ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

3.2

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in October 2016.

Interview

Most smooth interview process.
interview with 2 person via Skype and once with KL manager, then free lunch. all in one day.
if you are selected for interview, most likely they want you. they just want to see you in person.

Interview Questions

• basic general soft skill question.
    not too technical   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The recruitment process consists of 4 different stages: online application, online test(numerical), Skype interview then a final interview at the Fawley site.

I successfully completed the online application and online test and was invited to a Skype interview two weeks later.

The evening before my Skype interview around 11pm, I was informed that my Skype time had been moved around due to logistical errors, I was fine with this.

I completed the Skype interview and was told they would get back to me within a few weeks. I thought the interview went well.

After 5 weeks and receiving no feedback on how the Skype interview, I sent an email to the recruitment team asking for an update on my application. I didn't receive a reply to my email.

I sent a second email two weeks later with no reply and a third email a week after the second email , to which they finally replied with a message that there had been no update to my application.

Out of curiosity, I checked my online portal to find that my application status had been changed to 'Withdrawn Application' ,even though I had not withdrawn my application, it seemed a little peculiar.

After 15 weeks from the time of my Skype interview, I sent a final email requesting feedback (bearing in mind that I had started to receive final interview offers from other companies), less then 24 hours later I received an automated email saying that my application had been unsuccessful. I checked my online application status and it had changed to 'No Longer in Consideration for this Position'.

When compared to the recruitment process of other companies in the same industry, I feel that Exxon Mobil could treat their potential employees with a little bit more respect in regards to reasonable updates on applications, and constant communication with HR, considering that they are in the Times Top 100 for graduate employees.

Interview Questions

• Why Exxon Mobil?
      Give an example of when you had to give somebody feedback?
      What is the greatest challenge you have had to face?
      Give an example of a time in a project when you had a change in direction?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

Offered a face to face interview after being successful at the energy challenge on an EMEC day. I was interviewed by two very friendly employees working in different sectors of the company who put me at ease although some challenging questions were asked. The interview lasted for approximately 45 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Columbus, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour long campus interview during a career fair at the university. They first had an information session which was very helpful for undergrad students, but not very helpful for grad students.

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Met campus recruiter; interviewed the next week by people from HR on campus. Overall a good experience but the competition was great and the internships few. I didn't get an offer but they said I was very close to moving on to the next round. The next round would have been a phone interview with an HR person from the plant I would be working at.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle solving a problem where the solution was not immediately obvious to you.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2016.

Interview

I applied in October. Three days after, I was given a numerical test to complete. I passed and was told me profile would be reviewed for further progression. They liked my profile and I was scheduled for a Skype interview in early November. It consisted of competency questions (give a time where...) and also why I chose the graduate scheme.

Interview Questions

• Give a time where you weighed the pros and cons of a situation, and decided to not take action.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Went to fawley for face to face interview after cv application. Will offer summer internship if passed. Focus heavily on safety. Prepare competency based questions, why you want to work in oil and gas.

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting.
    Received an email saying I was selected for an interview.
    Interview was 45 minutes long. Questions were both behavioral and technical.
    Recruiter was really friendly and provided feedback at the end of the interview.
    He pointed out what I was good at and what I could improve, and described the next steps such as sending my resume and info to head quarter and said I might be called by different locations.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a distillation column if the components being fed to the column are not known?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Went to EMEC 2016 and selected for a skype interview for Fife. Email said it would be 30 minutes but was told just before the interview that it would be 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Started off with a simple icebreaker from CV. ( where did you travel over the summer )
      A time when you analysed numerical data?
      What did you look for when searching for companies to apply to?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2015.

Interview

Not too terrible but I do get nervous easily. They are one on one, well the one I had. For the most part it's the typical behavioral based questions. Make sure to shake the interviewer's hand like you mean it.