Evernote Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Evernote Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Evernote

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Onsite consists of these sessions:

- Describe the project you worked on
- Pair programming (with a laptop)
- Find a bug/fix a unit test (with a laptop)
- System design
- Hiring manager interview

Interviewers are friendly, lunch is provided.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Evernote

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Evernote in November 2017.

Interview

I applied on their website, recruiter got in touch discussed position, told they move quickly through the hiring process.

The first phone screen was rescheduled unexpectedly and after the second one took place I’ve never heard back. Full ghosting for 3 weeks+.

That why I can assume I got no offer - but only Evernote knows for certain..

Interview Questions

Evernote Response

Dec 22, 2017 – Sourcer

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your experience is incredibly important to us and we make follow up with every candidate a priority. We clearly missed in your case and are very sorry... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote in April 2019.

Interview

Starts with a phone interview with the recruiter. Very basic. Next is a technical screen with an engineer. The engineer started out with basic questions about Java. Some of them were very vague. After the questions, we did a simple problem on Coderpad. We finished a bit early since the question was easy. I was told I wouldn't continue even though I'm sure I answered everything correctly. I'm okay with this because if the engineers acted like him, I wouldn't want to join. He did not seem to have a good grasp of English as well as just being confusing the entire time.

Interview Questions

• What kind of variables are there?   1 Answer
    • Parse a URL and return a map of query params   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Within a week of applying online, I went through a phone screen and an online interview with an engineer was scheduled.
    The engineer gave me three links to write my code, which caused confusion.
    He questioned why I write "US citizen" on my resume, and made fun of the fact.
    He gave me one hour to complete the exercise. I took only 15 minutes. My code took care of all possible test cases. He remarked that other candidates' code was more voluminous but they didn't work for all test cases. He said I was weak in Java but could not offer a solid explanation. The company took nine days to provide feedback. In it they wrote that I was a strong candidate but they were looking at others.

Interview Questions

• Given a URL, parse out the "a=b" pairs, after the question mark, separated by commas.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Mountain View, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

From the beginning i had a great experience at Evernote. The interview process was very smooth. The recruiters were very responsive and provided all the information. I was given a programming exercise followed by a 1 hour technical phone interview. I was then invited for the onsite interview. Two days before the interview i got sick and recruiters immediately rescheduled the interview to another day. The interviewers were highly technical and were very easy going. I was really impressed with all the people i met, but was especially impressed with the VP Products. He is SUPER technical and his knowledge of java was outstanding . I am so happy that i would be working with a bunch of people who have a passion for innovation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

In house recruiter contacted me after I applied to their job posting on glassdoor.com which described a job for a"Java generalist" role. This is a catch all job listing, for different internal jobs. There is no job with these qualifications, but rather it's a way to get as many developers to respond as possible.

Steps of the interview process

- Talk with recruiter who asks you to solve their standard programming challenge (no time limit) and you send it back to them before you can talk to anyone (see below)
    - Phone call and collab edit style coding problem with an engineer, if you passed the previous step
    - All day on site interview at headquarters in Redwood City, if you passed both of those

Note: You'll need to bring your laptop with you for coding exercise(s).

For the on site interview, the first step is to do an hour long presentation in front of 3 or 4 engineers and/or executives about something significant that you've worked on. They'll play it off like it's a time for you to shine and you shouldn't worry and just talk about something you're passionate about that you wrote, but don't be fooled. This is another one of those kooky tech interview processes designed for them to find any way to get to "no"

Headquarters is nice and new and modern but it's a very small company that's been around for years and search around for what people say about the history of it.

I did not get an offer and could not get info. For companies that do this, think carefully if it's where you want to apply, because you'll be wasting a couple of days over the course of 4 to 6 weeks and get no feedback.

Interview Questions

• Step one, a homework assignment before talking to an engineer: Write a program to read a file and return the words in order of frequency, in O(n) time. Code must be documented and "production quality". There is no time limit for this.   Answer Question
    • Step two, a phone interview where you need to write a simple tree walking program to their specification.   Answer Question
    • On site interview, with your laptop: Pull a tree from Github and figure out why a unit test is failing, so you'll also need to quickly build and debug the code.   Answer Question
    • Explain how Collab edit works, i.e. how are edits being synchronized among multiple clients.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter who described the role.
    This followed by two phone screens using peer programming using something similar to collabedit. Code needs to run and display results.

After this I flew in for on site interview.

It was full day interview which started with presenting something u have done of significance in the past job or any freelance project. This I think is not the right way to interview candidates as there is only certain details u can divulge for the stuff u have done in past employers.

This was followed by few more coding interviews and a design interview.

Interview Questions

Evernote Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback, specifically regarding the peer presentation portion of our technical interview process. We will certainly take it into consideration as we continue to evolve our... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Evernote in September 2014.

Interview

I applied to join the new Evernote office in France via the web site and received an initial email response quickly from the manager who was building up the new office. They wanted to hire senior-level developers and architects first, to help hire a second wave of more junior engineers.

After an initial phone discussion, I was handed off for the technical interview process, which consisted of a first test which, due to the fact that I was remote, happened via email and was fairly easy: a variation on the theme of finding the k more frequently-occurring words in a given text, with linear performance.

The next test was more challenging and was performed as a Skype call and used a pair-programming web service. I was impressed that a VP administered the test, and even more impressed that he was focused throughout, correcting my typos and finding flaws in my implementation, tailoring the test data to trigger them. I wasn't prepared for this type of test, and my showing was pretty dismal, but it was a great learning experience and illustrated how flat Evernote's hierarchy is. There doesn't seem to be much of a "middle-manager" type problem.

Interview Questions

• Implement a merge-sort in O(n), with some edge cases (null is a valid item in the source lists) and with generic Lists (in Java).   Answer Question