ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2017.

Interview

I was applying from LinkedIn, it's took around 2 weeks get phone call interview and the face to face interview invitations, the interview was not that hard mostly behavior basis interview, and it takes two round. And around 4 hours, after that I got answer in one week. It was quite efficient for the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Give me a specific situation when you made a mistake in your work how you manage to save it.   Answer Question
    • Give me a specific examples how you manage your time when you are under pressure of deadline   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in May 2017.

Interview

Very heart pounding interview. But can become easy with interview prep. Interview is broken into two parts, one situationals and the other about your background. Best advice I can give is practice interview questions to yourself in the mirror.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Exxon?
      What was the thing you liked / disliked about school and your past jobs?
      Answer Question

Intern - Monthly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I got called back after job fair at my university. I got a one-on-one interview that lasted about 90 minutes. Discuss mostly about behavioral questions. Two weeks later I got a phone interview by a lead engineer. Questions were mostly technical questions about situations were I had use similar procedures that are used in the company. A week after my phone interview I got my job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you had to use control systems.   1 Answer

Analyzer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Basic phone interview a few weeks later with an onsite interview scheduled after that. Meet with upper level management of group I would be working for and also people would have been peers within group. Each has some specific STAR questions to ask, but could also ask individual questions as they arose. Interview was very friendly and communication with host was excellent. Also met with HR rep to discuss benefits while on site.

Management and employees had a very clear emphasis on career development opportunities which I appreciated. I declined the offer for personal reasons, but had zero complaints about the offer, interview process, etc.

Interview Questions

• Mostly some standard STAR questions along with follow-up questions about my CV. Asked a lot of questions about my current job and daily tasks as I was doing almost the exact same job at a different company.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2017.

Interview

Personal questions (studies, favourite subject(s), student union, student union leadership, decision making as a leader, technical issues) then situational examples from my life (biggest biggest fault in my carrier which I solved later, )

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest fault in your carrier which you solved later?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

2 stage process. Screening was done by a recruiting firm.
    Stage 1 was peer review, a lot of in depth technical and behavioral questions. They were receptive and interested to know more about the candidate.

Second round was taken by senior most people. Interview appeared to be prejudiced and pre decided. Seemed more like they were more interested in personal details and choices than professional or technical. Most often I was cut mid sentence to state what their opinion was about the topic. They seemed to have problems with my past decisions and very condemning in nature. Behavior did not come across professional. They cracked inside jokes during the interview.Mockery in such instances cannot be passed as a "stress interview". Very bitter experience indeed.

Would suggest not to call the candidate for interview if the results are pre decided and/or have defined prejudices.

Interview Questions

• They were stating their own opinions even on simple topics such as "what is leadership according to you?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

1. First round consists of a group discussion where topics will pertain to current affairs like Impact of Brexit on India, Convince the Prime Minister to organize Olympics in India, etc
    2. Second Round will be a personal interview where shortlisted candidates will be asked questions by a panel of Exxonmobil employees.
    3. Third round consisted of a final round where shortlisted candidates will be invited to Exxonmobil- Bengaluru and Gurgaon for an off-campus interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Introduce yourself(which will further lead to more interactive questions)
      2. Describe your internship/project
      3. Why management when you have enrolled for a technical course?
      4. What is that unique trait that you'll bring to Exxonmobil?
      5. Some questions were situation oriented where you'll have to think on your feet
      6. You may be asked to act as a salesman and sell a pen or a bottle
      Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was nice experience. Rather positive. People were friendly and easy to communicate. First, talked to panel. Then had individual talk with team members. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.