Expedia Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very simple and straightforward, no beating around the bushes, all times set were respected and interviewers were very professional. I first had the HR approach, then had an online challenge, after that had another telephonic interview which led to an invitation to Expedia building in Bellevue.

Process there was the standard interview loop with 5 people. I was there from 10.30 am until 4.30 pm.

I have a very good impression of the people working there, courteous, professional, and from the technical interviews I had, very very talented engineers.

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA which I intend to honor.
      However, know your algorithms and data structures, time and memory complexity, it is very important, no matter what solution you propose, you'll need to know how fast it runs and how much memory it'll use.
      Also, mind OO design questions, they matter a lot and it's very important as an engineer to know your stuff.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had 1 telephonic round followed by onsite interview.Had 5 interviews with team.I met with two Sr SDE and 2 SDE II and finally with Director.The developers focused on technical skills. Including asking me to white board code examples.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions
      1st interview Sr SDE
      class Node{ int nodeId,int nodeParentId} is given.
      Input : List<Node>
      Output:Tree

2nd Interview SDE
      Design TIC TAC TOE problem

3rd Interview SDE II Lunch interview
      1.Move all zeros to beginning input {1,2,3,0,0,0,4,5} output {0,0,0,1,2,3,4,5}
      2. Given an int[] multiply all numbers except index I/p {1,2,3,4} O/P {24,12,8,6}

4th Interview SDE II
      Log file contains UserId.Every day has new log file.Given range of n days find top 10 users?

5th Interview Director tech
      Asked two puzzles
      1.3 bulbs and switch board outside room.Find which switch belongs to which bulb in one pass

2.10 Bags with 100 gold coins each. Each coin weighs 10 gms in 9 bags and each coin weighs 9 gms in one bag find out which bag has coins of 9 gms in one weight?
      1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in May 2015.

Interview

Though I am yet to hear the final decision from them, here is the process what has happened so far. I came across the open position on Linkedin job search and applied on the company website.

A technical recruiter called me and had a few minutes discussion. It was more like a "get to know" discussion and after it, she scheduled a formal technical telephonic interview the next week where in the interviewer discussed with me for about 40 minutes over Skype. It was just like any other interview where it started where he asked me to take him through the resume and I did. Then he started asking specific questions on my experience and it went so on.

Interview Questions

• How do you process millions of Oracle AP Invoices ? What is the most efficient way ?   1 Answer
    • If a Payment Process Request is stuck, how do you automate it to run with out human intervention   1 Answer
    • What is the best possible way to avoid dead locks in concurrent programs that has several DML statements in it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Went in for in person 5 face to face interviews. Two of them non technical. Three technical interviews which included on design session. Interview with hiring manager was also technical but he was pretty rude. I am glad I dint get the offer , I wouldn't want to work for him

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

One phone screen followed by on site "loop." I interviewed with a total of 5 people over the course of 4 hours. I met with a senior leader, the hiring manager, and three other developers. The developers focused on technical skills. Including asking me to white board code examples. The managers gave overviews of the group and asked more of the "tell me about a time when" type of questions.

Interview Questions

• There were several algorithmic questions in the technical sessions. I do not recall a specific one   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate an additional 5%+ to the base salary.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Interview

Process took a little over 4 weeks. Had an intial call with the recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. Simple straight forward online coding on collabedit-like-environment. Led to an onsite call.

Onsite interview was a little different than the others . Did pretty well and interacted with the team . But sadly no offer was given or any feedback regarding how the interview went too.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected . Although it was pretty challenging. Signed an NDA so cannot disclose more details   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

5 round of on site interview

Interview Questions

• all the questions are acceptable   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Had two phone screens - one with hiring manager and another with Dev. on the team. Most questions were technical but not very difficult (Ex. - find out if linked list has a loop; Find all anagrams of a word in the dictionary, etc). A week after last phone screen they flew me down to Bellevue for an in-person interview. There were 6 rounds total - 4 technical and 2 non-technical. Most questions were of average difficulty (Design algorithm to split linked list into two smaller lists such that first list contains only odd elements and second list only even elements of original linked list; Design data structures for game of life, etc).

Interview Questions

• One of the interviews had brain teasers:

Given a rectangle with one rectangular piece missing, split it into two equal halves. can only use single straight cut to accomplish this;

Given 4 bottles of pills where 3 bottles contain pills of same weight and 4th bottle has pills that weight less, find the bottle with "defective" pills using the scale only once..
      1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Expedia in June 2013.

Interview

The recruiter called me in phone and set up an technical interview with the hiring manager after 5 days . The interview haven't gone well from my side .She asked about my role in the project ,about agile and some very basic java question and I messed up with two simple questions . After 2 days I asked the recruiter and she replied they are looking for more potential candidate

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through career section. Got a mail from Recruiter asking details of my experience, why expedia, why you like software development, what is to be a software developer. After screening my application, the first round of interview was a telephone interview. Interviewer shared Google Docs and asked me to code, design and solve few problems.

After clearing the telephone interview, they booked a flight to attend 5 rounds of face to face interview. Interviewers included a Senior Software Engineer, S/W Development Manager, Test Manager, Business Manager and Sr.Director. Most of the interviews were about 30 - 60 minutes and it took almost 6 hours to complete the process.

Though I'm an experience C# developer there were no questions related to .NET/ASP.NET/SQL Server. Most of the questions were on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design Patterns.

Interviewers were very challenging as most of them were Ex-Microsoft employees with experience ranging from 7 - 18 years at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was from Sr.Director when he asked me to solve a data structure related problem with O(N) complexity. It's do with search of billion items with very minimal space requirements. I was not expecting a Sr.Director to nail me down with questions related to bit wise operations & data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much. They offered more than what I expected - sign on bonus, relocation bonus, performance bonus, full relocation package with a month of high end corporate apartment to live and 15 days of rental car to drive around.