ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

473 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied in September through college career site. Got notified of first round interview the next week. On campus interview with behavioral questions. Really straightforward. They were really helpful with trying to fit my schedule. All the interviewers were alums of my college.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with someone in your group? How did you handle it?
      Descrive a time something went wrong? What did you do first?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Treasurer's Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university. Filled out their online application and received an offer for a first round interview. I had about a week to prepare for the interview. Completed the interview via videochat and they asked a mix of behavioral and industry specific questions. A lot of the behavioral questions were the classic "How were you a leader? What was a time you exhibited out of the box thinking?, etc" questions. The industry specific questions were more difficult about what to do with excess capital, or quickly raise capital. I would recommend a good bit of industry specific research for this kind of interview.

Interview Questions

• If Exxon had to fund a large product, how would you suggest raising the capital required?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

I went to an on campus information session and then spoke to a recruiter at the career fair. I was contacted for an interview a few days later. The interview was behavioral based, but my interviewer wanted very specific information and numbers for each answer. Overall, my interactions with ExxonMobil were pleasant and I would apply again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to decide between two conflicting sources of data   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied via my school career portal, and never once spoke to a recruiter. Received an email a week later about an information session and setting up an interview time. The two recruiters were interviewing for full time and part time positions, 32 candidates in total.

The interview itself is purely behavioral questions. Nothing crazy, generic preparation and going through common Exxon questions will be very helpful. It seemed like that they were really looking for engineers with business concentrations, all of the prior year internships were given to integrated degree students.

I heard back a few weeks later through an automated message that I did not receive a position referral.

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Originally was reached out to by an on-campus recruiter for application interest. I followed up my application at a career fair which transitioned into a 45-minute 1-on-1 interview with an on-campus recruiter. The next round was with a 45-minute phone interview with an entry-level hiring manager. For the final round of interviews, I was flown to Houston for a day consisting of a campus tour and three interviews.

All interviews were fairly behavioral with limited technical application. Questions were left fairly open ended in which technical/leadership experience could be drawn upon for each answer, but in no way only had a single correct answer.

Interview Questions

• - Describe a time you took a leadership position in a team setting.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Submitted my resume, transcript and was selected for an interview. Though the internship was technical in nature, the first interview was exclusively behavioral-based. Make sure you have good, well-rehearsed stories about your experiences that display some of your best work qualities.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I went to my schools job fair, talked with ExxonMobil and scheduled an interview for the next day with the recruiter. Interview was mainly behavioral type questions using the STAR format. Interviewer was very friendly. A few weeks later I got an email requesting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 45 min. That was more of a conversation asking some behavioral and some about my resume. Not too bad of a process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied to internship at career fair, then received an email a few weeks later about the on campus interview. The interviewers were all alumni and there was a pre interview info session that is not required up recommended. All the questions were common interview questions nothing unexpected. They choose interns heavily based on GPA and prior experience in industry.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Spring, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Junior (peer) interviewer greeted me in the lobby. Hiring manager arrived fifteen minutes late. But both interviewers were aloof and distracted, and they spoke to each other (kidding around, essentially) in front of me, making me feel uncomfortable.

When the first interviewer asked where I'd parked, (in the garage indicated in the pre-interview email they'd sent) she continued, "Oh that's right, I got a notification when you entered the campus and I could see how long it took you to reach the garage." Why she shared this with me I don't know.

A good portion of the interview questions were closed-ended (so you would really want to drive all the way up here [12 miles] to work?) or worded so specifically that they were hard to relate to my experience.

Interview Questions

• [Interviewer's exact words] Describe a time when a direct customer was very angry, and how you solved their problem, resulting in a happy customer.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career page. I heard back within a few days about an on campus interview. I thought the interview went well but didn't hear anything back. I emailed my interviewer inquiring how the process was going and got no response. Finally after a month, I got a very generic rejection email.

Interview Questions

• (Something like) Talk about a time someone went against what you said. What did you do about it?   Answer Question