Explore Learning Assistant Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Explore Learning Assistant Director Interview Questions

Interviews at Explore Learning

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview, a centre interview in Cardiff and attended the Assessment Day in Guildford. The process lasted about 3 months, it was supposed to be shorter but due to university commitments I attended a later Assessment day.

The phone interview is very relaxed, but still formal so it's nothing to be worried about provided that you are prepared. Have a look at the company's website and note down their values and competencies. They're really looking to see how you can fit in with their visions and values and what you can bring to the company. I was told at the end of this phone call that I had been successful and that they wanted me to attend a centre interview in a centre of my choice.

I chose to interview at Cardiff Thornhill, the staff there were really friendly and made me feel really welcome. They gave me a membership package to look over before giving me a tour of the centre and conducting the interview and role play. The role play seems really scary but trust me it's not! They do put up a barrier to see how well you can think on your feet but as long as you think of the different reasons why people wouldn't want to join a gym i.e. to expensive, not enough time etc. then you'll be fine! Ultimately they're just looking to find out more about you, you're experiences and how you can fit in with the company - so just be yourself. I found out about the outcome of this interview 5 days later (it was over a weekend) and was super excited to find out that I was going to an assessment day in Guildford!

The Assessment Day was a really fun experience and was a great insight to the company. Throughout all the interviews the one thing that struck me was how enthusiastic everyone is about Explore Learning and about the job that they do, which really reinforced my desire to be a part of Explore. The day is structured as follows: an introduction to the company, a getting to know you interview, presentation and role play, English and maths test, lunch and then a group activity in the afternoon.

During the introduction everyone introduces themselves and you meet the interviewers, they go over the companies history and make you feel really comfortable. They made it very clear that we were not in competition with each other and that we should just be ourselves and enjoy the day. The getting to know you interview was very similar to the previous interviews, and involved talking about when and where I was looking to start working. After this I did the English and maths test, which was very basic and nothing to stress out about! Then I did the presentation and role play. This was the bit I was more nervous about as you have to present your personal compass (where you're from, where you're going, what makes you great and what makes you happy). The role play was similar to that in the centre interview except you were actually trying to secure a trial session for an Explore centre. I didn't manage to get the trial session, but I did get contact details and the feedback they provided was really informative.

After the morning we were treated to lunch at Zizzi's, which was really nice and gave me an opportunity to speak more to the other candidates and interviewers in a more relaxed environment. Just be careful not to get too relaxed and maintain your professionalism as they are still looking to find out who you are as a person.

The afternoon group activity was the part I was least worried about before hand, however it was more challenging than I had thought it would be. We each had to think of a word, put in in a bowl, select a word and talk about it for one minute. Then we were each given a character and asked to make up a back story for why we deserved a £25,000 investment. I was an entrepreneur looking to take my business global, others included a dog walking business and a makeup freelance artist. We had to pitch our ideas to the group and decide, as a group, who would get the money. If we couldn't decide then no body would get any money at all. I found this the most difficult as we had spent all day getting to know each other, and we wanted to give each other an opportunity to shine so no one really fought for the investment.

Interview Questions

• You're an Assistant Director at one of our Sainsbury's centers. You ask one of your tutors to go out into the store and hand out some leaflets, but they have some concerns about this and don't really want to do it. How would you approach this and motivate them to complete the task?   Answer Question
  • You're in one of our centres and the CD and other AD are out at a school workshop. You're the only one in the centre as it's midday and the phone rings. It's the finance office in Head Office and they're asking for the centre's finance report before a big meeting in an hour. It wasn't you're job originally but it needs to be completed before this meeting with the company's investors, you sit down to do the task and a woman walks into the centre. She picks up a leaflet and starts to look around. What would you do in this situation?   Answer Question

Mar 26, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed account of your application experience. It is great you found the experience positive and were offered a role at Explore. Enjoy getting to... More

Other Interview Reviews for Explore Learning

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

Positive experience overall. Bit misleading- they made out that they would be able to employ everyone who was there, yet there weren't any positions available in correct locations. Nice people but am pleased I won't be working for them. They couldn't answer why this position had terrible retention rates...

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Sep 10, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience. We are able to offer everyone the Assistant Director role if they are suitable for the role, but as you mention, the start date depends on the... More

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (London, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

After phone interview I was invited to visit the centre for a tour, interview and role play. Everyone was very welcoming and smiling, which put me at ease. The interview was with 2 employees and was fairly thorough. After that was the role play of selling a gym membership, I got 2 attempts to do this, 1 after feedback. The visit to the centre lasted just over an hour.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Sep 10, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving feedback about your interview experience. I am pleased everyone was welcoming!

All the best in your search for a suitable career!

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

I personally didn't have a telephone interview. The initial centre interview consisted of a tour around the centre, a selection of fairly standard competency and scenario-based questions, a sales role-play and a chance to meet some of the children. The role play can be nerve wracking but listen to their feedback as you get the opportunity to repeat it, they're more interested in seeing how you can improve! Some of the children are really friendly and some are more shy - just ask them questions and be as enthusiastic and possible.

I received a call the next day inviting me to an assessment day at the head office in Guilford. I was nervous initially but the team are all so friendly and make you feel really welcome and relaxed, so try and enjoy the day as much as possible because they really are just trying to get to know you! You have plenty of time in between tasks to get to know the other candidates and the fact you're not in competition means you can exchange tips and you can all work together in the afternoon group activity - again, this task is more about how you work as a team and how well you respond to criticism from the interviewers. The written task is very basic and the interviews themselves are fine as long as you're prepared and enthusiastic. I was most nervous for the role play so chose to do that first so I could relax during my presentation, which I chose to do via PowerPoint. The role play was similar to centre interview, except this time you're trying to sell explore learning rather than an initial gym membership and you only do it once. I didn't book a trial session as I didn't give enough information about how explore learning would benefit the child specifically. Lunch was really nice and a chance to get to know the interviewers - just be yourself while maintaining your professionalism! Overall it's a great experience and I was delighted to be offered a job the next day. Just read through the website, try to enjoy it and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Oct 1, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for leaving a lovely review about your interview experience. It is fantastic that you had such a positive experience and you were offered the role! Congratulations and welcome to the Explore... More

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

It began with a online application and within a few days I was invited to a centre near me. This involved a role play regarding selling a gym membership and basic competency based questions on why you would like to work for Explore Learning.

You will receive a telephone call decalring whether you were successful. You will then be invited to the next assesment centre.

Assesment Centre:
    A simple maths/literacy based test.
    A presentation on 1) Where did you come from? 2)Where are you going? 3)What makes you happy?
    A role play on selling the Explore Learning product.
    A 1:1 interview asking scenario based questions.
    A group exercise in the afternoon.

Essentially, the assessment centre is heavily focused on your sales skills. I was not asked about my experience with children once.

Also make sure you take a lead role in the group exercise, or at least contribute a large part. All the assessors are analysing you whilst this is taking place.

Interview Questions

• A scenario: The finance manager has called the office asking you to send the monthly finance tarrgets ASAP. He urges you on how importance this. Straight after you have received this call, a parent walks in, asking to know more about Explore Learning and whether they can book a trial day. How would you approach this scenario?   1 Answer

Oct 3, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to detail your interviews. I am sorry you felt the experience was a negative one.

We do focus on sales skills during the role play as it is an important part of the... More

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Explore Learning in September 2018.

Interview

Jumped straight in with a centre interview without having a phone interview as some people have reported. The centre interview was nice and nothing to worry about- a little tour and chat with the CD and AD before answering some interview questions. These were really based on what I was already saying or what was relevant to me, just be chatty and don’t get bogged down with worrying what the questions might be!
    Role play: they know you’ll be nervous about this so they do try to be as nice as possible! The main thing is to build rapport and to get to know what they NEED. Don’t be bogged down with blindly ‘selling.’ Get to know them and tailor the chat! But just don’t worry if it doesn’t go perfectly- they aren’t looking for the finished article.

Assessment day:
    I had a LOVELY day! Honestly everyone is lovely from the off set and it’s a very chilled atmosphere, no ones in competition! The presentation is just a conversation starter and nothing to worry about. The interview is a little more difficult and does ask some scenario questions- just stick to your guns and don’t be swayed by the interviewer. Try to bring in your relevant experience and you’ll be fine.
    Maths and English test; super easy, don’t worry. Maths wouldn’t be my fav subject but it wasn’t a concern at all!
    Lunch: zizzis!! Lovely chance to chat to everyone
    Group task: this is really short and felt a little odd after lunch. We did the task for 20 mins and then went home which meant we didn’t get to say goodbye to the other half of the group. The task wasn’t my fav bit of the day just because it was hard to know exactly what to do (it was relevant to explore and your role as an AD) but just be confident and you’ll be fine. It’s very much about how you function as a team so be wary of that.

Everyone says the process is really nice and that everyone’s friendly but it’s definitely true! Try to have fun with it because this is definitely one of the nicer interview experiences and really encourages you to be yourself!

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate your team to reach their target before the end of the month?   Answer Question

Oct 9, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your feedback - it's great that you had a lovely day! Congratulations for being offered the job and welcome to the Explore family.

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

From start to finish my experience with Explore's interview process was very much positive. I first applied online directly through Explore Learning's website, answering questions as to why I suited the role of Assistant Director and what I could bring to the company. A few days later I was invited to visit a local centre which was very convenient, where I was shown around before having a one-to-one interview. I was also asked to partake in a role play where my task was to sell a gym membership to a passer-by or at least, secure a free trial session. I was notified of the outcome of the centre visit the very next day. Having been successful, I was then invited to the assessment centre day in Guildford. While traveling to Guildford was a little inconvenient, I honestly enjoyed the day itself. The staff were very friendly and put us all at ease instantly and breaks in between each of the activities gave time to chat to the other candidates. The day consisted of another one-to-one interview, a role play, a numeracy and literacy task, a presentation and a group activity. Before the assessment centre you are emailed an itinerary of the day which means that you can prepare well in advance which helps. I was again notified of the outcome the very next day! Overall, a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Aug 20, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience of applying to work at Explore. I am so pleased you found it positive and were successful during the process. Welcome to the Explore family!

Application

Interview

Initial application form to outline qualifications, skills and experience, followed by two stages of interviews.

First stage takes place in a local centre, giving you a chance to see the centre in action, and consists of an interview and other tasks lasting around an hour.

Second stage is a full assessment day at Head Office in Guildford, again consisting of an interview and tasks similar to the centre interview, followed by a group activity in the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• How would the skills you've gained prepare you for the role?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a team scenario did not encountered problems, and what did you do to solve this?   Answer Question

Aug 20, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience. I am pleased you had a positive experience, and congratulations on being offered the role - welcome to the Explore family!

Application

Interview

There are three stages to the Explore interview, a quick phone call interview then a centre interview and finally an assessment day. The centre interview really is about getting to the knitty gritty of why you really want to work at Explore learning and what skills you have that would benefit Explore ~ use the answers that you put down in your initial application to support you. Then there is a role play where you are promoting your gym - just make sure you ask lots of questions to find out exactly what the customer wants in a gym and check up on how they’re feeling about your gym/membership etc throughout. You will do this twice providing your self reflection and taking him on board the feedback of the interviewers. Then you’ll get a chance to go and interact with the children which is great fun.
    I found out I was successful the next day and had my assessment day the folllwing week in their Head Office.
    I know everyone says it but really everybody is extremely nice and as your not in competition with the other candidates you really can support one another. My group all went for a drink after the day because we all got on so well. Top tip which I feel like I shouldn’t have to say but it happened at my interview - don’t use your phones during the day if you can and definitely not when the interviewers take you for lunch at Zizzi’s, not only is it rude under normal circumstances but definitely would not recommend doing this when they’re trying to really get to know you. All in all I would get too stressed about it, be yourself, make sure you learn your stuff about the company and you’ll be fine. The maths and English test is absolutely fine and so are the presentations and getting to know you parts of the interview. Role play is nerve wracking but just try to imagine you really are just talking to someone you’ve approached as opposed to an interviewer.

Good luck to everyone and thank you to Explore for such a suportive and relaxing interview environment.

Interview Questions

• If you walked into a centre right now what would you do, how would you go about managing the centre?   Answer Question

Sep 4, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience at Explore. It is great to read you found the experience positive and have accepted a role with us! Welcome to the Explore family!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

Applied online and was offered a centre interview immediately. The centre interview was well organised, showed the best of what explore had to offer and friendly. Asked standard interview questions such as why explore? what could you offer etc? The Roleplay was rather easy at the centre.

Was invited to an assessment centre, which was not a good experience. Firstly the head office is in Guildford which isn't the easiest of areas to reach and explore offer no help with travel expenses even for people flying from Scotland or NI.

Very quickly it became obvious that this role is not about management but selling, which was not the job I had applied for. The assessment day involved an interview, maths and english text and roleplay. The assessment day timetable overran quite dramatically and therefore the final part which was a roleplay and presentation before lunch was very rushed and therefore extremely offputting and almost rude. Group activity could have been better organised, as teamworking activities don't tend to work too well with 10+ people and leadership very quickly became about who could talk over others the loudest.

Interview Questions

• You have to do a finance report asap but there is a customer outside the centre with a leaflet? What do you do?   Answer Question

Aug 7, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to the centre, but am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the assessment centre. We are able to offer assistance with... More