ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

3.2

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

ask your competency question based on your resume. they will ask you anything that is shown on your CV and based on those to ask your some hard questions. the whole interview lasts about 20 min, and at end of question, they will ask you what you want to know about them.

Interview Questions

• tell me one time you persuade some one successfully?   1 Answer

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Firstly, online application (including CV and cover letter) and then few tests.
    Next was a competency based Skype interview.
    After that is the EMEC event, which included further selection stages including an interview.
    I failed at competency based Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time where you weighed pros and cons and decided not to take action despite pressure to do so?   Answer Question
    • Greatest obstacle?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you dealt with a team member of poor performance?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

1. Upload CV onto website, fill in quick online form and take numerical test.
    2. If you pass the test and fulfill their criteria, they'll contact you to set up a Skype Interview which is purely competency based.
    3. If you pass that, then there's a face-to-face interview in Southampton.
    4. Finally, there's an assessment center.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to analyse numerical data.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview

Was given a phone interview that lasted over an hour, because ExxonMobil doesn't recruit through my school. Given many behavior-based questions, so be prepared to give a lot of examples. I had about 10 examples prepared, but I ran out, so I would suggest 20+. The interview was scripted and the interviewer wrote down my responses as I spoke.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you worked on a team. What was your role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's career services then heard back that I received an offer. Only one person interviewd me and she was furiously writing the entire time which made it difficult to create a connection. MANY behavioral questions. It got to a point where it seemed like I was being asked the same question over and over so have a lot of examples ready in the back of your mind!

Interview Questions

• leadership, group work, etc. typical stuff just a large volume   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Went to a career fair my university hosted and gave them my resume. I applied on the career center website and the ExxonMobil website. I got an interview 2 weeks later. The interview was pleasant but I had an ominous feeling about it as soon as I walked in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were promised a resource and did not get it. How did you continue the project without the resource?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions

• I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Skype interview after online numeracy and personality test. Competency based questions such as 'give an example of a time when...' Followed by why do you want to work at exxon.

Interview Questions

• Example of a time you led a team through a difficult task.   Answer Question