Evertz Microsystems Software Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Evertz Microsystems Software Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2016

3.3

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied as a part of University Coop program. Interview was on campus. There was a 45 min in person interview with a written technical portion. The interviewer was the senior engineer and was extremely nice. He was really knowledgeable in his field and was genuinely interested in knowing more about the candidates. Technical questions were in C/C++, mostly about bit shifting, pointers, and OOP practices.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Evertz Microsystems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

An HR phone interview of about 30 minuted followed by a 3-part in-person interview lasting 2 hours. The in-person interview was very exhaustive, starting with a one-on-one with the manager followed by an interview with each of 2 team leads. The process allowed me to get a good understanding of the position. I was asked several technical questions relating to the role and to my software background.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my location and salary expectations in the phone interview.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems.

Interview

The interview is about 30 min. They ask Behavioral Questions and in the last 10-15 mins, they ask you to write down a Sorting Algorithm that can solve a list of numbers

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Got invited to an on-campus interview, which I passed easily (reverse a linked list). Next step was group on-site, which included a tour and then individual interview with a member of their team. For whatever reason he decided to ask me to implement bubble sort. I struggled, not with the code, but because I didn't actually understand how bubble sort worked (who bothers to learn the most inefficient algorithm?). I guess they thought I understood it and simply failed at coding which is why they decided not to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• On-campus: Reverse a linked list
      On-site: Implement bubble sort
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was over the phone with the recruiter. No technical questions were asked, just some basic information along with salary and career expectations. Within a day I heard back from HR about scheduling a second interview at their main office in Burlington.

My interview was scheduled the following week, and I met with two senior engineers from the R&D department. The first interviewer asked me some general technical questions about programming and some other topics (e.g. What does the 'volatile' keyword mean in C? What's the difference between 1080p and 1080i?)

The second interviewer asked some more detailed and specific questions. I was asked to describe for him a system I designed previously in a block diagram. I was also given a programming task to do on paper (Write a program to push and pop an element in a queue implemented as a circular linked list.), and a second programming task that involved string manipulation.

After the interview, I had not heard back from HR for more than 3 weeks. The recruiter also didn't respond to my followup e-mail 2 weeks following the interview. After which I called the recruiter to find out what happened with my application. After reminding them of myself, I was told that a decision hasn't been made yet. A few days later I received a standard rejection e-mail.

I was disappointed in the complete lack of communication following my second interview.

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

Type:
    - technical questions
    - one on one interview

Subjects:
    -experiences related to the position
    -video compression
    -signal processing
    - research abilities
    - problem solving

Who interviewed?
    Senior Manager

Fairly average interview, nothing extremely difficult. It lasted 1 day. If you are very good, you can get offered the same day.

Interview Questions

• What is compression? Why is it necessary to compress files?   Answer Question
    • PSNR (peak signal-to-noise ratio). What is the PSNR of the codec in question?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evertz Microsystems (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was initiated with a 1:1 interview with a member of their R&D group. After this interview I was asked to come to their main office and conduct a second interview. The level of difficulty of the first interview was not that high compared to the second interview. The second interview was a 1:1 interview with 4 different individuals. One of them was a current intern, which allowed us to get an inside look at the life of an intern at the company (this was a co-op/intern opportunity). The other 3 individuals seemed to be experts in their fields and it was a very challenging interview. They asked all sorts of technical and non-technical problem solving questions. The main reason I found it a bit challenging was because I was not aware that I will be interviewed by 3 people and hence, I was not in the right mind set. Regardless, I did good in the interview and got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Three switches needs to be matched with three light bulbs in the other room that you cannot see into. You can only go into the room once. Initially the bulbs are turned off.   1 Answer
    • You have 300 images and you are required to find the minimum bounding volume that can cover the non-black pixels on all the three images. Some hints were given to come up with the most efficient answer.   Answer Question

I chose to decline the offer as I got another offer from a company I really wanted to work for.