Expedia Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

2.9

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, then contacted by a recruiter after 3+ weeks. No response for 1 week, then scheduled a technical phone screen.

Received the call 24 hrs before the scheduled time, so I rescheduled the call to next day. Finally received a call 20 mins late.

Then no further communication from Expedia, not even a reply to emails asking for status. A very negative experience overall.

Interview Questions

• General questions on my past projects and questions related to REST APIs, Javascript, HTTP.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for this position online in February, 2017. Got an e-mail from a recruiter in 2 weeks with a link to an online Coding Challenge and I had two weeks to complete it. You need to complete the challenge successfully for continuing the interview process.

The online Coding Challenge(HackerRank) had only two questions. The first question was a basic Object Oriented Programming question(very basic) and the second question was a programming question which was of medium difficulty. The second question needed some time and thinking. It was not very easy, but do-able. I would strongly recommend that you practice well before starting this challenge.

I was later informed to attend a technical on-site interview. There were three rounds, each scheduled for about an hour. The interviewers are VERY VERY friendly. They were genuinely helpful and wanted the candidates to perform well. There were three rounds, an Algorithm round, a data structure round and a design round. Personally, I found the algorithm and the DS round to be of average difficulty and the design round to be tough. All the three rounds were a mixture of both behavioral and technical questions(3:2). I did not practice a lot of design questions and I was not very confident in that round.

Due to the NDA, I will not be able to disclose the questions. However, I would strongly recommend the following:

1) Interact very confidently and make sure you know what you're talking about. Expedia is a company with great culture and the interviewers make sure that they hire only those candidates who would blend in this culture. Getting an offer is not determined only by the fact that you could answer the technical questions correctly, but also by the way you interacted with the interviewers. Understand every question and make sure you've understood the question completely before answering.

2) Make sure to practice a lot of question on CTCI and make sure to go through all the questions on Glassdoor. This is a very important point. I wouldn't have got the offer without the help from Glassdoor. I cannot thank Glassdoor enough.

3) Do not panic if you are not able to answer any of the programming questions They don't need a solution. They need to see how you think. So talk, talk, talk and talk. Make sure you let the interview know that you are THINKING and not panicking. Also, make sure to understand the hints given by the interviewer. They will give you hints if you are stuck.

4) Make sure to practice on a white board before you interview.

5) Read point 2 again. If you have more time, please practice on LeetCode, HackerRank and geeksforgeeks.

All the best and Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Common behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. What are your accomplishments, failures etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

One phone screen with screenshare coding. After that I was called for 6 onsite rounds. Mostly technical whiteboarding and one round related to system design. Leetcode medium and difficulty for most problems. I wasn't prepared for the system design part.

Interview Questions

• parentheses validation, system design, modified binary search   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in November 2015.

Interview

Applied at a Career Fair on Campus. Was given an on-campus interview the day after. Was given an on-site interview at Expedia's HQ in Bellevue afterwards. The Interview started off with a Speech, then we were lead to our rooms to do a few rounds of technical interviews. Afterwards we were given food, drinks and time to mingle with the various interviewers and other applicants for the positions.

Interview Questions

• Preorder Traversal on a Binary Tree

Given a 2d array where every row is sorted left to right min to max and every column is sorted top to bottom min to max, how would you insert an element and move it to a valid position assuming that insertion deletes the largest element in the array

Given an integer, return the next largest integer that is made up of the same digits as the given one.

Implement Binary Search

Vocab Questions about Object Oriented Programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Awesome experience. Brought down to the Expedia tower in Bellevue Washington to interview in person after a one hour technical interview at my university. Got the initial interview after talking with a recruiter at my University's job fair. On site interview was three hours and technical in nature, with several questions about algorithms, business practice, and object oriented design.

Interview Questions

• I choose to respect the NDA, but it was a couple of general questions about algorithms and object oriented design.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Took almost 3 months from start to finish. interview day was long, no breaks given and people were back to back x 6. Then took almost a month to be told no offer. Was told a few times they haven't decided yet, Granted it was over the holiday season but they just didn't seem like they had their act together.

Interview Questions

• General questions nothing fancy that I recall.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

- Applied online
    - One phone screen
    - Onsite interview with five people. One with the director, which are mostly behavior questions. One with the hiring manager, two coding questions. The other three with different level devs, one to two coding questions for each session.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, cannot reveal the details. Mostly data structure and algorithm, not difficult. Be sure you prepare well with CS fundamental.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

There are three rounds total. Two phones screens and one on-site interview. In the first phone screen, they just ask about your resume and your experiences. If they think that you are a good match, they will schedule a second phone interview. The second phone interview is a technical one. There was no coding involved when I did mine. They asked very basic concepts and programming problems. I think they just want to make sure that you can code before they invite you to do an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic data structures and algorithms. Also about OOD as well.   Answer Question

Interview

There was a tech question at the career fair, and then an onsite interview which includes three rounds. The first round was a brain teaser interview. The second round was a recursive programming question. The third round was questions on objective programming.

Interview Questions

• Please design a object class of anything in the real world.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

contacted by a recruiter several days after apply online. set up a phone screen the next day and on-site two weeks later. Then the recruiter told me the feedback is good and want to setup another phone call with the hiring manager from the team I was assigned. And then I was told the manager doesn't think I am a good fit?!!!!! This is my whole interview process, it went well and I enjoyed it at the beginning, but then it just getting weird.

Interview Questions

• None, all straight forward questions. Try to clear the ambiguous before starting tackling it.   Answer Question