you know.

Everything else is simple, high school math with a little logic. Just take a deep breath and do your best!

Interview Questions

• What would be the biggest motivator for accepting this job?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic.

Interview

Very unusual. I put the "no opinion" because the positives cancelled the negatives of the interview. The email I received a day before the interview outlined an assessment and personality test I had to take. I didn't think twice about it, because I had already had to take a few for other jobs I was interviewing for. However, they failed to mention that the test was proctored. It was very uncomfortable, and made it practically impossible to concentrate on the test knowing someone was watching you- at least for me it was. They proctor actually told me to stop reading the questions aloud, which caught me off guard even more.

However, the phone interview I had was amazing. The woman was so nice, and went through every line in my CV asking about my work experiences and research, etc. It was very easy talking to her.
    The proctoring, however, I was not at all a fan of.