ExxonMobil Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Primarily Behavioral, and it was very structured. He asked a question, and I gave the answer, and there was not much conversation besides that. He took notes on everything I said.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had trouble working with a teammate, and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2016.

Interview

Na het insturen van CV en motivatiebrief ontving ik een uitnodiging voor een gesprek. Op het gesprek zelf werd er gefocust op hoe je zou handelen in specifieke situaties. Verder werd er ook gepeild naar technische kennis over een centrifugaal opvoerpomp. In het algemeen vond ik het een moeilijk gesprek waarbij er uitdagende vragen gesteld werden.

Interview Questions

• Bent u ooit in een onveilige situatie terechtgekomen? En hoe hebt u deze aangepakt?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in October 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, First round with 2 interviewers, Second round with management.
    At the first round interview, questions asked were mostly resume based and on your past experiences, and institutional based questions. Interview lasted about 30-40 mins. At the end of the interview, will be asked on area of interest within the business unit should you be hired, therefore have to be familiar with different areas.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had difficult working with your teammates   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Went to our campus career fair and dropped off my resume. Got a call back scheduling an on campus interview. The interview was a pretty standard behavioral interview with an engineer from the company. Basically he read off the sheet about my experiences with teams/making tough decisions/etc. Pretty standard, but at the same time, that made it all the more difficult.

Got a call from them to schedule a second round about a month later. They flew me out to Louisiana for a couple days, the whole "wine and dine" experience. They do it really well! Had a host bring me around for the two days, really nice hotel suite, the works! Furthermore, the interview itself consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, all with different employees along the food chain. Most questions were personal or about your resume. (With the second round, it's definitely more about getting a feel for who you are and if you'd be a good fit for the company). All in all, I received an offer via phone two weeks later and the offer letter the next day.

For that reason, your first interview is EASILY the most important... Exxon does a huge filtering at this stage and majority of the people who do the second round actually get offers.

Interview Questions

• What do you think separates ExxonMobil from the other oil companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Great offer, no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Ithaca, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Brief, but technical. Asked important personality questions but kept it to a more technical sense. Asked brain teaser questions that got people by surprise. Honestly just trying to get the glassdoor unlimited access.

Interview Questions

• What is the stress strain curve of an object composed of two materials   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2016.

Interview

Filled in an application form online and then did some online Quizzes, then a video interview on skype then a competency interview in Southampton where their base is. It was relatively easy as there were no technical questions!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

On-campus interview with mechanical engineer, followed by a phone screening with an engineer at ExxonMobil headquarters. First interview consisted of general skills questions; phone screening was more in-depth with oil/gas engineering questions.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your experience working with mechanical equipment such as pumps and heat exchangers.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest decision you had to make?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Met at a career fair and only talked briefly but handed the recruiter my resume. Was invited to an informal lunch interview where we were introduced to the company and were able to ask any questions we had. Students were given the chance to tell about our experience. Subsequently invited for a formal interview on campus. Interview consisted of fairly standard behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time when..." A week or so later I was informed that I had been recommended to move on and eventually got a call from a location in Houston where I had a final phone interview before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• In the phone interview I was asked what my technical strengths were.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As it was an internship and the compensation was several times better than anywhere else I had heard of I did not attempt to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

3 interviews, one on university campus, one phone interview and then one on-site interview at Houston. The entire process took 4 months from first round interview to the third round on-site interview. Received an offer 2 days after my final round interview.

Interview Questions

• No question were particularly difficult, they were all behavior type questions. Most of which were geared towards how to work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, didn't need to, offer and benefits were better than other companies.