ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.9

924 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Chemical Engineering Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

First stage: Online Psychometric and Personality tests
    Second Stage: Skype competency based interview
    Third Stage: Face-to-Face competency based interview
    Final Stage: Assessment Center. Entire day consisting of individual and group based tasks

All in all it was a pleasant, albeit lengthy, process taking about 4/5 months. Standard STAR format questions and the latter assessment center stage was a full day (8:00am - 4:30pm) centered around Exxon getting a better idea of who you are and how you perform individually and as a group in order to see if you match what they are looking for.

All of my experience was positive. However, I received an impersonal notification that I had not been successful at the end of the process that did not contain any feedback and was far removed from the attitude I encountered at every other stage of the process. I am however aware of candidates from other years who were able to source feedback from other avenues.

No technical questions were asked at any point throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time where you had to radically change your thinking and/or approach to a problem due to some new information?   Answer Question
    • Why Exxonmobil?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you showed initiative on a project?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in October 2016.

Interview

Most smooth interview process.
    interview with 2 person via Skype and once with KL manager, then free lunch. all in one day.
    if you are selected for interview, most likely they want you. they just want to see you in person.

Interview Questions

• basic general soft skill question.
      not too technical   1 Answer

Recruiting Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Prague (Czech Republic)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted by a recruiter on the phone, who asked me to arrange a Skype interview for a couple days later, since I was living in another country at the moment of the interview. I did the Skype interview with two recruiters who explained me the role, and then they addressed me to their Manager who wanted to meet me through Skype afterwards. After that, I received a job offer from the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you behave if everything you organized for an event in another country would not go as expected?   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through company website (October 2016) , Online tests, Skype interview and then assessment centre in Southampton (March 2017).
    Took a while to get back to me between stages but this was because they were changing their process.
    Skype interview was general competency questions (Tell us about a time you...), I didn't have a webcam available but this was not an issue.
    No feedback for months, emailed occasionally showing my interest and asking for feedback, eventually invited to an assessment centre. Over night stay at a hotel, dinner and drinks with employees and around 20 other candidates the night before. This wasn't assessed but was good to talk to graduates and get a feel for the job.
    Assessment centre was split into four sections:
    Individual task - Read information and do some basic calculations to decided between two options (Retrofit or New plant). There is no right answer, just want to see your thought process. Don't just do the required calculations, try to use all the relevant information your given.
    Task Based Interview - Talking to a senior engineer about why you made your decision. They might disagree and tell you the other is correct. Neither is correct, they just want to see how your react and respond.
    Task Based Group Presentation - Each given different information about the previous task, must decide whether yours is relevant and then come to a decision as a group about which option you are going to present. Present to around 8 senior engineers and then take questions. Make sure you speak up and make yourself noticed while not interrupting others.
    Interview - 2 senior engineers asking competency questions for around 45 minutes. Prepare examples from uni projects, previous work experience and extra-curricular activities which show leadership and disagreements, use the STAR answer system.

Afew tips:
    ExxonMobil's main focus is ALWAYS saftey.
    ExxonMobil don't invest in things which MIGHT help at some point in the future, everything needs to have a justification.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2017.

Interview

I applied in April took a compentancy test in June and had a two hour interview in July- the process takes a while. The first hour was a technical interview aimed at my qualifications and experience. The second hour was a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me if a time you skipped a step in a procedure to make it go faster   Answer Question
    • If you were doing as much as you can and we're still unable to finish all your tasks in one day how would make sure they were all done?   Answer Question
    • Tell me one thing you dislike about your current job   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Galveston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

My interview was very welcoming and friendly. The employees were very welcoming and so nice to me that made me really want to work there I go to the Exxon Mobile store everyday so I basically know all the employees that work there.

Interview Questions

• Why did i pick exxon mobil?   1 Answer

Senior Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone interview; a few in-office interviews. I felt like the company is very professional and very accommodating and I had a great experience. They don't try to trip you up, but make you feel very comfortable.

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta (Italy)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Augusta (Italy)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and invited to an interview at the refinery after my application on the company's website.
    Sicilians are chilled out people, so while the interview was scheduled for 9am we started at 10.30am, perfectly normal.
    No group interviews.

First step: with 3 young process engineers of the refinery. They require a complete explanation of your CV, from university to part time jobs (I worked in a clothes shop) and other interests. Behavioral questions were mainly about the PPEs you need while on site, how to convince operators with 10+ years experience to follow the instructions of a newbie engineer. Technical question was based on a PFD. Straight run naphta from atm distillation is sent to a first stabilizer where C6+ are recovered from the bottom and sent to another stabilizer where the heavy ends of the naphta cut are removed. Top of the second stabilizer is sent to a Merox reactor, which requires a C5 concentration in the order of 10ppm to work efficiently.
    Analyze the causes for which one morning you see 20ppm C5 at the Merox inlet and how would you solve the problem.

Second step: with a manager and an HR. Complete explanation of your CV. Just behavioral questions. Would you stay in Sicily for 10 years or all your life. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Same question about giving instructions to operators.

Third step: with another manager and the plant director. Toughest interview by far. They want you to express total motivation for the job and for a flourishing career in ExxonMobil, willingness to sacrifice, knowing it's not just a 8-17 job.
    Explain the differences between leader and supervisor. Preference to pursue a technical/managerial career.

I would rate the interview process difficult, mostly for the stress of three long interviews (1h30m per step).
    I didn't get the offer but overall it was a very positive experience, it's been a great training for my following interviews in other refineries.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a one-hour phone interview. It includes two parts: 1. they first did job position introduction as well as their background introduction; 2. They went through my Ph.D. work (based on my resume) and asked me to explain some experiences that I listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Some behavior questions such as: How do you feel about mentoring undergraduate and graduate students?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ruston, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ruston, LA) in January 2015.

Interview

Signed up and interviewed at school. Called me later that week to set up on campus interview. Asked very basic questions. Some deeper questions but no really specific to job, more teamwork based questions. Gave me a gift card that no one accepts.

Interview Questions

• Typical Interview Questions. Very HR based not very technical.   Answer Question