ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.9

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus career services. Then I spoke with a recruiter at the campus career fair who didn't seem interested in me. Later I was invited for an on-campus interview. We went through my resume and I answered a few behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back in two weeks.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

First round interview consisted of two parts. The first part was a resume walk and questions about your experience. The second half consisted of about 15 behavioral questions. They asked if I was mobile which means are you relocatable.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time when you had to motivate a team.
      2) Tell me about a time when you had to motivate a team and there was a difficult member.
      3) Why did you decide to leave your previous company?
      5) Tell me about a time when you had to present an idea to leadership.
      Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Very standard behavioral interview - no technical questions were asked. Interviewer was especially interested in my past work experiences in the petroleum field. The interview itself lasted around 40 minutes and was a very standard process. Be prepared to go in depth over your previous work experiences. I heard back from the recruiting team about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to complete a task with insufficient resources.
      Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a teammate over a project
      Answer Question

SummerFinancial Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a one on one interview after submitting an online application through a university career website. The interview was very simple and relaxed, it felt more like a conversation rather than a formal interview, only behavioral questions were asked. The recruiting team didn't even have a courtesy to let me know that i didn't advance to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome challenges at your previous work place?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2016.

Interview

I had a initial, behavioral interview with two Exxon recruiters on campus right after my school's career fair. They will ask you to use the STAR method to answer their questions, so definitely familiarize yourself with that prior to the interview.

Overall, the questions were straightforward, nothing tricky, but be prepared to elaborate on your experiences and answer multiple follow up questions. My interview lasted around 45-50 minutes.

Engineering Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and had an on campus job interview. The interview was mostly behavioral questions with a few other subjects mixed in. Make sure you have many different examples for the behavioral questions as there were quite a few similarly worded ones.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Columbus, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. Was invited for an on campus interview. After the interview, I received an email that my interview was successful. I was contacted by a hiring manager for one last phone interview, and then was offered the internship a couple days later. Pretty standard process

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was on-campus. It was a behavioral interview; formulaic. The HR reps also held an informational session and a smaller group session for people who wanted to ask any questions about the company and/or position. Side note: Exxon has a reputation as being pompous and you have to buy into that and stroke their employees' collective egos. Also, I cautiously asked about their LGBT policies (of which they have a very unimpressive history) and their environmental stewardship (of which they have none)-- and I strongly believe those questions were one reason I didn't get an offer. They want candidates who drink their kool-aid.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you find convinced others to do something they didn't want to do. How did you do it? (Or questions very similar. The questions overlapped a lot.)   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Co-op/ Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

I had one on-campus interview, and two phone calls (one to discuss whether I would be willing to do a co-op vs summer internship, discuss what they had available, etc. and one actual phone screen). They were behavioral based interviews which made things fairly painless. No "what would you do if this happened?" types of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince a team or group to go with your idea over all others.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Met campus recruiter; interviewed the next week by people from HR on campus. Overall a good experience but the competition was great and the internships few. I didn't get an offer but they said I was very close to moving on to the next round. The next round would have been a phone interview with an HR person from the plant I would be working at.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle solving a problem where the solution was not immediately obvious to you.   Answer Question