ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

459 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone interview; a few in-office interviews. I felt like the company is very professional and very accommodating and I had a great experience. They don't try to trip you up, but make you feel very comfortable.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Newark, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

I gave a 1h technical seminar for approximately 30 research scientists and answered technical questions they had during and after the talk. This was followed by nine 30 min one on one interviews/ discussions with some of the team members as well as a lab tour at the end of the day.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The process is fairly pleasant, which is an approximately one-hour one-on-one interview. After the interview, your material will be sent back to the offices to see if there is a matched team. If not matching the area they are seeking people for, then most likely no offer. But the interview process is overall pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Part I: Describe/elaborate some of the experiences listed on your resume.
      Part II: Behavioral questions, e.g. what is your strengths/weaknesses, what is the greatest achievements/failure, etc.   Answer Question

Income Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

My on campus interview with ExxonMobil went better than I expected. My interview was an hour long. They split it between 2 different interviewers which 30 minutes each. The first interviewer asked me few behavior interview questions and the second interviewer asked me technical interview questions about accounting.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

They came to our university for a career fair. I talked to them and was asked to apply online. I did and then got an on campus interview. The interview was 1 to 1 and the interviewer is a graduate from my university. The questions are all behavioral questions. I did not get an on-site interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength?
      What is your weakness?
      Do you want to work alone or in a team?   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2017.

Interview

Conducted a phone interview with two personnel from the company in Annandale, New Jersey. Interview was very short, as they mentioned up front that they would not pay for relocation, or to fly me out for an interview, as this was to be a locally-sourced job. This was not mentioned in the job listing, and caused me to decline further interviewing

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied in September through college career site. Got notified of first round interview the next week. On campus interview with behavioral questions. Really straightforward. They were really helpful with trying to fit my schedule. All the interviewers were alums of my college.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with someone in your group? How did you handle it?
      Descrive a time something went wrong? What did you do first?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Treasurer's Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university. Filled out their online application and received an offer for a first round interview. I had about a week to prepare for the interview. Completed the interview via videochat and they asked a mix of behavioral and industry specific questions. A lot of the behavioral questions were the classic "How were you a leader? What was a time you exhibited out of the box thinking?, etc" questions. The industry specific questions were more difficult about what to do with excess capital, or quickly raise capital. I would recommend a good bit of industry specific research for this kind of interview.

Interview Questions

• If Exxon had to fund a large product, how would you suggest raising the capital required?   Answer Question