ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

1. Upload CV onto website, fill in quick online form and take numerical test.
    2. If you pass the test and fulfill their criteria, they'll contact you to set up a Skype Interview which is purely competency based.
    3. If you pass that, then there's a face-to-face interview in Southampton.
    4. Finally, there's an assessment center.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to analyse numerical data.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview

Was given a phone interview that lasted over an hour, because ExxonMobil doesn't recruit through my school. Given many behavior-based questions, so be prepared to give a lot of examples. I had about 10 examples prepared, but I ran out, so I would suggest 20+. The interview was scripted and the interviewer wrote down my responses as I spoke.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you worked on a team. What was your role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's career services then heard back that I received an offer. Only one person interviewd me and she was furiously writing the entire time which made it difficult to create a connection. MANY behavioral questions. It got to a point where it seemed like I was being asked the same question over and over so have a lot of examples ready in the back of your mind!

Interview Questions

• leadership, group work, etc. typical stuff just a large volume   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Went to a career fair my university hosted and gave them my resume. I applied on the career center website and the ExxonMobil website. I got an interview 2 weeks later. The interview was pleasant but I had an ominous feeling about it as soon as I walked in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were promised a resource and did not get it. How did you continue the project without the resource?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions

• I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The recruitment process consists of 4 different stages: online application, online test(numerical), Skype interview then a final interview at the Fawley site.

I successfully completed the online application and online test and was invited to a Skype interview two weeks later.

The evening before my Skype interview around 11pm, I was informed that my Skype time had been moved around due to logistical errors, I was fine with this.

I completed the Skype interview and was told they would get back to me within a few weeks. I thought the interview went well.

After 5 weeks and receiving no feedback on how the Skype interview, I sent an email to the recruitment team asking for an update on my application. I didn't receive a reply to my email.

I sent a second email two weeks later with no reply and a third email a week after the second email , to which they finally replied with a message that there had been no update to my application.

Out of curiosity, I checked my online portal to find that my application status had been changed to 'Withdrawn Application' ,even though I had not withdrawn my application, it seemed a little peculiar.

After 15 weeks from the time of my Skype interview, I sent a final email requesting feedback (bearing in mind that I had started to receive final interview offers from other companies), less then 24 hours later I received an automated email saying that my application had been unsuccessful. I checked my online application status and it had changed to 'No Longer in Consideration for this Position'.

When compared to the recruitment process of other companies in the same industry, I feel that Exxon Mobil could treat their potential employees with a little bit more respect in regards to reasonable updates on applications, and constant communication with HR, considering that they are in the Times Top 100 for graduate employees.

Interview Questions

• Why Exxon Mobil?
      Give an example of when you had to give somebody feedback?
      What is the greatest challenge you have had to face?
      Give an example of a time in a project when you had a change in direction?
      Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

Offered a face to face interview after being successful at the energy challenge on an EMEC day. I was interviewed by two very friendly employees working in different sectors of the company who put me at ease although some challenging questions were asked. The interview lasted for approximately 45 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Columbus, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour long campus interview during a career fair at the university. They first had an information session which was very helpful for undergrad students, but not very helpful for grad students.