ExxonMobil Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ithaca, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Brief, but technical. Asked important personality questions but kept it to a more technical sense. Asked brain teaser questions that got people by surprise. Honestly just trying to get the glassdoor unlimited access.

Interview Questions

• What is the stress strain curve of an object composed of two materials   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Primarily Behavioral, and it was very structured. He asked a question, and I gave the answer, and there was not much conversation besides that. He took notes on everything I said.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had trouble working with a teammate, and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I got the on-campus interview two months after submitting my online application. The interview went pretty well. It was all about behavioral questions. I was told that I would receive an email in two weeks which I received it in one week. It was stated that my application is referred to the hiring managers and I will be contacted for an on-site interview if there is any match. Still waiting!!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a conflict and how you were dealing with it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (UC Berkeley, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

My interview was on my campus. I had the interview about two weeks ago. I applied on my college's job site and they asked me to schedule a time slot to interview with them at my career center. After the interview I was told that I was put into their company's employment system. This is where the various locations pull potential employers from. They said I would be in this system for about a month.

Interview Questions

• If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

On-campus interview with mechanical engineer, followed by a phone screening with an engineer at ExxonMobil headquarters. First interview consisted of general skills questions; phone screening was more in-depth with oil/gas engineering questions.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your experience working with mechanical equipment such as pumps and heat exchangers.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions

• If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Met at a career fair and only talked briefly but handed the recruiter my resume. Was invited to an informal lunch interview where we were introduced to the company and were able to ask any questions we had. Students were given the chance to tell about our experience. Subsequently invited for a formal interview on campus. Interview consisted of fairly standard behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time when..." A week or so later I was informed that I had been recommended to move on and eventually got a call from a location in Houston where I had a final phone interview before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• In the phone interview I was asked what my technical strengths were.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As it was an internship and the compensation was several times better than anywhere else I had heard of I did not attempt to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

3 interviews, one on university campus, one phone interview and then one on-site interview at Houston. The entire process took 4 months from first round interview to the third round on-site interview. Received an offer 2 days after my final round interview.

Interview Questions

• No question were particularly difficult, they were all behavior type questions. Most of which were geared towards how to work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, didn't need to, offer and benefits were better than other companies.

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2013.

Interview

On campus interview, flown to site for a day of interviews, all expenses paid. People asked reasonable questions, not necessarily trying to stump you just trying to understand how you think and test your accomplishments.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Talked to campus recruiter and got an on campus interview a couple weeks later. This interview was more situational... Tell me about a time when... Then got invited to a site interview a couple days after the first interview. This interview was a round robin setup and more technical. Interviewed with a supervisor, a few different departments, HR, and a manager.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a unique and innovative solution you have come up with that was successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation