ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 17, 2017

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Online application and online test followed by phone interview (competency based). The interview was relaxing and I really enjoyed it. I passed my phone interview but did not get notification for face to face final stage interview due to the fully filled internship positions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On campus interview, standard hour long STAR grilling. Phone interview, then onsite interview at refinery. Night before is informal dinner with engineers who recently started. Next day is for real. At least 4 45 min interviews, 3 technical, one with department head. They thoroughly vet your technical skills, project leadership experience, and overall personality type. More STAR questions thrown in. It seems to me that they are looking for type A, power driven people. Know first of all that it's a manufacturing business, then a business environment, with a little engineering thrown in.
    Honestly, I didn't meet one stereotypical nerd/geek the whole day. Engineers there don't stay engineers for long. Most move on to leadership roles or business roles.

A good tip would be to have your projected career on your mind. Decide if you want technical track, management track, or business track. Stick to that the whole day. The interviewers meet at the end of the day before you go into the boss man final interview and hash you out. Above all, know yourself. If you aren't the kind of person who will fit into an environment of constant competition for your whole career, they will find out, and fast. Employees are constantly ranked versus each other on a tiered scale, with the bottom half of the tier needing remediation. It's not for the faint of heart or those who "just want to be an engineer".

All that being said, the people were pretty great. Top notch guys from MIT and all the big schools. They really get the best of the best. If that's you, and you can also deal with living in the relative crapholes these places are located in, the money is insane for someone right out of school, and the benefits sounded pretty good.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were leading a team on a project with multiple solutions. How did you come up with a strategy and create buy-in in your group?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied with campus recruiting and had an on-campus interview. The interview was lengthy, about an hour long, and consisted mostly of behavioral questions and elaborating on things listed in my resume. I heard back from them in about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• No question was excessively difficult, it is useful to know the S.T.A.R. method for approaching the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

college recruitment.and Interview on campus. They only asked 4 or 5 easy behavioral questions total. The ecruiter took notes while I answered them, She smiled a lot and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions. Really easy questions...tell me about a time when   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Fairfax, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

All behavioral questions. One 1 hour on campus interview, then one onsite interview with three 50 minute interviews with different managers. Found out I got the job a few weeks later and was given two days to make a decision. Had to accept position without knowing what the job would be or where it would be.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you invented something. Tell me about a time you did not meet set expectations.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Contact them in a career fair on campus in Sep 23, be told to attend the interview next week. The interview is all about behavior question. And also the recruiter wish to know how you will deal with challenge problem and how you cooperate with different people. The interview lasts about 1 hour. I was told that there may be a call for an onsite visit if I pass this round. Last week, I get an email that I have entered the reference system but no further information right now

Application

Interview

Originated at career fair. Was told that if I was chosen for an interview I would receive an email THAT NIGHT in which I would be given further instructions about attending their info sessions the next day. At the end of the info session they gave everyone their interview dates, times, and interviewer name. The interview was on campus. Standard behavioral type questions with a couple 'getting to know you' questions thrown in. If you prepare, it's not difficult. Was told at the end of that interview that I would receive an email in a week or so that let me know I made it to the second round or not. If so, it would be a phone interview. I'm still waiting on the email as of now.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had difficulty getting someone in your group to do as you asked.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I initially spoke with them at a university career fair. They tell you upfront that relocation to Texas is probably required, but I told the recruiters that I was definitely open to travel, so I applied online and was invited to interview a few days later. My first interview was held on campus, and should I be selected for the next round, I would interview with a specific site leading to the final round of all day interviews. The guy who interviewed me was clearly exhausted but still friendly.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a time you worked in a group and your team members were not contributing and how you personally handled that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Blacksburg, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Viriginia Tech's College of Engineering hosts an annual Engineering Expo (Career Fair). I decided to go very early on the second and last day of the career fair and was able to walk to the front of what is a traditionally long line. Having talked to the company rep about my applicable experiences, the department I would like to work with and about the company culture and openings available I was advised to immediately register on the companies web portal of the career fair. Later that day I was asked to attend a closed company info session addressing alumni graduates experiences, the company structure, the application process and answering applicant questions. The next day was a one on one interview scheduled through the event portal. They responded a week later with their decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe an opportunity where you went above and beyond the call of duty to grow an organisation you were involved in? Talk about the specific tools/methods you used, the results and what you learned.   Answer Question
    • Describe an experience in which you had to resolve a problem whilst working on a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your background and ambitions and how those align with Exxon's future growth. Address the specific unit you intend to work with.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied through university career center and met them at school job fair. Was invited to an info session weekend before interviews. Interview was not hard-behavioral. When they ask you a question make sure you tell them what your role was in the process and what the outcome was.