Expedia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The process started off with a phone interview with the recruiter followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Once these were done, an on-site interview with various team members and managers was scheduled as a half day event.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter via Email.

followed by non-technical phone interview

Technical phone interview

in person technical interview

Took 2 weeks the process. very slow. The recruiter not following up quick. Interviewer not pay attention and play IPhone games. The coding is very detail oriented. also have some design issues and testing questions.

Interview Questions

• 1 Select top K elements from TB data

2 convert Roman number to integer

MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I reached out to the recruiter before Consortium orientation program in June and met with her there (Expedia recruits MBA interns only at Consortium and ROMBA for diversity and LGBT students, respectively). She liked my enthusiasm and scheduled me for a behavioral interview the next day.

It took Expedia a week to invite me back for a final round interview. The interview, however, took place in September. Expedia was extremely disorganized throughout the process. I didn't know which specific role I'd be interviewing for until the week of, and didn't even have my hotel accommodations sent until just two days before. HR also didn't let us know to prepare for case questions.

In addition to the onsite interview in Bellevue, we had a happy hour with other employees and went out to drinks with one of the recruiters. I loved the culture and the company business goals, and HR members were the most enthusiastic out of any company I had ever interviewed with.

However I was very disappointed with their lack of professionalism with timely responses. It took Expedia a full two months to provide me a final decision, and they ignored my email saying I was withdrawing my application because of another offer.

They were also not transparent with their timeline (had originally told me I'd hear back in the last week of October, heard back mid November).

Software Devoplment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Expedia visited our campus at UT Dallas. After the tech talk, I met the technical recruiter and discussed about the positions available at Expedia. My resume got shortlisted and I had my first round of interview in the campus. Here I was asked questions about my projects and interests. The next question was a programming question. If a frog can hop and jump, assume hop =1 point and jump =2 points. Given n points find the different way the frog can make n points.

The next two rounds were in Bellevue office. In the second round, I was asked to write a pseudo code for anagram program. It was a whiteboard discussion. Next question was to design classes and functions to assign animals to the cages in a zoo.

in the third round, I was asked about my projects , why expedia. For the technical questions, I was asked to write a program to find the fibonacci series and more questions on recurssion. Then I was asked to design a class to simulate a deck of cards and a function to shuffle the deck.

After two days I heard back from Expedia Recruiters about the results. I had made it through.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, phone screen (2), Skype interview, in person loop of 5 people.

The HR team did a great job sending me materials to prepare for my visit. Enjoyed the pdf "About" pdf and "life at Expedia video" both gave me a good look at the history, current happenings and corporate culture of Expedia.

The receptionists that checked me in were competent at their jobs but were more focused on flirting with the Facilities guy, talking about their weekend plans and chatting with employees that stopped by.

My first interviewer offered me something to drink and showed me the kitchen and restroom facilities. My interview schedule was 4 hours back to back and I had to ask for a moment to use the restroom before my final interview. The room was poorly lit, commented on by several of my interviewers and made reading some of the documentation given to me difficult.

The research I did prior to, as well as the above mentioned pdf and video, spoke about attracting savvy tech workers. In speaking about the corporate culture, one interviewer noted this philosophy but then followed up the observation with the fact that they don't stay for long and are quickly hired away by the lure of higher salarys and bonuses by the other tech driven industries in the area.

It was also interesting to note that 3 of the 5 interviewers in my in person loop were not looking forward to the move to the Seattle campus. As they have embraced the idea of remote working that might not be a huge issue, but over all, those I spoke with prior to, during and after my interview are not in favor of the move.

Overall, good experience, however I left feeling this Dept was more interested in finding a "clone" rather than finding new team members who would carry the Mission statement (Revolutionize Travel Through the Power of Technology) forward.

Interview Questions

• Some skills based questions, primarily how I would handle certian situations and the diverse personalities   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewed over Skype. Four individual interviews each around 30 min. Relaxed yet professional. Not the standard boiler plate questions. More conversational taking about technology and experience. Shortest turn around time I've ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• What area of the software development lifecycle do you think is the most challenging in real world scenarios?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Expedia in May 2016.

Interview

Got an email from the director of Data Science about a Data Science summer internship opening, had a phone screen and then a technical interview. First phone screen was a general resume screen and the second round was a machine learning problem. I was asked about how I would approach the problem, what tools would I use and how will I evaluate the model.

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Apply online through a career event. Got a skype interview with recruit manager before the event. Then about two weeks later I was asked to have two in-person interview in the event with senior manager and market manager.

Interview Questions

• 3 characteristics that you can bring to Expedia
      Negotiation experience and what compromise did you make
      Ever worked with people that you don’t like?
      Working with non-supportive partners?
      How to make hotels be willing to be our partners?

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

One phone screening with HR, followed by one phone interview with the hiring manager, then one-to-one in-person interview (back-to-back) with 4 members of leadership team. It was a great experience overall, I actually learned a lot about the team and product during my interview. I honestly did not nail all of interview questions, it's important that you stay calm, confident, and curious (3Cs). Be prepared with industry knowledge and the brand offerings. DO your research beforehand.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize projects?   Answer Question
    • 2 case questions:

Marketing team called you, they asked you to take down your feature from landing page because it caused lower conversion rate in Italy. What would you do?

Your boss came to you: "We want to shut down one of our brands. Which one would you suggest?"
    • Tell me how you handled a conflict.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

The interview process at Expedia was pretty standard and not very difficult. Fist step was a 30 minute conversation with the recruiter, then came a 'technical' screening which wasn't very technical at all, then an onsite meeting with the director and area manager and finally an offer which I was able to negotiate and 5K signing bonus.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with REVPAR?   1 Answer