Esri Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Esri Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2017

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Esri (Redlands, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a phone interview with the department recruiter. Then in person interview with several team members plus a code test which all takes about 5 hours. Then 2 weeks later I was told that they liked me but my salary requirements were a little higher than they wanted to go. I said it was fine and so they moved me on to an interview with a marketing vp which ended up being a phone interview scheduled almost a month later. She was lovely and told me she really liked me a lot. Then they did a background check. Then I waited about another 3 weeks and I got an email that there was one more interview left with two corporate higher ups. For that interview I waited nearly an hour to be seen. Then I was interviewed for about 2 hours and they asked all about my life. It seemed they didn't want it to end. I was given a few magazines and sent in my way and told I would hear back within a week or two. About 3 weeks later I got an email asking for my availability to speak on the phone and once I got on the phone was given a curt and vague response that I was not going to get an offer. By this point, however, it was months later and I had already received other offers that I turned down waiting for them, which they knew and didn't seem to care, and so it hurt but luckily I got two great offers soon after. I just wish the whole process had been more efficient and considerate.

Interview Questions

• A million questions like what was the worst thing that ever happened at work and how did you handle it, and tell me about your entire journey since college and who do you like to read or follow in the coding or design world?   Answer Question

Support Analyst - Database Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Esri (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

- Initial phone screening: Covers questions on the candidate’s professional experience and the desire of wanting to work for ESRI.

-Technical phone interview: The group lead will ask several technical questions relating to geodatabase topics. For example...What are delta tables? Rec and post workflow. Creating database versions. Creating users and setting permissions.

- Second phone interview: The HR office will call to ask a few more personality questions. For example...Talk about a time you didn't get along with a co-worker and how you resolved the issue. Where do you see yourself in five years? They will ask about salary expectations. If you say something too high, chances are they might talk about how you can work more hours throughout the week so your income can be a little closer to what you’re asking.

- In-person interview (Charlotte, NC): HR will book you a flight, rental car, and hotel for a four day trip (two travel days, one day to explore the area, and one full 8 hour day of interviewing). Over the course of the interview day you will probably meet with about 8 different people. HR will brief you at the start of the day to cover the overall organizational structure of the support department and then give you an outlined schedule of who you will be meeting with throughout the day.
     Next they will bring in one of the support analyst and you will have to teach them how to make a paper airplane while they sit behind you. They will be evaluating your abilities of giving instructions without being able to see what your customer is working on.
    One of the group leads will then meet with you to talk about a typical day in the support section and how they monitor support cases. They will briefly go over the different systems they use.
    Next they do a technical interview. It’s important to remember the material that the analyst covers because towards the end of the day another analyst will quiz you on the info to see how much you retained.
    Next is a logic interview consisting of a sudoku like puzzle, a card game, and a riddle. My guess is they are trying to gauge your thought process on how you approach and solve each one.
    You are then put in front of a computer for a writing portion. You have to complete 2 of the 3 essay questions within 30 minutes. One of them is giving driving directions based on a map. Another is a short video of Jack Dangermond giving a motivational talk before a user conference.
    During your lunch break, you are paired with one of the analyst for a more relaxed interview to ask about hobbies and your experience.
    After lunch you will have two more analysts meet with you to see if you retained the info from the morning’s technical interview.
    Next you meet with the group lead that will most likely be your supervisor if hired. He or she will follow up to see how your day is going and what you think of the company so far.
    You then get to meet the Support Operations Manager. He has a business background therefore he’s easier to talk to unlike some of the technical analyst that can be a little socially awkward. He will ask about your professional experience and then ask a few STAR questions.
    The day is wrapped up with one of the HR staff. They will ask how you thought the day went and what was your favorite interview during the day and why.

They followed up with me a week later to let me know I did NOT get the position and that they encourage me to apply for other positions in the future. I asked if there was any feedback or areas they would like to see more experience in. They didn’t provide any feedback on why I wasn’t selected other than that they had found a better candidate. With a GIS masters degree and 5 years of GIS experience, I thought I had a good shot. I thought the whole interview went great therefore I was shocked when I got the rejection.

Good luck. Practice STAR questions and be prepared to answer the typical "tell me a time when you resolved a conflict" type questions. Oh and practice making paper airplanes.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Esri in March 2016.

Interview

Referred and then submit application online.

Then days later you receive an email regarding a phone interview: two employees asking about resume, lasting one hour.

Next week received another email regarding next around interview: talk about interested topics you would like to work on in the internship.

After one day received decision from interviewer and next week received HR email.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Esri (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I had 11 interviews from beginning to end. It's a very long process. It's quite difficult to get in and because of this, positions remain vacant for years. In turn, people are in the positions for a long time and they tend not to deal with issues because it will taken longer to rehire in to that position.

Interview Questions

• What will be the hardest part about working here   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Esri (College Station, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied at this postition at my university's job fair January(also applied at Esri's website). Then I got a email for phone interview time and schedule the interview about 3 weeks later. It is a phone interview.
    Interviewer call me on time.

First I introduce myself, and briefly talked about my projects( related to C++). But interviewer didn't ask questions about my projects...

Then interviewer asked questions about basic knowledge in C++. Like virtual function, inline function, malloc...
    Then for algorithms, only the meaning big-O notation...

At last, I asked some questions about the intern position.

The whole interview takes about 30 minutes.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Esri (Raleigh, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

Had applied through University. Was invited for a 30-minute interview. Was asked basic behavioral questions and 2-3 easy technical questions. Most of my friends were just asked behavioral questions and about previous projects. At the end of the interview, was asked to apply online. Was surprised, lol. Haven't heard from them yet, waiting.

Interview Questions

• Q. What's your passion?
      Q. About previous projects
      Q. Difference between interface and abstract class.
      Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Esri (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Screen
    2. Invited to interview on location
    3. All day on-site interview+presentation
    4. They declined to offer
    5. Different opportunity came up
    6. Invited to+Attended conference
    7. Second on-site interview (shorter, no presentation)
    8. Received Offer

All of this happened very quickly, over two weeks. I was impressed with how they handled the application process. I've been applying to a lot of jobs, and most of these companies move slowly.

Interview Questions

• What are some JavaScript libraries that you have used?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Esri in February 2016.

Interview

It was an on campus interview after a info session. The HR asked my opinion about the info session. Then brief introduction about myself. He interrupted some point to ask questions about my projects. He also introduced the position openings, what might fit for me, and he asked my interest position.

GIS Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Esri in February 2016.

Interview

Great interview process. I went through 5 interviews before receiving an offer. The first 2 interviews were over the phone, the next two were over skype and the last one was once again over the phone. It is lengthy and took me about 5 - 6 weeks from online application to job offer. Everyone during the process was kind and showed genuine interest in finding the right person for the position.

Interview Questions

• General HR interview questions for the first couple of interviews, more job related scenario questions during the latter interviews.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Esri in February 2016.

Interview

The process was lengthy, took about 6 months total. I applied online, about 2 weeks later I was contacted by HR and had a phone interview. 1 hour, general questions like why I wanted to work for Esri and why I left all of my previous jobs. Then it took 2 whole months before I heard back. I had a second phone interview with a couple of engineers, then I got invited for an on site interview. The on site one was a full day, 8 hours without a break. It was absolutely exhausting but I wouldn't call it hard. And the amount of information and insight I got from talking to so many people was totally worth it. First was a skill drill, pretty basic stuff, once I got a hold of my nerves I was ok. You need to be comfortable writing and debugging code in front of others. Then just met with everyone, 2 people at a time for about 1 hour each. All regular interview questions about past projects, etc.

Interview Questions

• I described an algorithm I had created to solve a problem and they asked "How else could you have done it?"   1 Answer
    • While working with the Esri platform, have you found areas you would improve? Where and what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and got what I was hoping for.