ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 21, 2018
1,112 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Lubbock, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Submitted a resume online. Received an email to set up an interview and to go to a information session they were holding at my university. The interview was about an hour long, one on one with a recruiter who also was an engineer normally.

Interview Questions

• Recall a time that you took a leadership role in a group and had to motivate some of the group to complete a task. What was the outcome and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2017.

Interview

There were three rounds- written, gd, technical n hr Interview.
    In the interview round most technical questions were from heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
    They also asked questions based on my final year project and internships.
    They prefer students with food CGPA....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Primarily Behavioral, and it was very structured. He asked a question, and I gave the answer, and there was not much conversation besides that. He took notes on everything I said.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had trouble working with a teammate, and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Firstly, online application (including CV and cover letter) and then few tests.
    Next was a competency based Skype interview.
    After that is the EMEC event, which included further selection stages including an interview.
    I failed at competency based Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time where you weighed pros and cons and decided not to take action despite pressure to do so?   Answer Question
    • Greatest obstacle?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you dealt with a team member of poor performance?   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through company website (October 2016) , Online tests, Skype interview and then assessment centre in Southampton (March 2017).
    Took a while to get back to me between stages but this was because they were changing their process.
    Skype interview was general competency questions (Tell us about a time you...), I didn't have a webcam available but this was not an issue.
    No feedback for months, emailed occasionally showing my interest and asking for feedback, eventually invited to an assessment centre. Over night stay at a hotel, dinner and drinks with employees and around 20 other candidates the night before. This wasn't assessed but was good to talk to graduates and get a feel for the job.
    Assessment centre was split into four sections:
    Individual task - Read information and do some basic calculations to decided between two options (Retrofit or New plant). There is no right answer, just want to see your thought process. Don't just do the required calculations, try to use all the relevant information your given.
    Task Based Interview - Talking to a senior engineer about why you made your decision. They might disagree and tell you the other is correct. Neither is correct, they just want to see how your react and respond.
    Task Based Group Presentation - Each given different information about the previous task, must decide whether yours is relevant and then come to a decision as a group about which option you are going to present. Present to around 8 senior engineers and then take questions. Make sure you speak up and make yourself noticed while not interrupting others.
    Interview - 2 senior engineers asking competency questions for around 45 minutes. Prepare examples from uni projects, previous work experience and extra-curricular activities which show leadership and disagreements, use the STAR answer system.

Afew tips:
    ExxonMobil's main focus is ALWAYS saftey.
    ExxonMobil don't invest in things which MIGHT help at some point in the future, everything needs to have a justification.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2017.

Interview

I applied in April took a compentancy test in June and had a two hour interview in July- the process takes a while. The first hour was a technical interview aimed at my qualifications and experience. The second hour was a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me if a time you skipped a step in a procedure to make it go faster   1 Answer
    • If you were doing as much as you can and we're still unable to finish all your tasks in one day how would make sure they were all done?   1 Answer
    • Tell me one thing you dislike about your current job   1 Answer

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta (Italy)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Augusta (Italy)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and invited to an interview at the refinery after my application on the company's website.
    Sicilians are chilled out people, so while the interview was scheduled for 9am we started at 10.30am, perfectly normal.
    No group interviews.

First step: with 3 young process engineers of the refinery. They require a complete explanation of your CV, from university to part time jobs (I worked in a clothes shop) and other interests. Behavioral questions were mainly about the PPEs you need while on site, how to convince operators with 10+ years experience to follow the instructions of a newbie engineer. Technical question was based on a PFD. Straight run naphta from atm distillation is sent to a first stabilizer where C6+ are recovered from the bottom and sent to another stabilizer where the heavy ends of the naphta cut are removed. Top of the second stabilizer is sent to a Merox reactor, which requires a C5 concentration in the order of 10ppm to work efficiently.
    Analyze the causes for which one morning you see 20ppm C5 at the Merox inlet and how would you solve the problem.

Second step: with a manager and an HR. Complete explanation of your CV. Just behavioral questions. Would you stay in Sicily for 10 years or all your life. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Same question about giving instructions to operators.

Third step: with another manager and the plant director. Toughest interview by far. They want you to express total motivation for the job and for a flourishing career in ExxonMobil, willingness to sacrifice, knowing it's not just a 8-17 job.
    Explain the differences between leader and supervisor. Preference to pursue a technical/managerial career.

I would rate the interview process difficult, mostly for the stress of three long interviews (1h30m per step).
    I didn't get the offer but overall it was a very positive experience, it's been a great training for my following interviews in other refineries.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Beaumont, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was a conference call with four engineers and the hiring manager asking various questions about my resume and determining if there would be a mutual fit with their existing workgroup.
    About a week later, the hiring manager indicated there was enough interest to interview me onsite. I was contacted by one of the engineers in the group who would be my host throughout the interview process.
    I flew in the night before the interview, got a limo to the hotel, and was picked up by my host to eat at a fancy restaurant. After dinner, he gave me a tour of the area's main shopping and housing sections, then back to the hotel.
    The morning of the interview started out with my host taking me to the hotel breakfast. Then, we started the interview proper: two technical 1:1 interviews and one 1:1 behavioral interview. The interview questions were fairly standard, but seemed to get more difficult during the later technical session.
    My host took me to lunch, where I met the rest of the engineers on the team who had not interviewed me that morning.
    After lunch, we took an hour tour of the manufacturing facility. After the tour were meetings with the second level manager (my boss's boss) for big picture questions and a meeting with HR for benefits.
    The interview was difficult, but first class all the way: the first class airline ticket, limo ride from airport to hotel, three nice meals with my host, and my host helping me through the process on interview day. The company even reimbursed me via PayPal - so convenient!

Interview Questions

• Give me one instance where a manager asked you to do something that you felt was unsafe and how you responded.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.