Estée Lauder Companies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 12, 2018

2.8

Aveda Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (Costa Mesa, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume and within minutes received an email for the next step, which was a video interview done on HireVue. The process was completely lacked a personal experience because the app would give you a question, 3 minutes to prepare your answer, and would automatically record you for 1 minute as the response. You could not go back an edit or re-do any responses. I submitted my video on 12/26 and still have not heard anything. After the 2 week mark, I emailed Estee's HR department as a follow up and still haven't heard nothing. The least they can do is send a mass redirect email to candidates they don't wish to move forward, some form of closure would be great. I was SO excited about this job opportunity and this process gave me a different view of the company.

Account Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies.

Interview

Recruited for Account Coordinator for Estee Lauder through Macy's. Went through 2 interviews with Macy's which went very well and then was screened by a Lauder Account Manager. I had a good rapport with each of the three interviewers. Final step was a Talent Plus interview (Lauder required), which is a standardized interview to determine a personality match. Talent Plus isn't allowed to interpret questions but they are allowed to give some feedback (make sure you ask) at the end of the interview and I received positive feedback. However, my result was a "Do Not Recommend", stating that I was not a personality match for employees already in the position. Interesting, because all throughout the interview process, the interviews discussed the challenges with the current employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Let me start off my saying that I’ve been a makeup artist for 8 years and love Estee Lauder products. I have used EL foundations on hundreds of brides and clients, but after these two interview experiences I’m truly disappointed in the brand for hiring such unprofessionals to work in their HR and upper management.

I’ve had two different interviews with Estee Lauder at two different retailers and both have been the most unpleasant interview experiences I’ve ever had with any company.

During the first interview, the interviewer was 20 min late and the interview lasted exactly 4 minutes. The interviewer seemed disgenuine, uninterested and in a rush to finish the interview as soon as possible. Needless to say I didn’t hear back from her and was not offered the position.

For the second interview I was given the wrong address but was able to make it on time to the interview. This particular interviewer showed up late again, and there was nothing professional about her demeanor. She did not apologize for giving me the wrong address to the interview nor did she apologize for being late. She answered my basic questions in a very condescending way. She had me use a tool to color match her to a foundation shade. The tool only had 16 boxes of shades, the last time I’ve seen a tool like that is in 2005 when drugstores and Walmart had them in the foundations section to help consumers color match themselves. A true professional does not need a “tool” to color match their client, in the real world people will laugh if you take out a tool out of your kit to find a foundation shade for a client. Once again days passed and I did not hear back from the interviewer no did I receive a rejection email. At this point even if Estee Lauder offered a position I would not accept it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (Chandler, AZ).

Interview

Overall a very quick interview, maybe ten minutes max. I came in and the first thing I did was hand her my resume, so try to have one on deck. I smiled a lot, answered every question with a lot of enthusiasm and showed her that I was engaged and really wanted this job. She said I'd be perfect for the job, except my part time schedule didn't work with what the store needed currently (I thought I'd only be available Fri, Sat, and Sun). If part time, they want to see that you have open availability and that you'd be able to work whenever they need you to throughout the week. I said I had zero experience but forgot the selling I did in high school so that also axed me out. The next step after the interview would be the Talent Plus phone interview and you typically get there if you have previous selling experience. She told me I'd be a perfect fit for the team come the holiday season. She also said I had a beautiful smile lol so smile a lot!

For reference, I was 18 years old and it's been a couple of months since the interview. It was my first one as well so I was kind of nervous. My interviewer was nice so hopefully yours will be as well! Don't sweat it, it's really not difficult at all.

Do your makeup and dress nice. This is a makeup counter, a more high end one especially.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macy's?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about making a sale to a customer?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Estee Lauder?   1 Answer
    • Would you be willing to call loyal customers to check up on them?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any previous selling experience?   1 Answer
    • What does your schedule look like? What days would you be willing to work?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies in October 2017.

Interview

They sent me an email saying they would like to interview me a few hours I put in my online application. They asked me to come in the next day and meet the head of the makeup counters.

Interview Questions

• How would you get someone to sign up for a credit card?   1 Answer
    • What’s somthing you’ve taught a coworker   1 Answer
    • What’s a conflict you’ve had at work and how did you resolve it?   1 Answer
    • Are you good at makeup application?   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable touching peoples face and hands?   1 Answer
    • What’s your availability?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kailua Kona, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (Kailua Kona, HI) in September 2017.

Interview

applied for the sales associate position at Estee Lauder counter in Macy's. So far I have went to two interviews, both were successful and interviewers were friendly and l liked me. The third interview will be on Friday with the account Executive at Estee Lauder. Hopefully it goes well.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle upset customers?   1 Answer

Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Applied on Indeed, received email to interview with Estée Lauder area manager, the following interview would be with the actual dept store manager (in this case Saks) who made the final hiring decision.
    I didn't make it that far; after the initial phone interview I received a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• What kind of annual revenue did (the store you last worked at) average?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies.

Interview

I was interviewing from a different brand within the company. Process was short and sweet. The person that was interviewing was aware of my capabilities and achievements. There were not a lot of questions asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wylie, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (Wylie, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I had experience working in cosmetics previously and I had taken esthetician/make up classes in the past. Applied online on the Macy's website, had to do an Estée Lauder questionare, got a call for an interview. Went in, went well, called me back, offered me a position, said I had to do a second interview for talent plus, waited a week. In the middle of the week I was called from Macy's to follow up if I had been scheduled the second interview yet. Got an email at the end of the week saying the opportunity was no longer available. I think the whole "personality test" is so subjective: they don't see how you present yourself, if you know their brand, how you apply make up, how you talk to customers. And who is going to say "no, I'm not honest at all"? Seems completely old fashioned. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a sales person in retail.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me of a time you saw a co-worker do something wrong and what did you do about it   Answer Question

Third Party Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Estée Lauder Companies (Bristol, PA) in August 2017.

Interview

Asked about past experience. Interviewed by Supply chain mgrs. Explained the planning and buying process at Bristol location. Interview with 2 Managers lasted 2 hours and 15 mins. it's a huge facility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Any projects you have contributed to that you are proud of?
      Greatest accomplishments   Answer Question