Explore Learning Assistant Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Explore Learning Assistant Director Interview Questions

Interviews at Explore Learning

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

A telephone interview summarising why you want to work for Explore and relative experience you have

As a tutor for the company already, I did not have a centre interview like most candidates.

An assessment day in Guildford broken down into lots of small tasks. A one to one interview very similar to the telephone interview with some scenario questions, a sales role play, a presentation, a maths and english test and a group activity at the end.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Jul 2, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your interview experience – welcome to the Explore Learning family!

Other Interview Reviews for Explore Learning

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in June 2018.

Interview

After my initial application I was contacted by Explore to arrange a telephone interview for the following week. In the telephone interview you discuss your experiences and a few scenario style questions. I was then invited for a centre interview which was good fun and great to see exactly what the job would entail. I was also able to experience what it would be like working with the children in the centre. I heard back regarding the centre interview the following evening, inviting me to an assessment day the following week. Explore are really organised and give you plenty of guidance in terms of what the day will entail and what you need to prepare making the whole process much easier. The assessment day itself was enjoyable and everyone was really friendly as you are not in direct competition with the other applicants. The assessment day consisted of another cv interview, role play, presentation, group task and a short maths and English test.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you worked as a leader and how you motivated your team?   Answer Question

Jun 25, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your interview experience. Welcome to the Explore Learning family!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in June 2018.

Interview

The application process was divided into 3 sections. Firstly there was an online application, this was comprised of uploading your CV and two questions.

Secondly, there was an interview at a centre local to me. During this I had a tour of the centre, a skills based interview, a role play and 15 minutes tutoring some children. The hardest part of this was the role play, but they do understand that it is nerve racking! My advice for this is to just be yourself, Explore aren't just looking for skills but also a friendly and passionate person that fits with their ethos.

Then was the assessment centre. This began with a presentation about the history of the company which was really interesting to learn about. Then I had to perform another role play, which was selling the Explore Learning package. This was the most nerve racking part of the day for everyone there, something which the recruitment staff definitely understood. I also had to present my personal compass, which was outlining a bit more about who I am as a person. I really liked this bit as I felt it said a lot about the company, they are really interested in you as an individual. Then I had to complete a basic maths and literacy test followed by another skills based interview. The interview process was really relaxed, they aren't testing you, it felt like having a conversation more than an interview. Finally there was the group activity, which was comprised of competing for limted funding for our buisness. My advice would be to not speak over other people in this bit, it's easy to get ahead of yourself and just begin shouting over others.

I was impressed with how fast they got back to me, the next morning I recieved a phone call saying I had got the job. How lovely Explore were through out the process cemented that I wanted to work for the organisation.

Interview Questions

• Are you a resilient person?
      How do you like to be managed?   Answer Question

Jun 25, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your interview experience. It is great to hear about your positive experience. Welcome to the Explore family!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

So far I have had a phone interview and the next stage will be a face to face interview and then a recruitment day. The phone interview was relatively straight forward and relaxed. I would recommend researching the company's visions and values and considering the job role and what is required as they want to know how you would deal with certain situations which you may encounter in this role.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach your first few weeks in the Centre in a management role, where there will be many staff who have much more experience with the company?   Answer Question

Dec 12, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for providing feedback of your interview, I hope the rest of your experience continued to be a positive one.

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

The process took approximately 3 weeks from application to offer.

Personally I found the experience extremely positive, through both the centre interview and the assessment day I felt extremely welcomed and not put on edge whatsoever. The interviewers aren't trying to catch you out at all, they want you to get the job.

Centre interview
    -tour
    -discussing the centre and position
    -interview
    -role play based on a gym membership

Assessment Day
    -Arrival with drinks and snacks
    -Brief history of the company
    -Information regarding the position and progression through the company
    -Interview 1 (Scenario Questions)
    -Maths and English test
    -Interview 2 (Role Play)
    LUNCH
    - group activity

End of Day

The day itself was extremely fun, and the best part is that you aren't in competition with any of the other candidates as you are all being interviewed for different centres.

EL called me the next day to tell me I had got the job, but there was no opening near me.

The only downfall is that Explore Learning is extremely popular and you can be waiting a long time to be placed in some regions, so despite getting the job, it can be disheartening having to wait so long.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Nov 12, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your application and interview experience. I am pleased to read the overall experience was positive - congratulations on being offered the role. I hope you don't have to wait a... More

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (London, England (UK)).

Interview

After submitting my online application, there was a short phone interview. It was brief and was just a taster into the life of an Assistant Director and a chance for the company to get to know me. After that I was invited into a centre interview, which for me was amazing. It was here that I was able to really understand what working at Explore Learning would entail, the environment and the relationship between the centre director and the assistant directors was motivating as it really showed me that the values they promote are an actual part of their everyday lives. After this, I was invite to an assessment day, I was mostly nervous about this aspect as I had never attended an assessment day before, but as soon as I walked in the atmosphere and team where so welcoming it was easy to feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

Nov 12, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of the Assistant Director application and interview process. It is great that you found the centre interview amazing, and I will make sure I pass on your comments... More

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process is in a number of stages including: an online application, telephone interview, centre interview and finally the assessment day down in their HQ in Guildford. The online application is fairly straight forward. I skipped the telephone interview stage but the centre interview was both relaxing and intense. Relaxing in that the people interviewing you were very friendly but intense in that you are assessed by a role play activity and on your interaction with the children. However, the agenda you are sent before the centre interview is very detailed and outlines the whole process. It even gives some suggested questions to prep for! The assessment day is quite full on but again people were really friendly. They are looking more at your enthusiasm and personality because they can teach the required skills. In total there were 15 people applying for the jobs but interestingly it's not a case of competing with others for positions as people can apply for different centres all over the UK. So overall the atmosphere is very friendly between applicants. Also, they take you out (and pay) for lunch to Zizzis but do be warned the interviewers will be watching you at lunch too!

Interview Questions

• How would I feel about waiting for a position to come up on one of my chosen centres?   Answer Question

Oct 15, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience - it is great that you had a positive experience. Congratulations on being offered the position, and welcome to the Explore family!

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

I first applied online and answered two questions about my interest in the company. A couple of days later I was asked to book a phone interview, which took place two weeks later. The phone interview lasted about 25 minutes and was partly an informal chat, but also a way of gauging enthusiasm. I was also asked a couple of scenario based questions, and a little about my background. I would recommend just staying enthusiastic and engaged! I was told immediately at the end of the conversation that I had made it to the next stage. The next stage was a centre interview, which took place three days after my phone interview. I chose my five closest centres to visit and got my fourth choice. The centre interview was really easy going. The only negative was that they didn't seem prepared for my arrival and I had to wait. First there was a tour of the centre and a chance to ask questions. After this the centre and assistant director went over my CV and past experience- a typical interview. Just sell yourself and be confident. Afterwards, we did a roleplay which involved trying to get someone to sign up to a gym membership. That was actually really fun and not as stressful as I had feared. You get feedback and then another chance. Listen to the feedback and at least try to get details of the "client". As long as you're confident, engaging, care about who you're speaking to, and respond to constructive criticism, you'll be fine. The last part was twenty minutes helping the kids with their work. You get feedback halfway so again, listen and respond! It was nice seeing the children in action and I learned more about how EL works. I found out the next day that I made it to the final stage of the application process, the assessment day in Guildford. You really have to be motivated about this job because it's a long and expensive trip, although at least you get a great lunch paid for you (at Zizzi's). You're presented with info on the company, you meet everyone at the head office, and you're told that you don't have to compete with other candidates as you're all applying to different centres. The day went as follows: one on one interview (be serious as this is the formal interview) a roleplay and a presentation of yourself (don't stress about the role play. The most important thing seemed to be taking feedback on the chin and not getting upset). Then you have a simple maths and English test (primary school level). Lunch is awesome, but is still part of the interview process so don't let your hair down too much. Then there's a group task to finish the day which my group didn't feel too confident about... But can't have gone too bad, as I found out the very next day that I had been offered the position. Overall it wasn't a difficult process- just long. My advice would be to remember that they're looking for reasons to hire you, not reasons not to hire you. Remember the company values, sell yourself... And enjoy yourself! Everyone is really lovely and welcoming and it's a fun and educating process.

Interview Questions

• What steps would you take if you didn't have a personal/good connection with a colleague?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got my first choice of centre and chose my own starting date. They really cared about making sure I made the right decision for me.

Oct 15, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your experience. It is great you had a positive experience and congratulations on being offered the role! Apologies the centre didn't appear prepared for you. They often have... More

Application

Interview

Online application:
    This application consists of your general details, start dates, locations etc. You also have to answer two short questions, the first being about why you want the role and the second regarding what skills and experiences you can bring to the team.

Telephone interview:
    I had a telephone interview as I was already a tutor at Explore Learning. Candidates coming from outside of Explore have to attend an in-centre interview which involves having a look around the centre, interacting with the children and a role play activity selling a gym membership. My telephone interview involved questions about logistics and start dates, as well as a number of scenario based questions, for example "A tutor is showing a negative attitude to children in his zone. What do you do?"

Assessment day:
    This was a really enjoyable experience to get to know the team in HQ and also a number of other excited candidates! The day was full-on and intense, but the team did a great job of not making it feel intense or scary when we were there. The day consisted of the following:
    - Presentation by HQ team about the company, the role and what the day would involve
    - Interview 1, which was about skills and experiences and logistics. I was asked a few scenario based questions, including "How would you motivate staff to make sure targets are met if you were halfway through the month and behind targets?", as well as questions like "What is the magic ingredient which makes Explore work?"
    - Interview 2, which involved a role play and a presentation about yourself. The role play was about getting someone to sign up to a free trial with Explore. Make sure you really get to know the customer and create demand at the end. I had booked trials in real life before but failed to get a trial booked in the role play as I didn't create enough demand (e.g. "I only have two slots this weekend if you're interested in coming"). The presentation was a 'Personal Compass' which involved discussing where I had come from, where I was going, what makes me great and what makes me happy. This was straightforward enough and I was asked a few questions about myself at the end.
    - Maths and literacy task. Don't stress about this! It is all simple stuff at primary/secondary school level.
    - Lunch at Zizzi. The team took us all for lunch at Zizzi and this was lovely! We all took some time to get to know each other more and the HQ team spread themselves amongst us at the table. Just be sure to get involved with conversations and don't say or do anything inappropriate!
    - Group activity. We were split into small groups and had 15 minutes to think of a plan to ensure targets are met in a slow-growth month. Then we had to present this back to the team. Make sure you speak equal amounts and really consider any flaws in your plan which you can address in the discussion after.

My assessment day was on the Friday and I received a call offering me the position on the following Monday morning! I am really excited to progress my career within Explore Learning.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate staff to ensure targets are met?   Answer Question
    • What can you bring to the team?   Answer Question
    • You are the only member of the management team in on a weekend and one of your two tutors coming in at 10am calls in sick at 9:30am. What do you do?   Answer Question

Oct 9, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Congratulations on your promotion from Tutor to Assistant Director and all the best for your continued Explore career!

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Birmingham, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Started with a tour of the centre, followed by the interview with typical interview question, a role play in which you had to sell a gym membership and finally tutoring the children for approximately 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How have you shown leadership skills?
      If you had a bad day what would keep you going?   Answer Question

Nov 12, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience. All the best in your search for a suitable career.