ExxonMobil Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Financial Analyst Interview Questions

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

interview process was routine - staff was very friendly and helpful. There were several rounds of interviews with different personnel. Interview was focused on typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time you had to show leadership..etc)

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

I had a initial, behavioral interview with two Exxon recruiters on campus right after my school's career fair. They will ask you to use the STAR method to answer their questions, so definitely familiarize yourself with that prior to the interview.

Overall, the questions were straightforward, nothing tricky, but be prepared to elaborate on your experiences and answer multiple follow up questions. My interview lasted around 45-50 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

MBA interviews are entirely behavioral with a heavy emphasis on cultural fit. ExxonMobil is looking for intelligent, driven, creative, hardworking, teamwork-oriented people. First round is typically on campus or at a career fair. The second interview will be on site in Houston. Response was very quick, only two to thee days.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you displayed leadership behavior/teamwork/data analysis skills   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in December 2015.

Interview

The recruiters did not read much of my cv before my final round interview and were reading while asking template questions.
    Most questions in the final round were about the descriptions of what I have done in a particular course, internship. Those questions applies to everyone and did not feel being valued.
    No questions related to how much I know about the company nor the industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the group work in this course. Tell me what you have done at this internship. What is your hobby. What questions do you want to ask us.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Standard post - MBA finance process, standard corp fin questions, checking your motivation, basic knowledge of the industry, etc. Could be more specific if being hired for a specific process. Helps a lot to have a personal connection into the company.

Interview Questions

• CAPM model - standard questions, all in line with Corp Fin Theory   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, second round is an office visit. You meet a lot of people, all of which are very friendly. They love talking about their experience. Have questions ready for them.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

There were 3 interviews and the process took around 2 months. The first 2 were with a third party company that provided the psychological & health test, also the english proficiency tests. After initial assessment from them the passing candidates are contacted by ExxonMobil Human Resources for an interview.

For the final interview I went to the EM offices for which 2 employees (usually supervisors) assess you during a 45 minute interview with 5 core questions: 5 minutes of icebreaker, 30 to ask 5 questions and make notes on your answers and actions and 10 final minutes for wrap up and questions the candidate may have. If you ask any question they will make a note about it.

Candidates are assessed based on: 1) Job Fit 2) Analytical capability 3) Initiating action 4) interpersonal effectiveness 5) drive and perseverance 6) computer skills 7) communication skills (these are based on how you express yourself throughout the interview)

Job Fit: the questions depends on weather you have experience or not (the question will be based on work or on school) they will ask to know about current work experience in accounting and to describe what satisfies your (or not) about it. They will also ask about following process and procedures (EM is all about process & procedures, very burocratic company). Use the words like, enjoy & satisfying. Avoid using the word hate.

Analytical Capability: they will ask to describe a situation when you had to analyze complex financial information to solve a problem (like variances a cost center). Also they may ask about a new procedure or idea implemented by you. Explain the alternatives in both cases and how you decided which was the right action. It's a good idea to mention how you involved or reached to others so as to show you are a team player.

Initiating Action: they will ask to describe a situation when you identified a problem or opportunity and describe how you took action for it and the outcome. They will ask whom you involved and why you decided to act on it.

Interpersonal effectiveness: here they will check how you work with others and how you react to difficult people. They will ask how you would influence or motivate a co worker that is not cooperative, what was the issue and what did you do to obtain a positive outcome. Why was the person difficult? how did you choose the best approach? They will use this to see you ability to build relationships.

Drive and perseverance; they will ask to describe a time when you had to prioritize different tasks in order to meet a deadline. What was the situation, how you acted and the outcome. What criteria did you use to set the priority criteria, how did you feel with the pressure to meet your goals with little time, strategies used to meat your goals and what did you do if you could not meet them. Show positive attitude and ability to prioritize. Also how you involved other people that was affected by it.

Computer skills: describe a challenge you had with a business problem using excel. What features did you use? mention pivot tables, v look up, concatenate, sum, graphs, text to columns, filters, sort, subtotals. Mention if you imported / exported information. If you developed a macro in excel. Mention using other applications like access or powerpoint. If you have experience with SAP this is a good moment to mention that.

Communication skills: there is no question here, but the interviewers are listening to how you communicate yourself, how you enunciate, how you articulate, if your answers are clear and concise, if you are confident or get stuck .Try to be warm when you talk, do not be to loud or strong. You can use humor and definately give examples.
    If you get stuck with a word (maybe techincal word) you can explain the meaning so the interviewers can tell it to you (they like that) Be carefull with your grammar, do not be arrogant or unprofessional.

After you are contacted and offered a job there´s a drug and alcohol test.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult or unexpected, but they did ask what do I know about the company, Research a little about EM, do not go without any knowledge on the company other than they sell gas.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They did not provided room to negotiation. Take it or leave it offer. There´s a drug and alcohol test after an offer is made and accepted.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Leatherhead, England (UK)).

Interview

Online numerical test, 20 questions in 20 minutes. Then a bog standard HR telephone interview a few weeks after. Normal competencies asked, the interview only lasted 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Take a look at any competency interview, all questions are usually the same.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2008.

Interview

Simple behavior based interview. 3 people, each tasked to ascertain one component. Leadership, Analytical Skills, and Drive/Flexibility. Have multiple examples in mind for each of the above. Internet research will provide loads of behavior based interview example questions. Try to mention safety. Focus on your contribution. Use the situation, issues, action model.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you showed leaderhip when a project had gone wrong.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not negotiate. Any concessions are superficial and will only be eroded by the normal system. You are better off negotiating on start date or preferred first assignment content. Seek early international exposure, even if you are doing it from Houston. Ensure that you are prepared to commit lots of time and effort in first year - this is critical to long term success in the company. Good people get good jobs get good reviews, and the cycle continues.

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Fairfax, VA) in October 2009.

Interview

Applied online, had first interview on campus, one on one. Normal behavior questions: "tell me about a time when..." Interviewer was looking for a "Go-getter" who would be a good leader.
    Two weeks after first interview, flew to Fairfax, interviewed on site. Dinner the night before with other recruits and senior execs, mingling, chit chat environment. Next day consisted of a presentation to the recruits about ExxonMobil, then three one on one interviews with three senior execs. Focus was on demonstrated analysis experience and leadership roles.
    Got offer within 24 hours of second interview. Had three weeks to accept.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of how you've used analysis to solve a problem   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in the energy industry?   Answer Question
    • Do you think it is best for oil to be priced high or low?   Answer Question

Negotiation

ExxonMobil does not negotiate salary, they feel that the offer they give is fair and may be offended if you try to negotiate. Possible other areas of negotiation are vacation days/relocation, but I didn't try to negotiate this.