ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

459 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone interview; a few in-office interviews. I felt like the company is very professional and very accommodating and I had a great experience. They don't try to trip you up, but make you feel very comfortable.

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta (Italy)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Augusta (Italy)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and invited to an interview at the refinery after my application on the company's website.
    Sicilians are chilled out people, so while the interview was scheduled for 9am we started at 10.30am, perfectly normal.
    No group interviews.

First step: with 3 young process engineers of the refinery. They require a complete explanation of your CV, from university to part time jobs (I worked in a clothes shop) and other interests. Behavioral questions were mainly about the PPEs you need while on site, how to convince operators with 10+ years experience to follow the instructions of a newbie engineer. Technical question was based on a PFD. Straight run naphta from atm distillation is sent to a first stabilizer where C6+ are recovered from the bottom and sent to another stabilizer where the heavy ends of the naphta cut are removed. Top of the second stabilizer is sent to a Merox reactor, which requires a C5 concentration in the order of 10ppm to work efficiently.
    Analyze the causes for which one morning you see 20ppm C5 at the Merox inlet and how would you solve the problem.

Second step: with a manager and an HR. Complete explanation of your CV. Just behavioral questions. Would you stay in Sicily for 10 years or all your life. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Same question about giving instructions to operators.

Third step: with another manager and the plant director. Toughest interview by far. They want you to express total motivation for the job and for a flourishing career in ExxonMobil, willingness to sacrifice, knowing it's not just a 8-17 job.
    Explain the differences between leader and supervisor. Preference to pursue a technical/managerial career.

I would rate the interview process difficult, mostly for the stress of three long interviews (1h30m per step).
    I didn't get the offer but overall it was a very positive experience, it's been a great training for my following interviews in other refineries.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ruston, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ruston, LA) in January 2015.

Interview

Signed up and interviewed at school. Called me later that week to set up on campus interview. Asked very basic questions. Some deeper questions but no really specific to job, more teamwork based questions. Gave me a gift card that no one accepts.

Interview Questions

• Typical Interview Questions. Very HR based not very technical.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Newark, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

I gave a 1h technical seminar for approximately 30 research scientists and answered technical questions they had during and after the talk. This was followed by nine 30 min one on one interviews/ discussions with some of the team members as well as a lab tour at the end of the day.

Computational Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2016.

Interview

One telephonic round with basic questions regarding the background and core knowledge.
    If you clear telephonic round you will be called to Personal/technical interview .Technical Questions related to ; Numerical methods, Programming Languages, Algorithms, Fluid mechanics basics, Simulation experiences. Only problem was they did not convey the candidature (selected of not) in mentioned time , had to follow up with the third party continuously.

Interview Questions

• Technical Questions related to ; Numerical methods, Programming Languages, Algorithms, Fluid mechanics basics, Simulation experiences   Answer Question
    • Personal Questions : typical HR questions and situational questions   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Panel Interview with 3 interviewers.
    They are all very friendly and patient enough to explain the questions and job scope.
    A very structured company and follow their policies.
    The interview took around one hour

Interview Questions

• Biggest Achievements, Personal Insight of working as a part-timer   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bloomington, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through college career fair. Going into the interview they thought I was a junior and not a sophomore. Seemed like the interviewer tuned out after finding this out. Interview was all behavioral, easy, and relaxed. Said they would get back to me quickly, but I never heard back from anyone at the company.

Interview Questions

• What is something you would like to tell us that we didn't ask you about?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2017.

Interview

Personal questions (studies, favourite subject(s), student union, student union leadership, decision making as a leader, technical issues) then situational examples from my life (biggest biggest fault in my carrier which I solved later, )

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest fault in your carrier which you solved later?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question