Expedia Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Expedia Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (New York, NY).

Interview

Mostly Behavioral and deep diving into products in the resume. Answer in the STAR format.
Do highlight your experience from product inception to launch and everything in between.
2 Phone rounds and then onsite with 5 people including manager

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Nice people. After applying for a role and getting a reply from recruiting, I filled out an online questionnaire, had a recruiting phone screen, a HM phone screen, and then a five-hour interview loop with a catered lunch break on site. Everone was very pleasant. I never heard back after the loop, so I guess I didn't get the job. :-)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

After a screen with the recruiter and another with the hiring manager, I was invited for an in-person loop with five current employees ranging from roles within products, engineering and design. Everyone was extremely friendly and honest about their experiences at Expedia, and wanted to ensure a good fit for both them and me. Questions focused mostly on past experience, with a couple hypothetical questions about what you would do if you worked at Expedia.

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about [past project]. Who where the stakeholders & how did you interact with them?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager was a case interview. I don't do well on those and as expected it didn't go well. Imagine my surprise when they called me in for an in-person interview. I got a list of 3 people I would be speaking with the day before, including that same hiring manager, his manager (Senior Director) and another Director. When I got there, turns out I'd be speaking with 2 Manager (my presumptive peers in different groups) and the hiring manager.

The interviews with others went fine -- they asked about my experience, how I handled various situations in the past, etc. Standard stuff. The hiring manager launched into another case interview. Didn't go any better for me -- I don't do well with case interviews. He himself said he's looking for attributes that make a good PM: analytical, persuasion ability, some technical acumen, I forget what the 4th thing was. Clearly he's fixated on the analytical. It's OK -- not everyone clicks. Moving on. OK experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with difficult or ineffective Program Managers/Product Owners   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Applied through the Expedia website. Recruiter e-mailed the next day and we arranged a phone interview for later in the week. After positive call we arranged a follow on call with the hiring manager. After the second call I followed up with the recruiter for some feedback and never got a response. I waited a week and followed up, again with no response. Like most candidates who spend time preparing I expect at a minimum a yes/no after the initial stages. I had heard positive things about this company, but this experience left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Interview Questions

• General questions with regarding experience related to the role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

1 phone interview with Principal Product Manager. It's important to note that I feel strongly my interview was not an interview at all, but more for information/idea sourcing, which is becoming increasingly common among companies. The actual job opening, may or may not have existed, but it was clear from right off the bat, the interviewing manager was looking for monetization inspiration about a future product offering they were prepping to put out. Every question revolved around the new product feature, and the lack of hiring sincerity was fairly obvious.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Specific role: Sr. PM of Social. The interview consisted of: 1 Phone Screener with Hiring Director, 2 On-site Interviews with SF Office (Eng Lead and Program Management), 2 Phone Interviews with Social Media manager and Analytics, 1 Phone Interview with Global VP PM. Early-on the process was expedited; however, several interview participants were late to the calls (including the Social Media Manager that was 20 minutes late and jumped on to the call while driving into work thus ending the call 15 minutes early due to reception issues). The Interview process was not structured at all - most questions were around what my experiences were and what I thought social meant for the Travel industry (Expedia does not seem to know either and believes 3rd party reviews is the best social signal to mine). The culture believes in failing fast yet their release cycles indicate otherwise. Leadership-wise you will not find any MBA/Google/Facebook pedigree within the Product team which speaks to how quickly their share erodes to the competitors. The best candidate will not come in with ground-breaking feature ideas but simply know how to execute given top-down strategy. The role seems more of Project Management than Product Management. The HR Recruiter also failed to respond to any request for progress (she took 14+ days to respond to request for an update). On another request for an update, she took 7 days to reply and blamed Sr Mgmt for the lack of response when likely they were interviewing other candidates. The slow process likely reflects how it is like to work within a non-agile environment there.

Interview Questions

• Define the roadmap for social in Expedia's travel offerings. How would you execute such a roadmap with limited time constraints.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online on company website. Telephone interviews 3 weeks later, 30 minutes with recruiter and 30 minutes with hiring manager. On site interviews 10 days thereafter, a full cycle including hiring manager, prospective colleagues and another department head. The interviewers were professional and courteous. I thought the interviews went well. Sent thank you notes to the recruiter and hiring manager, also asking them to forward my note to all interviewers (since they didn't provide their contact details). Didn't hear back from the recruiter for two months despite a few inquiry emails, and finally received a call that the position had been put on hold.

My overall impression is of a good company that is ill-served by its recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Point out where Expedia can improve compared to a competitor website, for a specific process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

- Too many interviews - more than 4 interviews and it becomes repetitive after the 4th interview
    - HR was helpful in guiding thru the process
    - Questions were not focused on one role, and it seemed interviewers were getting answers to problems they were working on

Interview Questions

• Should Expedia invest in rail business?   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia in November 2012.

Interview

Typical interview loop - got interviewed at the peer level, senior manager level and then at the SVP level. Seems like they add levels based on your caliber. The hiring manager was kind enough to take me to a tour of the workplace and provide a quick overview of the team structure etc. There were some brain teaser questions, but most of the questions were on process improvement and SDLC etc.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, my successes and failures, SDLC processes, continuous improvement and agile.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Barely any negotiation. Salaries are pretty much decided.