ExxonMobil Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Internship Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.8

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was through campus recruiting. Then had a business line interview over the phone and a third interview with an employee in the department also over the phone. You have to have strong grades, exhibit leadership qualities, and be confident in yourself. Interviews are more behavioral based, and they're logic is that they'll teach you the ExxonMobil ways of accomplishing your tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with adversity on a team, and how you mitigated that problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As an intern, negotiating wouldn't have been smart. I was thankful for the opportunity, and the pay leaves little more to be desired.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Interview

I did not have any in-person contact with the interviews before the interview date. I was emailed about 10 days prior to the interview and told to pick a timeslot on my college career website. I just picked the time and it was approved. I showed up and participated in the 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Why shouldn't you work for us? Why would you be bad for the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (El Paso, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview took place at my University (UTEP) at the student union center. A current employee greeted me and took attendance of other students coming in to interview. While waiting she tried starting conversation with myself and the other students. Most of the questions had to do with her position and her past experiences.
    TIP:
    I took this first encounter as a pre interview so I was sure not to engage into mundane or complex conversation. I kept my words minimal but very engaging. Example: so how was your senior year (since she was an alumni). This seem to have work well since every time someone else would try to converse with her she would continue on with that conversation with me instead of the person who began it.

When my interviewer was ready we went into a small (very small) room with a very small table with her chair and my chair directly across from one another. ( akward at first but I was slightly prepared since my communications teacher said that situation could happen). After all introductions were made she began to explain how the interview would go and that to expect any type of question at any time. Then disaster struck due to the actions of the university career center since they gave her a very outdated resume.
    TIP:
    HAVE AN EXTRA RESUME OR ANY INFORMATION DOCUMENT IN HAND I was already prepared and had my current resume with me but be sure to do the Sam as well but let them ask if they want it in my case she needed it.

After I cleared up the confusion we had a laugh (seeing how the old resume had my experience making pizzas) and that mishap was a good icebreaker for the interview to start. She had documents with questions that focused and the kind of person I am and my behavioral tendencies.
    TIP:
    Know before hand times where you made good decisions bad decisions, how you resolved conflict with others etc be sure to put in details that show how your thought process went and paraphrase technical parts ( as you may not be interviewing with someone in a similar field in my case she was civil engineering and I am electrical) but stress the positive even with the questions that focus on your negative aspects.

The answers I gave were put into three sections, she made it clear that the best section to be categorized in was the star section meaning a very satisfactory response. And the other two were for moderate and not satisfactory. This may help to ease any anxiety you might have when you see them writing things down. After jumping back and forth throuhgh questions she had asked me if I had any questions for her.

TIP 1: if you interview and you reached this point and you had skipped a question they asked this is the time to go back to be sure you earn another star. This happened to me so this is what I did and i threw in a brief explanation of the type of person I am.

TIP 2: if you didn't skip any questions then be sure you have done your homework and know some questions to the job that your interested in depending on the which field your interviewer is in be sure to have technical and non- technical questions in mind if you still draw a blank just ask about the diference between upstream and downstream.

Interview Questions

• What was a bad decision you made   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when someone refused to listen to you and how you resolved the matter.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The process is fairly pleasant, which is an approximately one-hour one-on-one interview. After the interview, your material will be sent back to the offices to see if there is a matched team. If not matching the area they are seeking people for, then most likely no offer. But the interview process is overall pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Part I: Describe/elaborate some of the experiences listed on your resume.
      Part II: Behavioral questions, e.g. what is your strengths/weaknesses, what is the greatest achievements/failure, etc.
      Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

over skype. the questions are standard question like what motivates you to work for exxon mobil, what are there priorities you look for when looking for internships etc. as an international student they asked me why i choose to study in UK and waht i do to adpat to differnet environment. nothing out of the norm. it was quite about 20 mins over skype.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Gainesville, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was invited to an informational session via campus recruitment. They went over the various functions within the company and had hiring managers/engineers from each department stand up and speak. I had a 45-minute behavioral interview the next day. Overall, it was professional yet casual in discussion.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you overcame an obstacle.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you had to make a quickly-approaching deadline.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Melbourne (Australia)) in August 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of face to face interviews, each is with you and 2 engineers from the company. Lots of behavioural questions. I applied in July (I think, can't quite remember) got the offer around August.

The internship was a really good experience. Scope of work is big, but manageable for the 3 month period, pay is very good, there is support available and people are very willing to help. They gave me an interesting project and the people there are good to work with.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with a morally challenging situation   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview took about 30minutes. My interviewer was conducted by my would-be supervisor. Interviewer was nice, briefly explained the internship program and my future job scope.
    Questions asked mostly about previous experience related to the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how has your previous experience prepared you for this job   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I was selected for an interview through our campus career fair. The interview took about 45 minutes. Most of the questions were behavioral/leadership. You can find prepare yourself beforehand by reviewing the behavorial questions from many big companies (Boeing, Microsoft, etc..). After a week I was informed that I have passed the first round of interviews and my application is forwarded to different offices in Exxon having internship positions. I did not hear back for a couple of months. I emailed them to follow up and they said they did not find a match to my background (computational biophysics/biochemistry)