ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2017

2.9

Analyzer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Basic phone interview a few weeks later with an onsite interview scheduled after that. Meet with upper level management of group I would be working for and also people would have been peers within group. Each has some specific STAR questions to ask, but could also ask individual questions as they arose. Interview was very friendly and communication with host was excellent. Also met with HR rep to discuss benefits while on site.

Management and employees had a very clear emphasis on career development opportunities which I appreciated. I declined the offer for personal reasons, but had zero complaints about the offer, interview process, etc.

Interview Questions

• Mostly some standard STAR questions along with follow-up questions about my CV. Asked a lot of questions about my current job and daily tasks as I was doing almost the exact same job at a different company.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2017.

Interview

Personal questions (studies, favourite subject(s), student union, student union leadership, decision making as a leader, technical issues) then situational examples from my life (biggest biggest fault in my carrier which I solved later, )

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest fault in your carrier which you solved later?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

2 stage process. Screening was done by a recruiting firm.
    Stage 1 was peer review, a lot of in depth technical and behavioral questions. They were receptive and interested to know more about the candidate.

Second round was taken by senior most people. Interview appeared to be prejudiced and pre decided. Seemed more like they were more interested in personal details and choices than professional or technical. Most often I was cut mid sentence to state what their opinion was about the topic. They seemed to have problems with my past decisions and very condemning in nature. Behavior did not come across professional. They cracked inside jokes during the interview.Mockery in such instances cannot be passed as a "stress interview". Very bitter experience indeed.

Would suggest not to call the candidate for interview if the results are pre decided and/or have defined prejudices.

Interview Questions

• They were stating their own opinions even on simple topics such as "what is leadership according to you?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

1. First round consists of a group discussion where topics will pertain to current affairs like Impact of Brexit on India, Convince the Prime Minister to organize Olympics in India, etc
    2. Second Round will be a personal interview where shortlisted candidates will be asked questions by a panel of Exxonmobil employees.
    3. Third round consisted of a final round where shortlisted candidates will be invited to Exxonmobil- Bengaluru and Gurgaon for an off-campus interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Introduce yourself(which will further lead to more interactive questions)
      2. Describe your internship/project
      3. Why management when you have enrolled for a technical course?
      4. What is that unique trait that you'll bring to Exxonmobil?
      5. Some questions were situation oriented where you'll have to think on your feet
      6. You may be asked to act as a salesman and sell a pen or a bottle
      Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was nice experience. Rather positive. People were friendly and easy to communicate. First, talked to panel. Then had individual talk with team members. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied through EMEC (ExxonMobil Engineering Challenge). Fast tracked to face to face interview. The interview included the basic interview questions. i.e why exxon, why this role. There were quite a lot of competency questions. I had twin interviewers and they both participated in asking me questions. They were quite friendly though.

They told me that they would get back to me in 3 weeks, however, i waited almost five months before getting a response

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Beaumont, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was a conference call with four engineers and the hiring manager asking various questions about my resume and determining if there would be a mutual fit with their existing workgroup.
    About a week later, the hiring manager indicated there was enough interest to interview me onsite. I was contacted by one of the engineers in the group who would be my host throughout the interview process.
    I flew in the night before the interview, got a limo to the hotel, and was picked up by my host to eat at a fancy restaurant. After dinner, he gave me a tour of the area's main shopping and housing sections, then back to the hotel.
    The morning of the interview started out with my host taking me to the hotel breakfast. Then, we started the interview proper: two technical 1:1 interviews and one 1:1 behavioral interview. The interview questions were fairly standard, but seemed to get more difficult during the later technical session.
    My host took me to lunch, where I met the rest of the engineers on the team who had not interviewed me that morning.
    After lunch, we took an hour tour of the manufacturing facility. After the tour were meetings with the second level manager (my boss's boss) for big picture questions and a meeting with HR for benefits.
    The interview was difficult, but first class all the way: the first class airline ticket, limo ride from airport to hotel, three nice meals with my host, and my host helping me through the process on interview day. The company even reimbursed me via PayPal - so convenient!

Interview Questions

• Give me one instance where a manager asked you to do something that you felt was unsafe and how you responded.   1 Answer

Engineering Career Development Office Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2016.

Interview

Gave a talk on campus. Took resumes after the talk. Shortlisted people for interview the next day based on resume. One hour long 1 on 1 interview. Turns out they didn't really have any positions open either, as they were in the midst of layoffs, so they didn't give an offer to anyone finally. The whole process was therefore very confusing.

Interview Questions

• Describe your PhD research, Conflict resolution during PhD, leadership initiates during PhD   Answer Question