Expedia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2017

Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in July 2016.

Interview

First round was a phone screening with the recruiter. It took a while for the senior recruiter to contact me back for the second round. Second round was a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager kept saying "bro" and "man" to me...very professional. He also started giving me advice on what I should study because he thinks that particular technology is good. I contacted the senior recruiter to ask him for the hiring manager's email and never received a response. A couple of weeks go by and I contact the recruiters again only to receive the generic "You did not the get job." email. Expedia needs to work on their communication.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

One phone screen with screenshare coding. After that I was called for 6 onsite rounds. Mostly technical whiteboarding and one round related to system design. Leetcode medium and difficulty for most problems. I wasn't prepared for the system design part.

Interview Questions

• parentheses validation, system design, modified binary search   Answer Question

Lodging Content Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

A JMA IT recruiter reached out to me about a Lodging Content Associate role, and was ultimately very unprofessional. Between how softly he spoke and his thick accent, I could barely hear him over the phone. I had to remind him about our phone appointment too, and he was late calling. When finally he did call, he said the position had received too many applicants and was now on hold.

On the upside, I did manage to clarify that the Lodging Content Associate role is a Full-Time Contract to Hire position, and one can expect somewhere around $20-$22/hr.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Expedia in June 2016.

Interview

Applied via their career website. A few days later, received an email from a recruiter asking me to complete an email interview form, which led to a phone interview with the recruiter scheduled about 2 weeks later. That went well so I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager, again, 2 weeks later.

Phone interview with hiring manager seemed to go well. In fact, I received an email from the recruiter inviting me to come in for an in-person interview within the week. Great! Responded to the email with 3 available dates/times, as requested, then crickets. No response from the recruiter. I thought maybe she quit her job!

Two weeks later (Expedia must like the #2!), I received a response from the recruiter that said she was in a "holding pattern" and would contact me as soon as she had direction. Strange to receive such a cold, impersonal email after having several positive, warm interactions with her and the hiring manager...and an invitation to continue in the process!

At that point, I assumed the opportunity was dead. Surely they wouldn't treat a candidate they wanted so poorly. Received a generic rejection email from their ATS one month later. Disappointing, but expected.

I'm not at all upset by the rejection. It's part of the recruiting process. However, I expected more from Expedia. It's poor form to invite someone to interview and then leave them hanging for so long. Recruiting is a two-way process. I respect the time and effort of the hiring team at Expedia by offering them clear, timely communication during the process. I understand that recruiting teams are overwhelmed, but that's not an excuse for such a poor candidate experience. I hope this was an isolated event.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager was a case interview. I don't do well on those and as expected it didn't go well. Imagine my surprise when they called me in for an in-person interview. I got a list of 3 people I would be speaking with the day before, including that same hiring manager, his manager (Senior Director) and another Director. When I got there, turns out I'd be speaking with 2 Manager (my presumptive peers in different groups) and the hiring manager.

The interviews with others went fine -- they asked about my experience, how I handled various situations in the past, etc. Standard stuff. The hiring manager launched into another case interview. Didn't go any better for me -- I don't do well with case interviews. He himself said he's looking for attributes that make a good PM: analytical, persuasion ability, some technical acumen, I forget what the 4th thing was. Clearly he's fixated on the analytical. It's OK -- not everyone clicks. Moving on. OK experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with difficult or ineffective Program Managers/Product Owners   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The process started off with a phone interview with the recruiter followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Once these were done, an on-site interview with various team members and managers was scheduled as a half day event.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter via Email.

followed by non-technical phone interview

Technical phone interview

in person technical interview

Took 2 weeks the process. very slow. The recruiter not following up quick. Interviewer not pay attention and play IPhone games. The coding is very detail oriented. also have some design issues and testing questions.

Interview Questions

• 1 Select top K elements from TB data

2 convert Roman number to integer
      Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I reached out to the recruiter before Consortium orientation program in June and met with her there (Expedia recruits MBA interns only at Consortium and ROMBA for diversity and LGBT students, respectively). She liked my enthusiasm and scheduled me for a behavioral interview the next day.

It took Expedia a week to invite me back for a final round interview. The interview, however, took place in September. Expedia was extremely disorganized throughout the process. I didn't know which specific role I'd be interviewing for until the week of, and didn't even have my hotel accommodations sent until just two days before. HR also didn't let us know to prepare for case questions.

In addition to the onsite interview in Bellevue, we had a happy hour with other employees and went out to drinks with one of the recruiters. I loved the culture and the company business goals, and HR members were the most enthusiastic out of any company I had ever interviewed with.

However I was very disappointed with their lack of professionalism with timely responses. It took Expedia a full two months to provide me a final decision, and they ignored my email saying I was withdrawing my application because of another offer.

They were also not transparent with their timeline (had originally told me I'd hear back in the last week of October, heard back mid November).

Software Devoplment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Expedia visited our campus at UT Dallas. After the tech talk, I met the technical recruiter and discussed about the positions available at Expedia. My resume got shortlisted and I had my first round of interview in the campus. Here I was asked questions about my projects and interests. The next question was a programming question. If a frog can hop and jump, assume hop =1 point and jump =2 points. Given n points find the different way the frog can make n points.

The next two rounds were in Bellevue office. In the second round, I was asked to write a pseudo code for anagram program. It was a whiteboard discussion. Next question was to design classes and functions to assign animals to the cages in a zoo.

in the third round, I was asked about my projects , why expedia. For the technical questions, I was asked to write a program to find the fibonacci series and more questions on recurssion. Then I was asked to design a class to simulate a deck of cards and a function to shuffle the deck.

After two days I heard back from Expedia Recruiters about the results. I had made it through.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, phone screen (2), Skype interview, in person loop of 5 people.

The HR team did a great job sending me materials to prepare for my visit. Enjoyed the pdf "About" pdf and "life at Expedia video" both gave me a good look at the history, current happenings and corporate culture of Expedia.

The receptionists that checked me in were competent at their jobs but were more focused on flirting with the Facilities guy, talking about their weekend plans and chatting with employees that stopped by.

My first interviewer offered me something to drink and showed me the kitchen and restroom facilities. My interview schedule was 4 hours back to back and I had to ask for a moment to use the restroom before my final interview. The room was poorly lit, commented on by several of my interviewers and made reading some of the documentation given to me difficult.

The research I did prior to, as well as the above mentioned pdf and video, spoke about attracting savvy tech workers. In speaking about the corporate culture, one interviewer noted this philosophy but then followed up the observation with the fact that they don't stay for long and are quickly hired away by the lure of higher salarys and bonuses by the other tech driven industries in the area.

It was also interesting to note that 3 of the 5 interviewers in my in person loop were not looking forward to the move to the Seattle campus. As they have embraced the idea of remote working that might not be a huge issue, but over all, those I spoke with prior to, during and after my interview are not in favor of the move.

Overall, good experience, however I left feeling this Dept was more interested in finding a "clone" rather than finding new team members who would carry the Mission statement (Revolutionize Travel Through the Power of Technology) forward.

Interview Questions

• Some skills based questions, primarily how I would handle certian situations and the diverse personalities   Answer Question