Exelon Equipment Operator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Exelon Equipment Operator Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exelon (Cordova, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview and hiring process took about 2 months from first contact to offer received. I applied online and received contact via phone and email.

Interview and testing process was over a two day period. As a distance candidate they flew me out to the power plant site at Quad Cities Nuclear Generating Station. They gave me a few options for interviewing and testing days that I could arrive. All travel, rental cars, and organization of such were handled by Exelon and their travel agency.

First day on site was testing with the POSS-C exam in the morning with a break until the afternoon with the BMST. Second day was the interview with two people, an on site engineer and an HR generalist. I believe there were to be more on the panel but there were less because of training for short-term employees at the time preparing for a refueling/outage maintenance.

Piece of advice, keep in contact with HR if you have questions, but have something to say. Also, they are friendly people and very professional and open to anything you have to ask.

Interview Questions

• Which of your past experiences do you consider a great opportunity to learn?   Answer Question
  • What was a time someone was doing something unsafely and how did you approach them about it?   1 Answer
  • Tell us about a time you were required to conform to a rule/policy you didn't agree with and how did it turn out?   1 Answer
  • Tell us about a time you were faced with someone who did not agree with at work on a project or otherwise, and how did you handle this situation?   1 Answer
  • Tell us about a time when you had a chance to improve/save money on a process and how did it play out?   1 Answer
  • Do you have any questions?   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Exelon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delta, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exelon (Delta, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Used STAR interview Questions.
    A HR rep. was present that answered all HR questions I had. I was hesitate to ask them as I have been told to avoid asking certain questions unless I had received a job offer. However, she insisted I ask and glad I did. I got a lot of information about their pension plan, 401k, starting salary, relocation options, etc. They went through the whole training schedule with me and described all expectations.

Did not receive an offer yet. Still waiting on a call. Should know by the end of this week.

Interview Questions

• There were 3 questions asked.

One that I can remember was about describing a time where I had to adapt to a situation.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Byron, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Exelon (Byron, IL).

Interview

Interview process was very straightforward. Communication with HR was great while in the interviewing process (became harder to get information about what was going on after accepting the offer). After taking and passing the initial tests (POSS and BMST), my interview was the next day.

The interview was STAR format. The company told us it would be in this format before hand and gave examples of how to answer their questions. If answers were not given in this format, the interviewer would ask another question to ensure that the STAR process was completed.

The interview was with shift operations supervisor, the operations training supervisor, and an HR representative. The questions were very straight forward with most of them being about safety, following procedures/directions properly, leadership, and teamwork.

A job offer was made 2 weeks after the interview. An extensive background check was made at this point that involved proof of education, asking where I lived and worked over the last 10 years, calling my references and asking them for more references, and a credit check. Mental and physical examinations were held at the plant a few weeks before the starting date. The offer was contingent on passing all of these.

Overall it was a very easy process and everything was straight forward. Everything to be done was explained before hand and if there was any confusion, HR was quick to reply to the issue.

Interview Questions

• When was time where you went above and beyond what was asked of you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you saw a coworker doing something unsafe and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate because it is a union position and the wage, benefits, ect are set. Moving expenses were not included, but depending on your situation (live far away, short time between accepting offer and job start, ect) it might be worth asking to see what the company can do to help.

Anonymous Employee in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Exelon (Cordova, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

They brought in three groups of people to their office in Illinois to take the POSS and BMST test. If you pass the POSS, you continue on to take the BMST and interview the next day. The two interviewers were nice, and read off questions from sheets that they used to take notes. Be sure to practice the STAR method, and know what stories you are going to tell for the situations they will ask you about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braidwood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Exelon (Braidwood, IL).

Interview

Applied online and a couple weeks later I was called by an HR rep for a standard phone screen/gather information. I had already taken and passed the POSS and BMST tests previously with Exelon so the HR rep scheduled a panel interview for the next week. HR sent me scheduling information and basic information on what type of questions would be asked, STAR. Interview was with three people, an HR rep, Trainer and Supervisor. The HR rep kept the candidates in the loop with the decision process. ~2 weeks later I received a phone call saying I didn't get the job but I was the back-up candidate. But I never got the job.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to present a change to coworkers that created backlash. (something along this).
      Explain a time you observed a co-worker acting in an unsafe manner. (this seems to be a standard question, I've interviewed twice for the same position, different locations, and this question was asked both times)
      Answer Question

Equipment Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Exelon.

Interview

Online application, BMST, POSS exams. Interview is in the same building the POSS testing is. Two operations supervisors and an HR woman ask questions in a panel type interview. We were given a plant tour following the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you observed someone doing something unsafely. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to adapt to a situation in work or school. What did you do ?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you were an arbiter or in the middle of a dispute. What did you do ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Exelon (Cordova, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Apply online
    Wait for it ...
    Get a call from an HR rep.
    Wait for it ...
    Get a second call from an HR rep
    Wait for it...
    Just as you are about to give up waiting for it...
    Show up tomorrow for in processing.

Ok, not really that bad but nuclear power is a slow process so the time in the Navy learning to "hurry up and wait" has paid off well.

The background screening was very difficult.
    Instead of here are three references for people I worked for, they wanted someone I knew.
    Not being, one a socialite, and two not wanting to bother people I had few people to give them.
    The company is a third party who care very little to make calls outside of their normal hours.
    So military folks with overseas contacts and not effective since it is too hard to figure out other time zones.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time where you had to do someone else's job.   1 Answer
    • All other questions were extremely typical and included in the manual I purchased from the Interview Guys.   1 Answer
    • There was not much discussion on "tell me about my plant".
      I assumed there would be and was prepared to give about a five minute windshield tour type overview.
      1 Answer
    • When it came time for "do you have any questions" my advice was to go big or go home.   1 Answer
    • BMST...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oswego, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Exelon (Oswego, NY).

Interview

Process was simple, I was recommended to talk to the Senior recruiter by one of my college classmates, and called him ASAP. These were awesome jobs as they related directly to the radiation class work that I thought was the most ib learned during our senior year research project. I was interested fully, talked to recruiter applied twenty minutes later and next day I was scheduled to take the test, in oswego. I studied from the test material given and was fully prepared for the two tests, they were simple to me. What I wasn't prepared for was the interview the next day. About a couple minutes of mentally preparing the hr director asks me if tomorrow is acceptable for the interview, or what time is good. Of course I can't say no, as that would be a unexceptable answer. I was expecting to take the test, and then if I passed both come back at a later date to take the interview, or that was what I talked to the Senior recruiter about. I shake it off and try to prepare for the best. The interview process is a quick one, 25 to 35 minutes with the first ten minutes of the run down on the facility, energy output of the two units, and typical schedule along with what is expected of you. Next was some simple situational questions such as discuss a time you took a risk, why do you want the position, why should we hire you, weather questions, what courses have you taken. Then it was time for my questions and then that was the interview process. As soon as I left the room I knew I blew it, there were very few questions on my experience with radiation, safety, and mitigation of problems which I would have thought was important, I felt like after the first 6 minutes of the interview I had blown it from my time constraint. All in all I felt like the interviewers were upset with me, or seemed slightly annoyed when I asked questions. Unfortunately I feel like I was looked over due to rushing the process. I should have went with the original plan.

Interview Questions

• name a time you took a risk   1 Answer

Equipment Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Exelon.

Interview

Had to take the BMST and POSS before being offered an interview. As a recent college graduate both exams were fairly easy, hardest part is the time constraint. Interview was conducted by 4 people asking questions about resume and behavioral type questions. In total there were 5 behavioral questions each hitting on specific skills they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected questions was about ethics and other employees ethics   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Exelon (Cordova, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

There is a phone interview where they just aask basic questions like what is your 2 year goal, 5 year goal, and 10 year goal. Ask a few questions about your hobbies and other things on your resume. If they like you then you proceed to the next step which is the actual interview process. It is a two day process. First day you have to take 2 tests. First test is the POSS, not too difficult just a huge time crunch need to work very fast. No calculator but scratch paper provided. Just use the practice test that they email you and its a decent model of the actual test. After the POSS there is a break for lunch and when you come back only the people who pass the POSS can take the next test called the BMST. This a 90 question test you have 3 hours to complete high school level math and science questions no calculator. If you pass both tests then the next day there is an interview. The email says there are 4 people that interview you but only 3 people interviewed me. They were real nice looked over my resume and then asked 7-8 behavior questions. We are instructed to answer using the STAR approach. After the behavior questions they give you time to ask some questions. All in all the interview was a hour long and I will know if I get the job in 2 weeks. So i dont know if I got the job yet.