ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

Very standard behavioral interview - no technical questions were asked. Interviewer was especially interested in my past work experiences in the petroleum field. The interview itself lasted around 40 minutes and was a very standard process. Be prepared to go in depth over your previous work experiences. I heard back from the recruiting team about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to complete a task with insufficient resources.
      Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a teammate over a project
      Answer Question

SummerFinancial Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a one on one interview after submitting an online application through a university career website. The interview was very simple and relaxed, it felt more like a conversation rather than a formal interview, only behavioral questions were asked. The recruiting team didn't even have a courtesy to let me know that i didn't advance to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome challenges at your previous work place?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

I had a initial, behavioral interview with two Exxon recruiters on campus right after my school's career fair. They will ask you to use the STAR method to answer their questions, so definitely familiarize yourself with that prior to the interview.

Overall, the questions were straightforward, nothing tricky, but be prepared to elaborate on your experiences and answer multiple follow up questions. My interview lasted around 45-50 minutes.

Engineering Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and had an on campus job interview. The interview was mostly behavioral questions with a few other subjects mixed in. Make sure you have many different examples for the behavioral questions as there were quite a few similarly worded ones.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was on-campus. It was a behavioral interview; formulaic. The HR reps also held an informational session and a smaller group session for people who wanted to ask any questions about the company and/or position. Side note: Exxon has a reputation as being pompous and you have to buy into that and stroke their employees' collective egos. Also, I cautiously asked about their LGBT policies (of which they have a very unimpressive history) and their environmental stewardship (of which they have none)-- and I strongly believe those questions were one reason I didn't get an offer. They want candidates who drink their kool-aid.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you find convinced others to do something they didn't want to do. How did you do it? (Or questions very similar. The questions overlapped a lot.)   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Met campus recruiter; interviewed the next week by people from HR on campus. Overall a good experience but the competition was great and the internships few. I didn't get an offer but they said I was very close to moving on to the next round. The next round would have been a phone interview with an HR person from the plant I would be working at.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle solving a problem where the solution was not immediately obvious to you.   Answer Question

Geoscientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

30 minute on-campus interview after applying online and attending short information session. Very relaxed 1 on 1 interview with no technical questions. All questions based on resume information. Interviewer focused on thesis research and past work experience. Asked general questions about why I wanted to work for Exxon, what interested me about Exxon, what I wanted out of the job, if I was OK with the fast-paced environment and travel associated with full-time employment with Exxon, etc. Also discussed the type of employees Exxon is looking for and the diverse background they look for in a potential employee.

Interview Questions

• Asked about the type of skills you used in past work/school experience.   1 Answer
    • Explain the work you are doing on your Master's thesis.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through the college job fair and conducted a short elevator type speech to recruiters. Two days later I was called in for an interview. I had a single person interview me. Although she had my resume she only asked behavioral questions. She was really nice and overall it went well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about you that you would like me to know that you haven't yet mentioned.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was about 2 hours long. I was interviewed by 2 sets of people. The first set of people asked questions of how certain situations would be handled. The second group of people was more relaxed asking questions of would you be able to lift a certain amount, would you wear steel toed boots, etc

Interview Questions

• There were a plethora of questions that were asked of how would you handle certain situations and how have you handled certain situations in the past with your employers   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was behavioral. They asked a series of questions regarding past experience and performance. I had a three panel interview everyone was very nice and professional. I was asked to come back for a second interview with hiring managers and went through the same behavioral type interview. Again, everyone was very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to skip a step in a process. What did you do and what was the end result?   Answer Question