ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.9

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was very difficult. I figured that took the first 10 minutes to decide if they wanted me or not. The answer was no. So, they tested me with a lot of difficult technical questions to dampen my confidence. My peers did not have this difficult interview. Hence, I felt like they have already decided if I was a fit at the first 10 minutes.

Business Analyst - Brussels 2016 Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2016.

Interview

Online application - followed by an invitation to complete an on-line numerical test. The test contains 10 questions and you have 10 minutes. A week later, I received a negative reply, saying that they will not be progressing my application. Three test questions were easy at the beginning of the online test.

Interview Questions

• Numerical related questions such as interpreting graphs, calculating percentages...   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

The interview was conducted at the Radison Hotel in Baton Rouge. It was composed of two interviews in two different rooms. In the first room, the interviewers were human resource people, and Process Operations representatives. In the second room, the interviewers were technical type people such as engineers. The questions we all tell me questions about what have you done, or what did you do type of questions.

Gas and Power Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Leatherhead, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

After EMEC, got put to final round interview with 4 different interviews: one pannel, 2 individual, and one situational judgement. Each was of one hour, and quite difficult as they drilled my CV. I had a 'buddy' which followed me around the whole day. He was a nice chap, and talked to me a lot about the company and what they do, made the whole experience much more relaxing.

Interview Questions

• How would you try sell gas obtained from middle east given the current geopolitical conditions? (with a map being provided to help me jot down ideas)   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Difficult, at times a little disengaging,definitely not worth making an effort for as these questions test intuitionand critical thinking which is most people struggle as millenials in general have no idea how to think critically.

final interview can be a bit intense as you come so close to getting a job offer

Interview Questions

• How many tennis balls could you fit in wimbledon   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through website, passed the psychometric tests and then was emailed with notification of telephone interview, whole process took about 3 weeks or so. Results were also very quick, only about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time when you analysed numerical data to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint John, NB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint John, NB (Canada)) in January 2010.

Interview

1 interview that lasted for 3 hours. All the questions are behavioral based questions like tell me one time when you had to make a risky decision and how it turned out...

Interview Questions

• behavioral typed questions.. tell me how you dealt with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

I had several telephone interviews and once I passed those interviews I was called into their main office. Once at their office I was given a 1-on-1 interview first with an HR person and then with a hiring manager. About a month later I was contacted and I was brought in for a Group/Panel Interview and I was grilled by three different people.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the functionality of a fiber channel connection in a storage area network and name three SAN vendors that you have developed a business relationship with.   Answer Question

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta (Italy)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Augusta (Italy)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and invited to an interview at the refinery after my application on the company's website.
    Sicilians are chilled out people, so while the interview was scheduled for 9am we started at 10.30am, perfectly normal.
    No group interviews.

First step: with 3 young process engineers of the refinery. They require a complete explanation of your CV, from university to part time jobs (I worked in a clothes shop) and other interests. Behavioral questions were mainly about the PPEs you need while on site, how to convince operators with 10+ years experience to follow the instructions of a newbie engineer. Technical question was based on a PFD. Straight run naphta from atm distillation is sent to a first stabilizer where C6+ are recovered from the bottom and sent to another stabilizer where the heavy ends of the naphta cut are removed. Top of the second stabilizer is sent to a Merox reactor, which requires a C5 concentration in the order of 10ppm to work efficiently.
    Analyze the causes for which one morning you see 20ppm C5 at the Merox inlet and how would you solve the problem.

Second step: with a manager and an HR. Complete explanation of your CV. Just behavioral questions. Would you stay in Sicily for 10 years or all your life. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Same question about giving instructions to operators.

Third step: with another manager and the plant director. Toughest interview by far. They want you to express total motivation for the job and for a flourishing career in ExxonMobil, willingness to sacrifice, knowing it's not just a 8-17 job.
    Explain the differences between leader and supervisor. Preference to pursue a technical/managerial career.

I would rate the interview process difficult, mostly for the stress of three long interviews (1h30m per step).
    I didn't get the offer but overall it was a very positive experience, it's been a great training for my following interviews in other refineries.