ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2017

81 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was a 30 minute Skype interview. The interviewer was pleasant and very friendly. It was competency based. She shocked me by asking me to give her a time when I had to analyse financial data. I was told the interview was purely based on my skills and background.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time of when you made a bad decision and stuck with it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

I went to an on campus information session and then spoke to a recruiter at the career fair. I was contacted for an interview a few days later. The interview was behavioral based, but my interviewer wanted very specific information and numbers for each answer. Overall, my interactions with ExxonMobil were pleasant and I would apply again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to decide between two conflicting sources of data   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2015.

Interview

Interview focused on behavioral questions involving problem solving, relationships, and other resume related topics. A lot of questions on overcoming adversity. Interview was very structured with little opportunity to expand on personal job qualities outside the strict questions. Overall a good interview, however, it felt rather intimidating even for a highly qualified candidates.

Interview Questions

• When working with a difficult person, how have you resolved an issue when you don't see eye to eye?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On site interview at college. Consisted of one - on - one interview with recruiter. Standard interview questions focusing for a short time on resume. The interview then focused on school courses and began with the standard set of interview questions. There was a portion of the interview where the recruiter described some of the typical work and offered time to answer any specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used engineering skills to solve a difficult technical problem.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied with campus recruiting and had an on-campus interview. The interview was lengthy, about an hour long, and consisted mostly of behavioral questions and elaborating on things listed in my resume. I heard back from them in about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• No question was excessively difficult, it is useful to know the S.T.A.R. method for approaching the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions

• During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2011.

Interview

The interviewer went through my resume and asked behavior questions. The questions are common questions, like describe a difficult situation when you had problems in a team. The interviewer also give you hints when you have difficulty or not answer the way you are expected. Also asked to describe your research but was not asked in details.

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2009.

Interview

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for me.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in June 2009.

Interview

Behavioral based interview - describe a time when you had to deal with X. How did you evaluate the issues about X and what was the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult time working on a team. How did you deal with it, and how did it resolve out?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Set a high standard for yourself. It's not about what you're getting paid now -- it's what is the value to them for what you can deliver.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

EM had an info session, first interview was at my uni, one-on-one consisting of mostly behavioural questions. 2nd interview was with HR Recruiter, mostly discussion of resume. The third and fourth interviews were with specific people in the department. The third interview was very informal, general. The fourth interview was the toughest with harder behavioural questions. Once done, the recruiter called to inform me of my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed to succeed at something, and how you coped with it.   1 Answer