ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

459 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was very difficult. I figured that took the first 10 minutes to decide if they wanted me or not. The answer was no. So, they tested me with a lot of difficult technical questions to dampen my confidence. My peers did not have this difficult interview. Hence, I felt like they have already decided if I was a fit at the first 10 minutes.

Business Analyst - Brussels 2016 Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2016.

Interview

Online application - followed by an invitation to complete an on-line numerical test. The test contains 10 questions and you have 10 minutes. A week later, I received a negative reply, saying that they will not be progressing my application. Three test questions were easy at the beginning of the online test.

Interview Questions

• Numerical related questions such as interpreting graphs, calculating percentages...   Answer Question

Gas and Power Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Leatherhead, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

After EMEC, got put to final round interview with 4 different interviews: one pannel, 2 individual, and one situational judgement. Each was of one hour, and quite difficult as they drilled my CV. I had a 'buddy' which followed me around the whole day. He was a nice chap, and talked to me a lot about the company and what they do, made the whole experience much more relaxing.

Interview Questions

• How would you try sell gas obtained from middle east given the current geopolitical conditions? (with a map being provided to help me jot down ideas)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through website, passed the psychometric tests and then was emailed with notification of telephone interview, whole process took about 3 weeks or so. Results were also very quick, only about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time when you analysed numerical data to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta (Italy)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Augusta (Italy)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and invited to an interview at the refinery after my application on the company's website.
    Sicilians are chilled out people, so while the interview was scheduled for 9am we started at 10.30am, perfectly normal.
    No group interviews.

First step: with 3 young process engineers of the refinery. They require a complete explanation of your CV, from university to part time jobs (I worked in a clothes shop) and other interests. Behavioral questions were mainly about the PPEs you need while on site, how to convince operators with 10+ years experience to follow the instructions of a newbie engineer. Technical question was based on a PFD. Straight run naphta from atm distillation is sent to a first stabilizer where C6+ are recovered from the bottom and sent to another stabilizer where the heavy ends of the naphta cut are removed. Top of the second stabilizer is sent to a Merox reactor, which requires a C5 concentration in the order of 10ppm to work efficiently.
    Analyze the causes for which one morning you see 20ppm C5 at the Merox inlet and how would you solve the problem.

Second step: with a manager and an HR. Complete explanation of your CV. Just behavioral questions. Would you stay in Sicily for 10 years or all your life. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Same question about giving instructions to operators.

Third step: with another manager and the plant director. Toughest interview by far. They want you to express total motivation for the job and for a flourishing career in ExxonMobil, willingness to sacrifice, knowing it's not just a 8-17 job.
    Explain the differences between leader and supervisor. Preference to pursue a technical/managerial career.

I would rate the interview process difficult, mostly for the stress of three long interviews (1h30m per step).
    I didn't get the offer but overall it was a very positive experience, it's been a great training for my following interviews in other refineries.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was on-campus. It was a behavioral interview; formulaic. The HR reps also held an informational session and a smaller group session for people who wanted to ask any questions about the company and/or position. Side note: Exxon has a reputation as being pompous and you have to buy into that and stroke their employees' collective egos. Also, I cautiously asked about their LGBT policies (of which they have a very unimpressive history) and their environmental stewardship (of which they have none)-- and I strongly believe those questions were one reason I didn't get an offer. They want candidates who drink their kool-aid.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you find convinced others to do something they didn't want to do. How did you do it? (Or questions very similar. The questions overlapped a lot.)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2016.

Interview

Competency based skype interview for 30 minutes, easy questions and very friendly. Then if passed, face to face interview with technical managers which was mainly competency based again for 45 minutes. This was more difficult with challenging questions and probing into your answers. Around 2 weeks later they emailed the outcome.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was a 30 minute Skype interview. The interviewer was pleasant and very friendly. It was competency based. She shocked me by asking me to give her a time when I had to analyse financial data. I was told the interview was purely based on my skills and background.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time of when you made a bad decision and stuck with it.   Answer Question