Extra Space Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Extra Space Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2018

2.7

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space.

Interview

Typical interview process. You start off with a phone interview basically where they ask questions about previous experience and the "tell me about yourself" request. Then they continue by telling you their experience with the company and the company's history and a brief description of the job. Then you schedule the In Face interview and from their its an extremely typical interview

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space.

Interview

Phone interview.
    I was told that the Store Manager would be responsible for Cash Balancing , deposits, Accounts Receivable, Customer service and upsell boxes, locks, and other supplies. Fifty percent of the time would be walking and cleaning the property. Light maintenance, like changing lightbulbs, while heavier maintenance could be contracted out.

Interview Questions

• Did you know that the expected compensation for this position will be $10-14/hour?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Extra Space in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Had phone interview with district manager (who was chewing gum the entire conversation), Scheduled in person interview for the next day at 11am, got an email at 8am the day of my interview stating they were "pursuing other candidates". Had I not checked my email prior to the interview I would have wasted my time and showed up. Poor interview practice!!!!

Interview Questions

• If I've lived in my city all my life (weird question to ask)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Atlanta, GA) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online about three weeks ago from reading about the position on Glassdoor.
    Received a phone call from District Team Lead and had a brief phone interview with her. She goes over basics about the position including pay. I set up an interview time with her that worked around my previous job's schedule.
    I was emailed shortly after the call with an address and time for the interview.
    On the day of interview, it was more like a meet and greet with the District Team Lead. The whole process with her took about an hour because I was asking questions as well.
    *Advice - make sure you do research about Extra Space Storage, have I would say 3-5 questions ready to ask the interviewer, show interest in the role, smile often - these things build a good rapport with the interviewer.
    She asked a few STAR formatted (tell me about a time) questions and then after the interview she told me that she was very interested in me moving forward with the next step in the hiring process.
    The next step is an interview with the District Manager (this person makes the hiring decision). The District Team Lead that interviewed me was able to get me a same-day interview with the District Manager.
    The interview with the District Manager for me was again more like a meet and greet. He was a down-to-earth guy that I quickly was able to build a good rapport with. He didn't ask me questions from the traditional interview guide, but rather he wanted to know more about my personal career goals. He did ask me a couple of curve ball questions, but I knocked those out of the park. This was another 30-45 minute interview.
    After the interview was over, he extended me an offer at a location that is about 15 minutes away from me.
    The next step now is to accept the offer, send off the info for the background check and take a drug test!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a dissatisfied customer...how did you handle it and what was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current company?   2 Answers

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space (Irvine, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I received a phone call from the District lead, then I had an in person interview wit her, then I had a interview with the District Manager, then she sent me to meet a site manager. After all of that I receive an email stating that they are going with “other candidates”. My thing is why waste my time going to the site managers location for a “life of a site manager” tour if you are going to reject me? I feel that the district manager should have told me they weren’t going to hire me after our interview. I am over qualified for this position so I don’t understand why i got rejected. I even got a Pedictive Index assessment that I might add was very informative and made me look even better. So I’m so confused on why they didn’t hit me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?

Describe a time you dealt with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Storage Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Hillsboro, OR) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied and got a call for a interview and went there had the interview it wasn't anything like I expected it to be. I had almost 4 phone interviews the 2 in person interviews was lead on for nothing! The manager is a man that seemed as he was going to cry the whole time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Process took 2 weeks or so. I was called in to a location other than the one I was applying. The interviewer was not prepared for me, and was also running the place by themselves and answering calls.
    After the interview I was told how good a fit I would be and he was looking forward to working with me. I got a denial email before I even made it back home.
    If you're going to reject me, fine. Just don't lie to my face and get my hopes up.

Property Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Extra Space.

Interview

It was your standard corporate style questions. What is your strengths/ weaknesses and that sort of thing. She pretty much read them off a piece of paper, not much small talk or really personality.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fitting into a corporate setting?   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email asking for my availability within 1 day of applying. A skype interview was scheduled . It was a skype interview that lasted for less than 15 minutes. I felt the person I spoke to didn't ask questions to assess my ability for the role. I asked questions about the job post and he responded that was a question for the hiring manager or he wasn't sure. It was strange because as I was speaking he was looking off to the side of the screen entering his notes, I guess. He was sitting in a office with a headset. Why not a phone screen? The skype part isn't personable if you're looking at other things while the person is speaking. The position was actually remote and the job post didn't even say that. However, I was fine working remotely. It makes you wonder what else was wrong about that position. I'm not sure for the denial. I received an auto reject email stating great speaking with you but we decided to move forward with other candidates whose skills more closely..etc... The interview was very short . I knew right away, I wasn't moving forward based on the questions alone and his lack of not knowing certain things he should have, when I asked. It seems the most incompetent interviewers always create that type of experience with an unhappy ending for the candidate getting a declined email. Sometimes its the interviewer and not the candidate. Its unfortunate they hold the future for candidates to move forward.

Interview Questions

Interview

Interview experience was very positive. HR coordinated all interviews and were timely in responses. I started with a preliminary phone interview, then was called in for two more on site visits before being extended an offer.