Escalate Social Media Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Escalate

1 Interview Review

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Escalate (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I initially applied to this position via LinkedIn, and got a response from a manager a week or two after, asking if I could do a phone interview. Initial communication was prompt and detailed, and I looked forward to the interview. The phone interview went well, and was not overly stressful or difficult. I was asked to state my salary expectations by email afterwards, and said I was hoping for about $50k. They stressed that this was an entry-level position and was fixed at $40k. I think that could've easily been stated in the job description rather than going through the "salary expectations" nonsense. But I said $40k would work. I was then asked if I would like to come in for an interview at their office.

The interview itself was with only one manager in the conference room (it's a medium room that could easily fit 25 people, and has a great view of the lower Hudson river). I wasn't introduced to any other employee during my time at the office. The interviewing manager asked me a bunch of conversational questions regarding my experience working in NYC, my education, and relevant experience. It was a pleasant interview, but I didn't feel like it was overly organized or practiced (for better or worse). There were a lot of questions about my knowledge and previous projects, and what I was competent in relating to social media. It wasn't stressful at all, and I left feeling very confident that I was a serious contender for the role. The manager said they would be in touch with me after speaking with the higher level management and HR, and to expect a self-assessment from HR. I completed the self-assessment immediately upon receiving it, and was also asked by email to send three references. I submitted my three references as well, and sent an email confirming I had done all of this. This is where things went downhill--I received no further emails, calls, or any communications from the interviewing manager, not even to tell me they had gone with someone else. I didn't even receive an email confirming the manager had received my self-evaluation or references. I sent a follow-up email one week later, and again received no response. At that point I stopped and assumed they would not be returning any of my emails (I had already sent three that had gone unanswered).

I think the way this interview was handled at every turn after the interview itself was extraordinarily unprofessional, unwarranted and rude. I am frankly happy to keep looking for a job deserving of my skill than get hung up on a place so poorly and incompetently run. It's one thing to ignore a job application cold, but I think it's really poor form to ignore an applicant who you've already interviewed in person and with whom you have had two weeks of correspondence.

Their current office is in a very traditional office space in the financial district, with most employees sitting at half-cubicles in the hallway, and higher level employees having windowed offices. It's not a very evolved layout hierarchy.

Interview Questions

• I didn't think any question was overly unexpected or difficult. It was very relevant and went very much as I thought it would.   Answer Question