ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

ExxonMobil came to my school's career fair, so I stopped by their table and talked to a recruiter. After talking to her for a little while and giving her my resume, I was contacted for an on-campus interview the next day. In getting an on-campus interview, they look for at least a 3.7 GPA, relevant work experience, and leadership roles. I then had an on-campus interview that was all behavioral that went really well. From there, the guy I interviewed with said I should hear something by October. I was contacted about 3 weeks later via phone asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well and we mostly just talked about experiences that were on my resume. I didn't hear anything for about another 2 weeks before getting the verbal offer over the phone, and then a written offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave a presentation to management. Tell me about a time you did something that wasn't asked of you at work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Columbus, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour long campus interview during a career fair at the university. They first had an information session which was very helpful for undergrad students, but not very helpful for grad students.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Met campus recruiter; interviewed the next week by people from HR on campus. Overall a good experience but the competition was great and the internships few. I didn't get an offer but they said I was very close to moving on to the next round. The next round would have been a phone interview with an HR person from the plant I would be working at.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle solving a problem where the solution was not immediately obvious to you.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Co-op/ Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

I had one on-campus interview, and two phone calls (one to discuss whether I would be willing to do a co-op vs summer internship, discuss what they had available, etc. and one actual phone screen). They were behavioral based interviews which made things fairly painless. No "what would you do if this happened?" types of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince a team or group to go with your idea over all others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting.
    Received an email saying I was selected for an interview.
    Interview was 45 minutes long. Questions were both behavioral and technical.
    Recruiter was really friendly and provided feedback at the end of the interview.
    He pointed out what I was good at and what I could improve, and described the next steps such as sending my resume and info to head quarter and said I might be called by different locations.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a distillation column if the components being fed to the column are not known?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I had an on campus interview first. This was with an engineering recruiting team, but with engineers from the field. They were very professional and asked many behavioral questions. I had a follow-up phone interview for the specific site I was referred to. Then when I did not get that initial internship, I was contacted later for another position. I had another phone screen and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• basic behavioral.. tell me about a project, tell me about a challenge   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I had an on campus interview that lasted about 40 minutes. After basic getting to know you questions, there were many behavioral questions. The interviewer was very easy to talk to and kept the conversation going. Overall, a great interviewing experience, even though I did not receive an offer.

I would suggest preparing for a variety of behavioral questions if you interview with ExxonMobil.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to solve a problem with limited resources.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Campus Recruiting Event, was invited to interview approximately two weeks after Career Fair. Interview lasted 30-40 minutes and consisted of standard behavioral-based interview questions. Heard back from interviewer less than a week later that I had been recommended for further consideration, but never heard from any hiring managers after that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced adversity and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an unmotivated or difficult group member and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Tucson, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview took place on campus at the career service center. I was asked mostly behavioral questions and they wanted the response to be in STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format. Then preference on work location was discussed. And finally I was given time to ask the interviewer questions.

Interview Questions

• Share your proudest leadership moment.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's career services then heard back that I received an offer. Only one person interviewd me and she was furiously writing the entire time which made it difficult to create a connection. MANY behavioral questions. It got to a point where it seemed like I was being asked the same question over and over so have a lot of examples ready in the back of your mind!

Interview Questions

• leadership, group work, etc. typical stuff just a large volume   Answer Question