ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2017.

Interview

Personal questions (studies, favourite subject(s), student union, student union leadership, decision making as a leader, technical issues) then situational examples from my life (biggest biggest fault in my carrier which I solved later, )

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest fault in your carrier which you solved later?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was nice experience. Rather positive. People were friendly and easy to communicate. First, talked to panel. Then had individual talk with team members. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied through EMEC (ExxonMobil Engineering Challenge). Fast tracked to face to face interview. The interview included the basic interview questions. i.e why exxon, why this role. There were quite a lot of competency questions. I had twin interviewers and they both participated in asking me questions. They were quite friendly though.

They told me that they would get back to me in 3 weeks, however, i waited almost five months before getting a response

Engineering Career Development Office Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2016.

Interview

Gave a talk on campus. Took resumes after the talk. Shortlisted people for interview the next day based on resume. One hour long 1 on 1 interview. Turns out they didn't really have any positions open either, as they were in the midst of layoffs, so they didn't give an offer to anyone finally. The whole process was therefore very confusing.

Interview Questions

• Describe your PhD research, Conflict resolution during PhD, leadership initiates during PhD   Answer Question

Industrial Placement Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

CV and cover letter after acceptance you must complete an online aptitude test - mathematical reasoning within ~5 days to be offered a place at the exxon challenge day. At the end of the challenge day there is an assessed group challenge where each group is assessed, if you make an impression you are either invited to a face-to-face interview or Skype interview then face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• All competency questions around teamwork, problem solving, how to face a task   1 Answer

Income Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

My on campus interview with ExxonMobil went better than I expected. My interview was an hour long. They split it between 2 different interviewers which 30 minutes each. The first interviewer asked me few behavior interview questions and the second interviewer asked me technical interview questions about accounting.

Business Analyst (BAR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Brussels (Belgium)) in February 2017.

Interview

There were four steps: 1. resume selection 2. ONT 3. 1st interview 4. 2nd interview. The last interview is with more senior managers. Both interviews are in English with 2 interviewers. The interviews last approximately 1 hour each.

Interview Questions

• What did you see in the newspaper about Exxon last month?
      Explain a difficult situation you went through (be specific).
      Why did you choose to study commercial engineering?
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

There were 2 interviewers, both from the Chem Business Unit. You do a self introduction, and they will ask you to describe time u faced great difficulty, and how you overcame it. Nothing much, but difficult to stand out

Interview Questions

• Describe the most difficult problem you faced and how u dealt with it   Answer Question