Extra Space Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Extra Space Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2018

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Atlanta, GA) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online about three weeks ago from reading about the position on Glassdoor.
    Received a phone call from District Team Lead and had a brief phone interview with her. She goes over basics about the position including pay. I set up an interview time with her that worked around my previous job's schedule.
    I was emailed shortly after the call with an address and time for the interview.
    On the day of interview, it was more like a meet and greet with the District Team Lead. The whole process with her took about an hour because I was asking questions as well.
    *Advice - make sure you do research about Extra Space Storage, have I would say 3-5 questions ready to ask the interviewer, show interest in the role, smile often - these things build a good rapport with the interviewer.
    She asked a few STAR formatted (tell me about a time) questions and then after the interview she told me that she was very interested in me moving forward with the next step in the hiring process.
    The next step is an interview with the District Manager (this person makes the hiring decision). The District Team Lead that interviewed me was able to get me a same-day interview with the District Manager.
    The interview with the District Manager for me was again more like a meet and greet. He was a down-to-earth guy that I quickly was able to build a good rapport with. He didn't ask me questions from the traditional interview guide, but rather he wanted to know more about my personal career goals. He did ask me a couple of curve ball questions, but I knocked those out of the park. This was another 30-45 minute interview.
    After the interview was over, he extended me an offer at a location that is about 15 minutes away from me.
    The next step now is to accept the offer, send off the info for the background check and take a drug test!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a dissatisfied customer...how did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Process took 2 weeks or so. I was called in to a location other than the one I was applying. The interviewer was not prepared for me, and was also running the place by themselves and answering calls.
    After the interview I was told how good a fit I would be and he was looking forward to working with me. I got a denial email before I even made it back home.
    If you're going to reject me, fine. Just don't lie to my face and get my hopes up.

Property Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Extra Space.

Interview

It was your standard corporate style questions. What is your strengths/ weaknesses and that sort of thing. She pretty much read them off a piece of paper, not much small talk or really personality.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fitting into a corporate setting?   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email asking for my availability within 1 day of applying. A skype interview was scheduled . It was a skype interview that lasted for less than 15 minutes. I felt the person I spoke to didn't ask questions to assess my ability for the role. I asked questions about the job post and he responded that was a question for the hiring manager or he wasn't sure. It was strange because as I was speaking he was looking off to the side of the screen entering his notes, I guess. He was sitting in a office with a headset. Why not a phone screen? The skype part isn't personable if you're looking at other things while the person is speaking. The position was actually remote and the job post didn't even say that. However, I was fine working remotely. It makes you wonder what else was wrong about that position. I'm not sure for the denial. I received an auto reject email stating great speaking with you but we decided to move forward with other candidates whose skills more closely..etc... The interview was very short . I knew right away, I wasn't moving forward based on the questions alone and his lack of not knowing certain things he should have, when I asked. It seems the most incompetent interviewers always create that type of experience with an unhappy ending for the candidate getting a declined email. Sometimes its the interviewer and not the candidate. Its unfortunate they hold the future for candidates to move forward.

Interview Questions

Interview

Interview experience was very positive. HR coordinated all interviews and were timely in responses. I started with a preliminary phone interview, then was called in for two more on site visits before being extended an offer.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Extra Space (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2017.

Interview

Within a few days after I applied for the position, the interview process began with a 15 minute phone assessment delivered by the District Team Lead. She asked basic questions relating to prior professional experience and qualifications. This led to having an initial in-person interview with her being scheduled at her site. I went to her site and we met alone in the backroom for about 30 minutes and discussed questions related to past experiences (i.e. Have you ever encountered this situation? How did you handle it?) and she gave me a brief overview of what the job entailed. She was very happy with how the interview went and wanted to try and get me in front of the District Manager ASAP, the same day if possible, as he is the one who actually makes hiring decisions. She called him, but he wasn't available at the moment so I left thinking the interview would be scheduled for another day. As I was driving home, I received a call from the District Manager asking if I was still available to meet with him. I was, so I went to his office. He and I spoke for about another 30 minutes about my background and what my expectations for the job were and what I knew about the company/industry (come prepared for that...I did and it went far in giving that good impression that I was motivated to get the position). He and I then discussed pay rate and benefit options available and he described what the next steps in the process would like if the offer was extended. As I was driving home, he called me back and informed me that everything was good to go and welcome me aboard pending successful background check and drug screen. All in all, it was well planned process giving both parties involved check points to evaluate if they wanted to continue in the process to ensure that by the time the offer is made it is one that you both want to commit to.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever encountered a dissatisfied customer? What the situation and how did you bring it to a resolution?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever gone above and beyond to provide the best service possible to a customer?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Riverside, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

First was a phone interview that went pretty smooth. Great experience.
    Second was in person. Was quick to reject my application after the second interview, after stating they will let me know in a week.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to go over and beyond what is expected for a customer?   Answer Question

AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Extra Space (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Very nice and calm interview. No issues with how things were handled nor how I was handled. The interview was very thorough without being extra intrusive into my life, questions were just to make sure that I fit the work culture of extra space storage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Extra Space (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview came first with Store Manager. Very polite and quick. Set up face to face interview for following day. I arrived 15 minutes early to be greeted by the same Store Manger I was previously interviewed on the phone by. I then met with the District Manager who was very laid back and straight to the point. It was great energy from both the District Manager and Store Manager. Never felt any stress or pressure because it was a small office and very personal.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had a difficult customer and what did you do to fix the problem?   Answer Question
    • 3 things your last Manager or boss would say you need to work on, 3 things you are great at   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to adapt on the fly and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space (Miami, FL) in September 2017.

Interview

5 minute call with recruiter, then 5 minute webx video call with same recruiter for 5 minutes, same day. Terrible connection, and asked me 2 questions. I felt like the only reason for webx call was to see what I looked like. I was ruled out after really NO Interview questions with any substance. Very Unprofessional. I guess having experience is not what they are looking for...too old

Interview Questions

• Any experience with P&L's?
      What do you like about Managing people?   Answer Question