Esri Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 17, 2017

2.9

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Esri (Redlands, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. Not the first incident with Esri. There have been a few other phone screens with this company and my background absolutely has the background and experience but cannot get feedback nor are they professional.

Interview Questions

• Not really a question as more of a perspective. Poor interviewer. Far too much attitude especially when asked about the environment and management style and philosophy. I would not even consider working for this company. I save companies in the millions and generate revenue in the millions and if this is the type of recruiter at this level I can only imagine what it is to work for this company. I don't care how successful a business has been. You DO NOT treat candidates this way especially considering their expertise and background. If they can take time out to meet with you you can provide the courtesy and respect. They are interviewing you as well as you the candidate. The interview was not difficult other than disrespect shown by the recruiter doing the interviewing. Nor did I even receive the courtesy to have a call back thanking me for my time but they had chosen another candidate. Stay Away from this company!   1 Answer

Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

First phone interview : HR Lady. Unprofessional. Asked some weird questions, and basically told me that this job works long hours with low pay and no advancement, and that I needed to be "passionate" about their company.

Second phone interview : Tech guy. Was nice, asked questions and I answered them.

Third phone interview : We discussed salary. They were paying slight over half of what I was looking for. I laughed and said, "Yeah no thanks." Never got to the "offer" stage, which is just as well.

Interview Questions

• Know the definitions of geographic vs. projected coordinate system, definition of UNC, IP, DNS, other miscellaneous questions about servers and networking.   Answer Question
    • Some idiotic question about how to figure out which lightbulbs are burned out.   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Esri in June 2016.

Interview

2 interviews with Hunan Resources by phone. Each interview lasted 2 hours. 2 interviews in redlands also 1 hour each. First interview was a screening interview trying to figure out where I'd be a good fit. Second interview was determining business acumen & sales interest. Final interview was 1 part technical vetting 1 part standard interview. Strengths, weaknesses, examples of overcoming work challenge, describe how geography impacts a manufacturers business.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of hue you handled a workplace conflict.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Esri in May 2016.

Interview

I had very bad interview experience with ESRI. I received an email for an initial phone screen with a recruiter, within one week of applying for the position. However, I was not called for the phone screen even after 2 months of applying for it. The recruiter postponed the phone screen multiple times, making several different excuses. Then finally, the recruiter called me earlier than the scheduled time, when I was busy on another call, and never bothered to get back. They don’t seem to be interested in hiring candidates and it was a total waste of my time.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Esri.

Interview

This was a very long interview process which lasted almost a month and a half. (I was eventually offered a position).

1. HR phone interview
    2. Phone interview with department manager.
    3. Interviewed in person with 2-3 employees within the department I applied for including the department manager.
    4. Interviewed in person with managers from 2 other marketing departments and the marketing director.
    5. Interviewed in person with the Vice President of the company.

Interview Questions

• The Vice President ALWAYS asks what you've been doing since high school no matter how long ago you graduated.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Esri (Redlands, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

HR call (Background + Why ESRI + Why this position) -> Hiring Manager call (background + few technical Qs based on resume) -> Collaborative coding session. Still waiting on results. Hiring Manager was friendly and helpful

Interview Questions

• Data Structures & Algorithms based coding on collabedit   1 Answer

UI/User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Esri in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter who then asked me to come in for an 8 hour interview onsite. At the eight hour interview I had to give a presentation of my work and then do a one on one interview with different employees for the rest of the day. I passed the eight hour interview and was then asked to do a phone interview again. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the phone interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Esri (Redlands, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Whole process took 2 month. Screened by the HR, very nice lady, asking about general questions and a little about the resume. Forwarded to the team lead and future team members for a further technical interview. The technical interview was about 40 minutes, there were the team leader, lead of production engineer, and the principle software engineer on the phone asking about questions related to different algorithms on the project I did (I sent the code before the interview). Then was the onsite interview. Presentation first (my own AI project), then was interviewed by the principle SDE. Whiteboard interview as you may expected, 5 questions in total, 3 dynamic programming questions. Then conversations about the project they are currently working on. After the interview, another round of interview with the SDE lead and PE lead, asking about ideas on the project and the AI system I built. Back to back interview again by two future teammates, asking about general C++ questions including C++ 11, memory management, ownership, OOP and went very deep into STL.
    Lunch break with future team members. After lunch, back to back interview with 2 more developers asking about C++ questions, STL questions and data structures. Then an interview with the director of software development. Asking about general C++ questions first, then went to the AI system that I presented, and moved to machine learning, asking about SVM and how to choose ML models. Last, an hour's interview with the CTL, asking about goals, perspectives of SD, failures ever had etc.
    Was an 8 hours interview.

Interview Questions

• What data structure under the hood does deque use exactly? Disregarding the push front advantage, why should people use deque?   Answer Question
    • why unordered map can not use pair of int as keys?   1 Answer
    • If you would like to implement a ranged base for loop yourself instead of using c++ 11's built in feature, how could you do it?   Answer Question
    • How to make vectors push_back function as efficient as c arrays ? Why it is slow?   1 Answer
    • If you are going to build a SVM by yourself, describe the logic.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Esri (Redlands, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

They called me for phonic interview.one HR and Technical Person were there to fire question.They went through my profile and tring to figureout how much work i have done so far.HR was asking me behavioral question like how would you deal with your teammates and Technical persion was asking me all testing related concept.

Interview Questions

• GIS related question which i was not familiar.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Esri (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Over the course of seven weeks, I had five interviews for the Account Manager position. All of these were scheduled with less than 2 days notice. I was often not offered more than one time option. On one occasion I was told that the person that was going to interview me "might get pulled away for a call with the CEO and not be able to make it." ESRI expected me to leave my current job in the middle of the day to meet with someone who may not show up.

After my fifth interview, I was told that they would like to offer me the position, and an offer letter was being drafted. Since we had only spoken on Skype or over the phone since beginning the process, I asked if I could visit the office once before accepting the offer. They said yes. Over the course of the next several weeks, they failed to schedule a time, asking me to keep 2-3 different days during each week free (during the business day) so that I could meet when their team was available.

Despite their asking me to keep several times open during each week for three consecutive weeks, I was never able to visit the office. Finally, two days after another request by Esri to block off time for a potential office visit, I got a voicemail from HR saying that I would not be moving forward in the process.

Neither the HR contact nor the supervisor of this position could be reached to give me feedback after this process.

Early in these negotiations, I was very excited about the opportunity of working for Esri, but after this disorganized, drawn-out, and disappointing process (which validated many negative reviews I had read on sites like this), I feel that I have avoided a potentially disaterous career move.

Interview Questions

• Watch this video and tell us what you notice. (Video about Esri products used to implement business analysis)   Answer Question
    • What is one sales job you have had, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • Are you adaptable?   Answer Question
    • How would you define GIS for the lay person?   Answer Question
    • Describe you understanding of what this job is. (Asked by every individual I interview with)   Answer Question