ExxonMobil Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Blacksburg, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Viriginia Tech's College of Engineering hosts an annual Engineering Expo (Career Fair). I decided to go very early on the second and last day of the career fair and was able to walk to the front of what is a traditionally long line. Having talked to the company rep about my applicable experiences, the department I would like to work with and about the company culture and openings available I was advised to immediately register on the companies web portal of the career fair. Later that day I was asked to attend a closed company info session addressing alumni graduates experiences, the company structure, the application process and answering applicant questions. The next day was a one on one interview scheduled through the event portal. They responded a week later with their decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe an opportunity where you went above and beyond the call of duty to grow an organisation you were involved in? Talk about the specific tools/methods you used, the results and what you learned.   Answer Question
  • Describe an experience in which you had to resolve a problem whilst working on a team?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about your background and ambitions and how those align with Exxon's future growth. Address the specific unit you intend to work with.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Interview

I came on to Exxon straight out of college. The interview process for college grads comes in three steps. The first is the initial screening of the resume. You can have to apply online, but going to the career fairs and knowing someone in the company that's hiring at the time helps so much.The initial interview is purely to see if you would be a good fit in Exxon or not. If you pass this round you get placed in an Exxon hiring database and individual Exxon departments (they call them "companies") can select you for their interview process, which usually consists of flying you out to one of their locations for an in-person interview (I had three interviewers, all behavioral questions). Overall, the process was extremely satisfying. Exxon has a lot of money to throw around, and they really treat you well during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions

• Again, none of the questions I was given were technical; they were all behavioral. The most unexpected question that I had was "How do you persuade someone to do what you want or agree with your idea". I found the question difficult mostly because it is really easy to come off as manipulative and not a team player when answering this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rolla, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Rolla, MO) in September 2014.

Interview

Very friendly interviewer. She told me a lot about what she does at Exxon, and even her involvement in the community. After introducing herself, she asked a variety of questions. Most seemed to be related to teamwork and conflicts. It seemed very easy to talk to her because it was very personal and relaxed.

Application

Interview

I applied through my schools career website before the career fair. I was given the opportunity to sign up for an interview and did so. At the end of the interview, which was all standard behavioral, the interviewer said in 3 or 4 weeks I might hear from a Site Coordinator about a further phone call.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you can do convince someone or a team to go with your idea.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions

• During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineer Interview

Interview

Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Berkeley, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Set up through my campus. Met the recruiter at the career fair and info session that night. Whole process took about a week to set up the interview. It was 45 minutes long with mostly behavioral type questions. Fairly standard interview. I made the mistake of portraying myself as a team-player rather than leader. It was with one recruiter and there weren't any surprise questions.

It was a rather pleasant experience as far as interviews go.

Interview Questions

• Is there any skill that you possess that we have not talked about yet?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I was applying for an internship. I had an on campus interview where the guy seemed very disinterested in what I had to say and asked me the same question twice. Obviously he did not care about the interview and I got a job based off my resume.

Interview Questions

• They had standard questions - Tell us about a time when you worked in a group. Tell me about a time when something didnt go right   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Did not have hard interviews, until it was the last interview. Already had experience in the position they were looking for. They want leaders and people who will help the company grow in the direction of leadership (i.e. against all competitors).
    Had a friendly recruiter and they took us out to dinner before the main on-campus interview.
    No presentations either.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you did not get your way and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question