Expedia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia in October 2016.

Interview

Received coding challenge on the popular coding challenge website that is used by many companies. The coding challenge was actually very hard. I was surprised by it. However, I was pleased by the fact that I did not have to handle input and output like I had to do for other coding challenges. The second question was Leetcode hard, based on recursion, backtracking, or DP. Recursion doesn't work as the inputs are too large, which I only figured after testing it with 5 minutes left.

Interview Questions

• 1. Bit manipulation question
      2. Recursion/DP problem.
      1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Expedia (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in October 2014.

Interview

Their was 3 rounds of interview.
    1. Technical round - its most related to network & security.
    2. Manager round - most of the things related to ITIL.
    3. HR round - asked about company profile & previous company details.

Interview Questions

• It would be relevant to your job title.   1 Answer

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Interview

Entire process took about a month (from submitting application until offer was accepted).
    I received a an initial email from a hiring recruiter out of their main office stating that he would like to schedule an initial phone interview/screening with me. I scheduled it for the following day which was on a Thursday. It lasted about half an hour and they simply wanted to get an idea about my hotel experience, nothing too technical or complicated. The phone screen went over very well and I was contacted within an hour of it being over to schedule my "technical interview" the following day via Skype. This, in my opinion was the most difficult interview as they ask you questions that require you to be creative with your answers. There was also some role-playing, which I could tell was used to see how I would react to certain situations on the spot and to see your personality. This one lasted about an hour. She said not to be surprised if I didn't hear back from Expedia for 1-2 weeks as the process does take a while. I was eventually interviewed by three more people at the main Dallas office, each higher up in the company. All interviews went over very well and I was called for a verbal offer only a few days after the in-person interviews. The company is full of very smart and creative people, and it is very obvious that they are looking for sharp, young innovative people with a great sense of determination. I was able to have a one-on-one chat with a person in the position in which I was applying for and asked him how he liked his job and he had nothing but great things to say about the company. It was very good to hear considering he had been with the company for almost two years and was in the process of moving for a promotion (another great sign since he said they promote from within). The Dallas office was beautiful and everyone was working hard, however they all were SMILING. This is always a great sign of a company since interviewing is a two way street! Be warned, you must do your homework if you want to interview with this company as it is not easy!

Interview Questions

• If I told you there were 150 new hotels that weren't partnered with Expedia in the (insert city name here), how would you go about finding out each hotel, along withe detailed informations of each?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was extremely happy with the offer that I was given. The base salary was more than I expected, and I was offered a very nice signing bonus on top of that!

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

I applied online for a DC position, and had a first round phone interview. Immediately after the phone interview, I was told the DC position had been filled, but they wanted to consider me for other locations. I then had several more phone interviews for different locations, before going out to the Dallas office and having four in-person interviews. Was notified a week later about the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Who is a historical figure you look up to?
      If this wall was a brick wall, and you were a brick, where would you be in the wall? What impact does this (your location) have on the wall as a whole?
      Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in February 2013.

Interview

5 rounds of interview

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I had an initial phone screening by HR, followed by a phone interview with one manager and then was asked to interview in person. The in-person interview was 4-5 successive 1-hour interviews. This covered both technical questions, test concepts and inter-personal questions. There was a period of 5-10 minutes between interviews when I believe interviewers conferred to determine whether the candidate would continue in the interview process. I felt the interview was professional and my performance met expectations.

Interview Questions

• In the first interview, the application architecture was explained and diagrammed on a whiteboard. That was all that was said regarding it during that interview; the diagram was erased at the end of that interview. The next interviewer came in and asked me to diagram the application architecture. I was able to recall approximately 90%. I felt this demonstrated whether the candidate listens, learns quickly and is able to comprehend the level of complexity of Expedia's test environments.   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

2 phone interviews

Interview Questions

• Role play a phone conversation to get a hotel that is not listed with Expedia to join.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Dallas, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online and used my Linked In profile to apply. Within days, I noticed a recruiter from the company viewed my profile. I was contacted via email to set up my first phone interview. I had my FIRST phone interview. It lasted about 35 minutes and was the generic HR prescreen. The recruiter spoke mostly about what the position called for with a HEAVY HEAVY stress on sales which is a different feel from the posted job description. She scheduled me for a second phone interview which was later rescheduled by the interviewer because she was under the weather. That second phone interview lasted about 50-60 minutes. You are put totally on the spot to provide a role play situation of what you would do if the position was yours. Super uncomfortable and unexpected but I fought through it. Apparently, it well as they scheduled me for an in person interview for 3 hours at their office with 3 different people.

Interview Questions

• Which famous person do you most look up to? Weird? Just me? Ok   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through career section. Got a mail from Recruiter asking details of my experience, why expedia, why you like software development, what is to be a software developer. After screening my application, the first round of interview was a telephone interview. Interviewer shared Google Docs and asked me to code, design and solve few problems.

After clearing the telephone interview, they booked a flight to attend 5 rounds of face to face interview. Interviewers included a Senior Software Engineer, S/W Development Manager, Test Manager, Business Manager and Sr.Director. Most of the interviews were about 30 - 60 minutes and it took almost 6 hours to complete the process.

Though I'm an experience C# developer there were no questions related to .NET/ASP.NET/SQL Server. Most of the questions were on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design Patterns.

Interviewers were very challenging as most of them were Ex-Microsoft employees with experience ranging from 7 - 18 years at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was from Sr.Director when he asked me to solve a data structure related problem with O(N) complexity. It's do with search of billion items with very minimal space requirements. I was not expecting a Sr.Director to nail me down with questions related to bit wise operations & data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much. They offered more than what I expected - sign on bonus, relocation bonus, performance bonus, full relocation package with a month of high end corporate apartment to live and 15 days of rental car to drive around.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2013.

Interview

I did not actually get an interview with Expedia however I had quite an experience. Recently they opened a Tier 3 customer service vacancy in Las Vegas, NV , me and one of my best friends applied. I have such a long experience with travel agencies for so long and specially in all the software and GDS travel systems that Expedia uses. All of those skills were demonstrated in the resume. I waited for any communication from their side but had none. Only my friend -who was also a previous subordinate of mine and has far less experience- got an interview and an offer and when I asked him he revealed to me honestly that he has a connection in the HR department who arranged it for him. I was so frustrated that I did not at least get that protocol regular courtesy email to tell me that they have reviewed my resume and chose to go with other candidates. After that experience I decided that I wont look for any opportunities in that company because the way their HR is handling their business does not make me comfortable working in such an environment.

Interview Questions

• Apparently you have to have a connection inside the HR.   1 Answer