ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1,018 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a one-hour phone interview. It includes two parts: 1. they first did job position introduction as well as their background introduction; 2. They went through my Ph.D. work (based on my resume) and asked me to explain some experiences that I listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Some behavior questions such as: How do you feel about mentoring undergraduate and graduate students?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in May 2017.

Interview

Very heart pounding interview. But can become easy with interview prep. Interview is broken into two parts, one situationals and the other about your background. Best advice I can give is practice interview questions to yourself in the mirror.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Exxon?
      What was the thing you liked / disliked about school and your past jobs?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

interview process was routine - staff was very friendly and helpful. There were several rounds of interviews with different personnel. Interview was focused on typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time you had to show leadership..etc)

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The process is fairly pleasant, which is an approximately one-hour one-on-one interview. After the interview, your material will be sent back to the offices to see if there is a matched team. If not matching the area they are seeking people for, then most likely no offer. But the interview process is overall pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Part I: Describe/elaborate some of the experiences listed on your resume.
      Part II: Behavioral questions, e.g. what is your strengths/weaknesses, what is the greatest achievements/failure, etc.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.

Income Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

My on campus interview with ExxonMobil went better than I expected. My interview was an hour long. They split it between 2 different interviewers which 30 minutes each. The first interviewer asked me few behavior interview questions and the second interviewer asked me technical interview questions about accounting.

Sourcing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Very straight forward. Flew down to Houston, had four separate interviews which felt more like conversations. All behavioral questions. "If you make it this far we already think you're a good fit for us, this is to see if we're a good fit for you."

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

It was straight forward. It was direct questions related to the work i am going to do.

Interview Questions

• They asked about Active directory and the details of getting permissions of the folders. Since i had done a similar project it was easy for me to answer.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2017.

Interview

Exxon mechanical engineer interviewed me through the phone. After the interview, I never heard from the interviewer again. I do not even know if I succeeded or failed after the interview. It was an unpleasant experience. The interview was okay, however. Interviewer asked about general experience and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict of ideas with your team mates and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question