ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,018 Interview Reviews

2.9

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Originally was reached out to by an on-campus recruiter for application interest. I followed up my application at a career fair which transitioned into a 45-minute 1-on-1 interview with an on-campus recruiter. The next round was with a 45-minute phone interview with an entry-level hiring manager. For the final round of interviews, I was flown to Houston for a day consisting of a campus tour and three interviews.

All interviews were fairly behavioral with limited technical application. Questions were left fairly open ended in which technical/leadership experience could be drawn upon for each answer, but in no way only had a single correct answer.

Interview Questions

• - Describe a time you took a leadership position in a team setting.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Submitted my resume, transcript and was selected for an interview. Though the internship was technical in nature, the first interview was exclusively behavioral-based. Make sure you have good, well-rehearsed stories about your experiences that display some of your best work qualities.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus with a recruiter after career fair. A few weeks later, the second round was with a manager via FaceTime interview. another week later, the third round was also via FaceTime with the previous interviewers manager. Questions were primarily behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a time you failed and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I went to my schools job fair, talked with ExxonMobil and scheduled an interview for the next day with the recruiter. Interview was mainly behavioral type questions using the STAR format. Interviewer was very friendly. A few weeks later I got an email requesting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 45 min. That was more of a conversation asking some behavioral and some about my resume. Not too bad of a process.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The interview was entirely behavioral. The interviewer was extremely friendly and treated the process like a conversation. The STAR method will help. They then informed me in around a week of my results.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with a stressful time and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Started with a 1-on-1 in-person interview. Covered behavioral/situational questions. Very straightforward, traditional interview.

They flew me out on Thursday morning. That night we had dinner with some newish employees who showed us around the town and talked about what the first few years on the job look like. Informal and fun.

Friday morning we were driven to the ExxonMobil campus for breakfast and then we had three 50-minute one-on-one interviews. Social lunch w interviewers then we went on a tour of campus and then flew home

My 3 main interviews went behavioral-technical-behavioral. Questions were recycled between the very first interview and these two behavioral interviews. A couple questions were asked word-for-word in all three. Technical interview was on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to complete a task and had missing information
      Describe a time you got too much credit for a group effort
      Describe a time the direction/priorities of your project shifted dramatically, how did you react?
      Describe a situation where your work was being closely monitored, did you work well in that environment?
      etc, etc, the behavioral questions were all "describe a time when.."

Describe pointers vs references in C++
      Write FizzBuzz (lol classic)
      Write code to find the one missing number in an unsorted list of n-1 numbers from 1 to n
      Write an expression that will return all filenames ending with .txt (looking for a regex answer)
      Describe polymorphism in the context of OOP   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I first filled out an application on Exxon Mobile's career website, very quick and easy. I was then contacted by an exxonmobile representative suggesting that they would like to conduct a preliminary interview with me at my college. I went to the interview, most of the questions they asked were behavioral, they also asked about some of the skills and experience I had represented on resume. After the structured part of the interview, I was asked to elaborate on some skills that may not have come up in the interview up to that point, but that should be highlighted.

I received a call the very next day suggesting that they would like to fly me down to their campus in Houston. The Houston interview was very similar to that of the initial interview, all behavioral based questions, except instead of one interview I had three, with managers under the same job function.

All in all a very nice process, one of the best I have been apart of, try to be yourself and you will do great.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me of a time that you did not agree with the current process of doing something at work, and what you did to resolve that problem.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Gainesville, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

There was a causal dinner on the night before the interview that lasted for two hours. It was an opportunity to ask questions about the company but also to get to know the recruiter/interviewer more. The next day, the interviewer asked about the resume and pointed at a couple of my experiences and told me to explain further.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied to internship at career fair, then received an email a few weeks later about the on campus interview. The interviewers were all alumni and there was a pre interview info session that is not required up recommended. All the questions were common interview questions nothing unexpected. They choose interns heavily based on GPA and prior experience in industry.

Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

ExxonMobil came to my school's career fair, so I stopped by their table and talked to a recruiter. After talking to her for a little while and giving her my resume, I was contacted for an on-campus interview the next day. In getting an on-campus interview, they look for at least a 3.7 GPA, relevant work experience, and leadership roles. I then had an on-campus interview that was all behavioral that went really well. From there, the guy I interviewed with said I should hear something by October. I was contacted about 3 weeks later via phone asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well and we mostly just talked about experiences that were on my resume. I didn't hear anything for about another 2 weeks before getting the verbal offer over the phone, and then a written offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave a presentation to management. Tell me about a time you did something that wasn't asked of you at work.   1 Answer