ExxonMobil Interview Questions in Clinton, NJ | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions in Clinton, NJ

Updated Feb 12, 2017

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in December 2014.

Interview

First pre-screen interview with hiring manager and more senior research member in area position was for. Invited for full day in-person interview which consisted of meeting HR to discuss details about working at company (benefits, etc.), followed by a technical seminar with members from the department that were free to join in the morning, and then one-on-one interviews with 5 senior department/group people with an individual one-on-one interview with the hiring manager and a final one-on-one with their manager (department head). Lunch was provided complimentary at their campus cafeteria on day of interview along with small breakfast and dinner the previous night with free lodging given even though I was only about 1.5 hour drive away (interview morning begins early - 7-7:30am).

Interview Questions

• Most challenging experience faced in past work experience, why, and what did you learn/gain?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview with presentation. Phone interview was very strict on timing. I described my work (previous research) using several prepared slides. Then they asked questions (panel of 3 people). Was a bit difficult to hear. In-person interview consisted of a presentation of my previous work to everyone in group followed by a day of one-on-one talks with everyone in the group. Also visited HR to learn about benefits.

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in August 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was through phone interview. Phone interview was quite technical and a team interview. Questions ranged from describing past and current work and examples of technical execution and team work.

I had my on-site visit within a month and was asked to give a 1 hour technical seminar. The hiring manager invited me for dinner the night before and described the company culture and what they were looking for. The technical seminar was followed by 8, 45 minute interviews. I had an opportunity to meet both early-career and experienced researchers and some managers. Everyone was technically sound and the facility had state-of-the-art lab/pilot equipment. Questions ranged from fundamentals discussion to program management, future technology growth areas and my career interests.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were straight forward. One unexpected question was why I didn't pursue a career in academia and why industrial research?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I was applying for an experienced position, I did negotiate. The discussion with the manager was very straight-forward and I was kept at ease. The manager did check about my request but told that the salary was firm. ExxonMobil hires for life and there will be further growth opportunities once one joins.

I would suggest looking at the complete benefits package including base salary, health insurance, 401(K) company match, pension, bonus, stock options and other intangibles like growth opportunities and work environment. Do your research and understand and appreciate what you bring to the table. Have a minimum and maximum salary range in mind.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.

Advanced Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in November 2013.

Interview

Presentation followed by 8 one-on-one's. Good interview approach and vetting. Tough but not unreasonable questions. The audience was much more engaged than what I was used to in grad school. People at Exxonmobil do not just show up to a presentation to let the words wash over them - they ask questions and make sure they understand.