ExxonMobil Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

3.1

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was very difficult. I figured that took the first 10 minutes to decide if they wanted me or not. The answer was no. So, they tested me with a lot of difficult technical questions to dampen my confidence. My peers did not have this difficult interview. Hence, I felt like they have already decided if I was a fit at the first 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Norman, OK) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied through my college's recruitment website. Got accepted for the interview. I thought it was very straight forward, no questions that caught me off guard except maybe why I wanted to be a chemical engineer. The lady was nice, and they were quick to get back to me with a nice rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to change your approach to a problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in October 2015.

Interview

University Recruiting: attended university career showcase, one-on-one interview for 1 hour, contacted by site to set up site visit and next round of interviews
    Site Visit: arrived evening prior to interviews to have dinner with host and other engineers, day of interviews consisted of three 45-minute interviews (mixture of behavioral and technical questions) and a 30-minute session with HR to discuss benefits.
    Note: My interview process was sped up due to an impending deadline for an offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a group, and a group member was getting off-track.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a technical decision in a short deadline.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Interview

I was told to speak with them at the career fair by a recruiter. Immediately was scheduled an on campus interview. This was basic STAR questions. Then received a phone call from a manager to see if I would be interested in her department. I flown down for an on site interview. The first night was dinner with a new engineer. The next day was very long and you had to be on your game at all times. I had two technical interviews. They want you to be crazy smart, personable, but also like the people in the department. It took at least a month for me to hear back.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Interview

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions

• An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I submitted my resume to Exxon at a Career Fair, and shortly afterward was called for an interview in an office in the same building. After this initial interview, which was largely informal, I was set up to do a second interview at the facility of work. I drove up there for a day long interview schedule with 3 or 4 different people, ranging from HR to the plant manager. After that, they were arranging yet a third interview down in Houston when I declined and joined a different company.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you can back up what you wrote on your resume.   Answer Question

Different job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

They came to our university for a career fair. I talked to them and was asked to apply online. I did and then got an on campus interview. The interview was 1 to 1 and the interviewer is a graduate from my university. The questions are all behavioral questions. I did not get an on-site interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength?
      What is your weakness?
      Do you want to work alone or in a team?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Too long for someone coming out of college, college screening, college 1-on-1 interview (IL), corporate interviews (about 5 of them, whole day, in DC), then again site specific interviews (another 4, and dinner with employees).

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

College campus screening then a callback for a series of 5 interviews with various managers and engineers on site. The interview was mainly to assess how I interact with people, most questions were easy and about my resume.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about resume and experiences at internships   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangkok (Thailand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Bangkok (Thailand)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for Esso Challenge internship program via company website and I was contacted few days later by e-mail to arrange phone interview. The interview was on phone in the afternoon (TH Time). There are two interviewers, first they let me introduce myself and follow by competency questions.
    One month later, I received a phone call that I was accepted and they will send me the contract for further process.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever experienced hard time in doing activities in the University and how did you deal with it.
      (Related to activities I put in my Resume)
      What is your favourite subject.
      I talk about Heat Exchanger Design, so they asked me for more information about how I design it.
      1 Answer