Extra Space District Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Extra Space District Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2017

3.3

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space.

Interview

Phone interview with corporate and then a face to face interview with the Regional Vice President. It was a bonus that the VP came to the area in which I was applying for and I did not have to travel to the corporate office like a lot of organizations make you do. Both went well and I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. I felt that the interview was more of a conversation which was great. In this kind of setting was able to really get a feel for whether or not we would mesh well working together.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Extra Space

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Extra Space (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2015.

Interview

Recruiter - HR manager - DVP. The process took 1 week. The WebEx interview with the DVP was very awkward he never looked into the camera he was actually standing the entire time. In retail we talk about looking a customer in the eyes when having a conversation but the DVP never looked at me on the camera a single time--------Total Disrespect. Never trust a person that won't look you in the eyes when having a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to make a decision about terminating an employee. The basic scenario questions.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Extra Space in May 2015.

Interview

This was a very extensive interview process. You will interview with seven different individuals ranging from recruiter, HR, regional, director. The entire process lasted about 8 weeks. With this being said Extra Space is very protective of their culture and wants to ensure they hire the right fit.

Interview Questions

• What opportunities did you have on your yearly reviews?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Extra Space (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

I was instantly attracted to this position and began to apply online. Before you enter in any education/work experience, there are several pre-screening questions. I filled all of these out and then was immediately told I didn't have the position. I was confused since I hadn't entered in any personal information yet and everything I selected on the pre-screen met their requirements. I sent an email to their corporate HR to see if it was a glitch or what the reasoning was...I really wanted that job! They told me I didn't meet the qualifications. Here's where I think the confusion was. The experience requires states "Bachelor's degree OR equivalent of 3-5 years work experience." Since I have a Bachelors degree and 2 years of experience, I interpreted that as one or the other. Either a Bachelor's degree, OR 3-5 years experience. If they're going to deny someone employment before they're able to type in their education and experience, then change the requirements on the job advertisement to say Bachelors degree AND 3-5 years experience.

Interview Questions

Extra Space Response

Oct 28, 2013 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback & interest in working at Extra Space Storage. We are interested in hearing about your District Manager experience. Feel free to contact me Russ Wynn, Recruiting ... More

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Extra Space (Dallas, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

The entire process was lengthy. Starting with a phone screen, 2 separate phone interviews, in person interview with at 3 people, and one or two final phone interviews with executive level leadership. Expect the process to take roughly 2 months with multiple interviews throughout via phone, web meeting, and in person interactions. The initial interview also requested a local market survey to be done as well as an evaluation of a company property.

Interview Questions

• Details on previous experience, experience leading a sales team, communication styles, dealing with challenges, team development, hiring practices.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Sacramento, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy and multifaceted as is the norm for this type of position. It started with an email response back to my online application. I then video conferenced with the recruiter based in Utah which focused on the general type of skills and management style questions after which I was scheduled for another interview with the local HR business partner. So two weeks later I once again interviewed via video conference, the interview went well and she advised me I would be scheduled to meet and interview with the Division Vice President. Two weeks later I interviewed with the DVP as well as the talent manager at the local region office. The interview for the first 40 minutes felt very much like an interrogation about how my current employer ran their operations (I work for a competitor) very few questions about my skills or management style until almost the end of the process. I also interviewed with the Talent Development manager. Before I left the DVP advised me that he was going to also have me meet with a Senior District Manager as this was part of their interview process. (This felt odd as usually you interview with all the underlings and finally with the DVP, this interview seemed backward as now I was set to interview with an underling). A week later I drove out to the bay area to interview with the SDM once again the interviews focus seemed to on my employer’s current operational practices and slightly on my skills. The interview seemed to go well until I received: A thanks for interviewing email a day later.

The interview process seemed a bit backwards as I interviewed and was moved forward in the process by the DVP only to be stymied by the underling SDM.
    The other concerning this was that one of my hourly employees had also sought out a position with this company and interviewed with the same Senior District Manager. During her interview he advised her that I had also interviewed with his company and that HE was not going to be hiring me!!! Since I have a good relationship with my employee and I knew she was looking elsewhere, she told me right away. But this lack of discretion and boosting that HE was not going to hire me I found to be unprofessional and really disturbing.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Extra Space (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview at this level is pretty in depth. Had to interview with at least 6 different people at different times. It took about 3 months to complete. Pretty standard interview questions are asked by all as well as a background check. The upside of this process is you get a chance to ask multiple people what their thoughts are on the company. The whole experience was incredibly positive even though it took a long time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Atlanta, GA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by Corporate Recruiter. From there I had 4 additional interviews. Everything seemed to go well but didn't receive contact until I made 3 attempts to contact them to find out the decision. At that point a generic email came saying they will pursue an individual that more closely match their current needs. Many interview questions centered around hiring people and the use of behavior type questions.