Evernote Interview Questions in Redwood City, CA | Glassdoor

3.4

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Email from recruiter. Responded with availability. Recruiter didn't get back to me until weeks later. Had a call with recruiter, then in person interviews with team members. NDA was signed before the interview.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard process.

1) Recruiter phone screen.
    2) Analyst on the team phone chat. There was some shared coderpad SQL and higher level questions on running tests. Very attentive, patient, and pleasant talk.
    3) In person at Redwood City. Met with about 6 people in 4 hours - the 2 other analysts, CFO, product manager, growth manager, and a data engineer. Not as technical as other Senior Data Analyst roles. Questions were really strategy and communication focused rather than model evaluation, adjusting for bias, etc... There was a case study (which I never had before) in Excel (which I haven't touched in ages), some warmup probability, and whiteboard sql. Everything else was not really as defined. More of "How would you attempt this vague scenario, and how would you use or communicate the results afterward".

I come from more of the data engineering and modeling end of spectrum of data analysts and was not too surprised with the rejection feedback. If you have management, consulting, or lots of experience working with internal business partners (product management, marketing, etc...) yet also have a strong analytics toolbox, you should do great.

I specifically want to call out the recruiter, Melanie. She was remarkably open and candid through the whole process. After the rejection email, she asked to jump on the phone to further discuss the decision process and help me further with my search. This is so rare in the bay area tech world, and especially in data analysis roles that tend to have MANY qualified candidates. The whole interview experience was very warm and encouraging at Evernote and if you happen to be hired, I'm sure the company will be just as great.

Interview Questions

• High level strategic and intentionally vague case study type questions. You can probably imagine the questions about defining product KPI's, measuring success, testing, and communicating actionable steps. They are much less interested in mathematical, statistical, or coding chops.   Answer Question

People Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I quickly received an invitation to a phone interview. During the phone interview I was asked about my background, education, and how I handle priorities. At the end of the phone interview I was invited to an onsite interview. The onsite interview included a tour, two interviews with a manager, and a lunch with the team. I was given a free Evernote premium code, a goodie bag with snacks, and lunch.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The overall process was pleasant and professional. The HR welcomed and gave a tour of the building then met with the interviewers. Everyone was friendly and passionate about the products and company.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Overall it was a pretty good, professional experience and though I didn't get the job, I felt I was treated fairly and respectful. Had an initial phone screen with the hiring manager, then presented a homework assignment to another PM, then for the final round came in for a half day, presented another more intensive assignment to a group of folks, followed by 5 one on one interviews. The prep work did take a lot of time and it turns out they really want someone with a strong metrics and analytics skill set (which I wish was made clearer in the final round prep), but they represented the company really well and I thought my candidacy was handled well. And follow ups were always extremely prompt.

Interview Questions

• If you were to remove a feature, how would you measure the impact of the change?   Answer Question

PR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Went smooth. Recruiter replied and scheduled a call. After the screening call went well, we scheduled a call with my would-be boss. Once that call went well we set a date to meet on-site. From first contact to meeting on-site the process took under 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do you love doing in this field and what don't you like doing?   1 Answer

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First I spoke with the recruiter over the phone. Then I spoke with the hiring manager, and did a short writing test. Then I was brought in for an onsite interview, with a few people, and a panel to review my assignment.

I worked with Melanie throughout the entire process. She was incredibly nice and considerate, which is very different from what I'm used to. She was helpful and very responsive throughout, constantly keeping me updated on everything. Really great recruiter, and really great process overall. Very grateful I had the opportunity to interview at this company.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the more challenging projects you've worked on, and why it was so challenging.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter who described the role.
    This followed by two phone screens using peer programming using something similar to collabedit. Code needs to run and display results.

After this I flew in for on site interview.

It was full day interview which started with presenting something u have done of significance in the past job or any freelance project. This I think is not the right way to interview candidates as there is only certain details u can divulge for the stuff u have done in past employers.

This was followed by few more coding interviews and a design interview.

Interview Questions

Evernote Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback, specifically regarding the peer presentation portion of our technical interview process. We will certainly take it into consideration as we continue to evolve our... More

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview process is similar to others: firstly you will be contacted with recruiter, than you should pass phone screen interview. If everything goes well than go to onsite interview where should be able to answer on questions, solve some algorithms problems, i.e. show your problem-solving skills.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

In house recruiter contacted me after I applied to their job posting on glassdoor.com which described a job for a"Java generalist" role. This is a catch all job listing, for different internal jobs. There is no job with these qualifications, but rather it's a way to get as many developers to respond as possible.

Steps of the interview process

- Talk with recruiter who asks you to solve their standard programming challenge (no time limit) and you send it back to them before you can talk to anyone (see below)
    - Phone call and collab edit style coding problem with an engineer, if you passed the previous step
    - All day on site interview at headquarters in Redwood City, if you passed both of those

Note: You'll need to bring your laptop with you for coding exercise(s).

For the on site interview, the first step is to do an hour long presentation in front of 3 or 4 engineers and/or executives about something significant that you've worked on. They'll play it off like it's a time for you to shine and you shouldn't worry and just talk about something you're passionate about that you wrote, but don't be fooled. This is another one of those kooky tech interview processes designed for them to find any way to get to "no"

Headquarters is nice and new and modern but it's a very small company that's been around for years and search around for what people say about the history of it.

I did not get an offer and could not get info. For companies that do this, think carefully if it's where you want to apply, because you'll be wasting a couple of days over the course of 4 to 6 weeks and get no feedback.

Interview Questions

• Step one, a homework assignment before talking to an engineer: Write a program to read a file and return the words in order of frequency, in O(n) time. Code must be documented and "production quality". There is no time limit for this.   Answer Question
    • Step two, a phone interview where you need to write a simple tree walking program to their specification.   Answer Question
    • On site interview, with your laptop: Pull a tree from Github and figure out why a unit test is failing, so you'll also need to quickly build and debug the code.   Answer Question
    • Explain how Collab edit works, i.e. how are edits being synchronized among multiple clients.   1 Answer