Extra Space Storage Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Extra Space Storage

2.6

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage in May 2019.

Interview

You do an assessment and then get a phone screen.
Then you interview with a District team lead.
Then you interview with a district manager (your prospective boss). There may be another DTL present during your second interview.
Then you do background and drug tests.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Extra Space Storage

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Midland, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

Good, informative and pleasant. Very professional and explained the tasks that I would be responsible for. It was not a long interview process at all. It actually excited me how upbeat and happy the employees seemed to be as I met some before my actual interview.

Interview Questions

• How could I benefit working at Extra Space Storage.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Bronx, NY).

Interview

I applied via the website. Got contacted about 10 days later by a location manager for a phone screen which is basically a phone interview. My interview was pretty brief and basically consisted in describing my current job and my duties there. She then just said ok and thanks and hung up. She called me within two hours to schedule an in person interview with her about 2 days later. I went and she liked me alot. She even told me so herself and that she would talk to her DM about me. She asked me about a time when there was a difficult situation with a customer and how did I handle it, my current job duties, what would you say to a customer if there is something they want that is against policy or you simply cant do that for them..questions like that. Typical interview questions. She then scheduled me for an in person interview with the District Manager two days later. This is when things started to go downhill and I was very displeased...

So I went to the interview with the DM and when I got there I was told to have a seat. There were two other people waiting there as well at the same time I was told to come in so it seems they gave all the candidates the same arrival time which isnt very good. Then a few minutes later another person came in. I had to wait 2 hours before I was seen. He made everyone wait a ridiculous amount of time when he couldve just set a wider margin between one interview time and the next. I found that to be very inconsiderate to everyone there. When I was finally seen he basically just proceeded to talk to me about the company and the duties the position would involve and asked me no questions whatsoever as to my job experience or my current job duties or to how I would contribute to the company or my sales experience. Therefore, I had no chance to show him what I can do and sell myself to him. He then proceeded to put me with a Store Associate which is not in a managerial position or qualified to make hiring decisions and told me to go with him and I would have to sell a unit to him. He told me not to worry too much about the sales pitch because he knew it wouldnt be spot on since most of the candidates havent really worked in storage before and that they offered training anyhow. The DM who interviewed me and is the one who makes the hiring decisions didnt come along with us and therefore didnt hear my sales pitch at all of how I would sell a unit to a potential customer. I found that to be absurd and unfair since the associate wasnt qualified to evaluate me. Then after I attempted to sell the unit to the associate and he walked me around the facility he told me that if anything the DM would call me. The whole interview and all the time I waited took 2 hours and in the end I was asked no relevant questions and the only relevant question that was asked was not even evaluated by the recruiter. The next day I received an automated email saying that they had decided to move on with candidates whose qualifications more closely matched what they were looking for.

Overall, I found the experience to be unprofessional, not carried out properly, and a complete waste of my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I'd been applying on line for months, without much response. Then I applied for an Assistant Manager position in my home town and was called a few hours later. Getting the actual interview took more time than usual, mostly because of phone tag. The manager that I interviewed with was very friendly and professional. She had appropriate and well thought out questions to determine my experience and capabilities as they related to the job duties. I thought I nailed the interview, everything went very well and the Manager said that I'd interview with the District Manager before the end of the week. But then, I never heard from the District Manager, when I called the Manager that I interviewed with, she was very evasive. Weird response, disappointing to say the least. I can only imagine that they'd offered the position to a more qualified candidate, but were hesitant to tell me that.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

A trainer in the district will conduct first interview. You will need to report to District manager for secondary interview. The questions are repeated at the interviews. The locations of the interviews are whatever is convenient for the management. You may need to travel. Answer the questions in the second interview exactly the same as the first.

Interview Questions

• What was every job youve held and for how long? Without looking at your resume.   1 Answer
    • How comfortable are you in making decisions regarding customer account issues or complaints?   1 Answer
    • If youre working by yourself and you have 5 auctions to prepare, 6 units to clean and 3 reservations to rent to, what takes priority?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage in July 2015.

Interview

I was called in for an interview the day after applying online. Everything seemed to have gone well, and the interviewer told me that I would meet the DM the following week. Well, that never happened. A few days after the interview, I received the "we don't want you" email.

I suspect it has much to do with the fact that they obviously GOOGLED my name, and found erroneous information regarding a different individual. The interviewer asked many questions about things he had read about "me" online that weren't even factual. Nevertheless, the interview went okay and I was told I was meeting the DM. I was flat out lied to, and I don't appreciate it.

Anonymous Employee in Hammonton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Hammonton, NJ) in June 2011.

Interview

Interview was with District Manager in training and Site Manager. Very relaxed interview environment. Took place at the site where the available job was located. Standard interview questions. The District manager did ask me to demonstrate up selling skills by selling him on a pen. Feedback from the interviewers was given pretty quickly.

Interview Questions

• District manager asked me to demonstrate selling a pen as if he was a customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I felt the interview was very fair and I felt very comfortable. Asked a list of questions per company policy. The first interview was a telephone screen interview. After a few minutes of answering basic background questions, I was asked to interview in person. The interview was very professional and sincere. Then, another interview with the District Manager. I must say I was treated with the utmost respect and the questions were per the company process. I had quite a few questions and I believe the answers were genuine and realistic, nothing was sugar-coated but pretty straightforward and I appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself three years from now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fair and respectful.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage.

Interview

Asks a variety of questions, showed me the property and how it works, showed me a storage and some tools that will be needed, leaf blower, paint, etc. there was three different people in the interview. They were nice though. When I went in they did greet me but I did have to wait for them to get ready for me.

Interview Questions

• What is work culture? what is customer service? In previous experience how did you work things out with a customer complaint and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Extra Space Storage (Tampa, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

Very simple interview with a store manager and Regional Manager. All of the questions were pretty basic, asked about past experience and willingness to do associated tasks. Asked about preferred hours, etc. They were looking for someone who had good customer facing skills, as well as the ability to be organized and manage an office type environment. They also require employees to do light manual labor, so they asked a number of questions about my willingness and ability to clean, do basic maintenance, etc.

Interview Questions

• Asked about past work Experience. Asked about preferred hours and tasks. Also asked about willingness to relocate and desires to move up within the organization.   Answer Question