Esri Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Esri Account Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Esri

2.9

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Esri in January 2017.

Interview

I had four phone interviews with three different people over about a three month period. The first interview was with HR, the second with the local government sales manager, the third with the director of state and local government and the fourth with both HR and the director of state and local government. I was in the interview process for Account manager - local government major metro east which would represent tier 1 agencies. Overall, I thought I was doing well in the process considering they kept scheduling follow up interviews but ultimately they said they thought I was better suited for a lower tier (4-5) position. They said they needed someone to hit the ground running and wouldn't have time to train me. (The position is still not filled and I applied in December 2016) HR said that I fit the company culture and that other positions would be opening up later in the year. She even said to use her as a contact if I saw a position that I wanted to apply for. A few weeks ago two more positions opened for account manager - local government. I applied for both and called my contact at HR and left a message with my interest in still working for Esri. I did not receive a call back but I did notice my career dashboard account had been updated with "not a fit" for both of the positions. I'm not sure what happened as it was only 5 months ago that HR claimed I would be a good fit for different position. I was disappointed that so much of my time was wasted going through this process. I wish they would have been truthful if they didn't think I was qualified for any of the positions.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about interactions with County Executive staff and Department Directors.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Esri

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Esri (Charlotte, NC) in May 2019.

Interview

Interviews at multiple levels (five total) from local to regional to national folks. Moved quickly enough (few weeks). Very open and easy going. No skills test. I am curious to see what kind of GIS knowledge is required (not an issue for me, but still).

Interview Questions

• Interest in the company and its work.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

Was contacted by email 3 weeks after submitting online application to schedule a video call, which was scheduled 2 weeks after. The call with a HR manager lasted ~40 minutes, consisting of fairly standard screening questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you think would be the most challenging part about this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Esri (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Over the course of seven weeks, I had five interviews for the Account Manager position. All of these were scheduled with less than 2 days notice. I was often not offered more than one time option. On one occasion I was told that the person that was going to interview me "might get pulled away for a call with the CEO and not be able to make it." ESRI expected me to leave my current job in the middle of the day to meet with someone who may not show up.

After my fifth interview, I was told that they would like to offer me the position, and an offer letter was being drafted. Since we had only spoken on Skype or over the phone since beginning the process, I asked if I could visit the office once before accepting the offer. They said yes. Over the course of the next several weeks, they failed to schedule a time, asking me to keep 2-3 different days during each week free (during the business day) so that I could meet when their team was available.

Despite their asking me to keep several times open during each week for three consecutive weeks, I was never able to visit the office. Finally, two days after another request by Esri to block off time for a potential office visit, I got a voicemail from HR saying that I would not be moving forward in the process.

Neither the HR contact nor the supervisor of this position could be reached to give me feedback after this process.

Early in these negotiations, I was very excited about the opportunity of working for Esri, but after this disorganized, drawn-out, and disappointing process (which validated many negative reviews I had read on sites like this), I feel that I have avoided a potentially disaterous career move.

Interview Questions

• Watch this video and tell us what you notice. (Video about Esri products used to implement business analysis)   Answer Question
    • What is one sales job you have had, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • Are you adaptable?   Answer Question
    • How would you define GIS for the lay person?   Answer Question
    • Describe you understanding of what this job is. (Asked by every individual I interview with)   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

I first had an hour and a half phone screening to determine if I was a fit for the company and the position. The next week I had a two hour interview with my potential boss and HR, followed the next day by a shorter interview with next level up leadership. Initial interview was based on my qualifications and job specific Q&A, follow up interview was behavioral. The next week I was made an offer, I accepted. From beginning to end a positive, quickly flowing process. The employees I talked to while there spoke highly of the company and the team environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your job experience and why you are right for this job?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

Slow, 4 layers of interviews. Phone screenings from HR and the Hiring manager. One on one interviews with the hiring manager, sales director, HR and finally a group interview/presentation with IS, the sales team and HR. From initial interview to hire it was about a three month process. Final interview was a group presentation via video conference. The process was long but it wasn't particularly difficult or rigours. Mostly just conversations where I felt like I could be myself.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They pay by the hour which makes it difficult to benchmark. Esri HR will tell you their compensation is based on a 48 hour work week. I've been here 18 months and have never worked less than 55. Because there's so much over time, when you take vacation, and log a 40 hour week, you take a pay cut.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Esri in January 2015.

Interview

I have had originally submitted an online job application for a consultant position which they have said I was not the right person for it but that they were interested in me for other position in direction project Management. Then we had the first interview, which went more or less ok with normal questions of my CV, interest, why I left what companies etc. The process overall was quite quick and easy.

Then they called me once more with a position in Sales (Account Manager) that they have open because HR thought this could be something for me.
    I have originally asked all the questions that were important for me since I had never worked officially as a Sales man, they said that is ok they are looking for someone who has enough consulting experience that can take up this role. Here is where things did not really go well. I have had anther interview with the hiring managers, the one for this particular vertical they need support and the manager of the overall sales division (this guy was not really interested in the meeting to being with and sort of played bad cop really badly…) The other manager never really answered me the important questions that I have asked like "in how many projects do you work at the moment?" how many opportunities do you have in the pipeline?" "How big are the deals?" "Who are the decision makers in your customers? CEO, CFO, CTO ,Head of? Etc." I had never got a real answer to all that which make think they are really under a lot of pressure and lots of work but they do not want to communicate this in order not to scare people which turns out to be exactly the opposite for me since exactly that behavior has scared me! Not to know what expects you in the job!
    The other turned out was the fact that this company does not have a bonus schema for the employees, not even in Sales, this did not really make sense for me…what is the motivation for sales if you do not get any commission on Sales? They seems to be a company stuck in the 60’s...
    If you want to go to a progressive and modern software company then avoid this one!

Esri Response

Jan 27, 2015 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback on your experience with us. Often in our interview process we look at candidates broadly as a fit for the company as opposed to a fit for a certain... More

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

Three phone interviews over the phone, then in person interview. The process was bad: I had a great meeting with the Hiring Manager and had to keep on top of the HR department to schedule the in person interview. After it finely got the interview scheduled the HR department emails me a few days before and ask for a full presentation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would sell our product to a X. They wanted a full PPT telling who to sell to and how they would use ESRI product.   Answer Question

Sr. Managers have no sales experience outside of ESRI and are trying to hire sales people who don't get paid commission. only by the hour.. What sales person wants that.

Esri Response

Jan 13, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Many factors go into scheduling interviews, and our process is lengthy. We want to learn about candidates and ensure they have an opportunity to hear... More

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

It was a pretty basic telephone interview. The interviewer was late to call but was apologetic.

Interview Questions

• Standard "walk me through your resume" question and basic experience questions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Esri in November 2010.

Interview

Former customer, hiring manager recruited me. Resume submitted, interview trip scheduled and executed. spent a full day interviewing with several staff, lunch, etc. Negotiation on salary and closed the deal. It was more of a series of measure up sessions rather than a formal interview trying to get a sense of whether or not I would fit in. In other words, finding good fits for the unique culture was more important than other skills and abilities however they were quite familiar with me so perhaps they felt them already knew the rest.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any difficult questions. Mix of questions about experience and what if questions in terms of how I would handle different situations.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated a modest increase above initial offer, should have negotiated for more vacation time.