ExxonMobil Research Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Research Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The process was through campus interview. The interview was pleasant - very little technical questions and mainly about PhD dissertation

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Excellent process

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Got the onsite interview invitation one month after the campus interview. Arrived one day before the interview day. First had a dinner with couple of employers. Then interview started the second day with presentation, then 6 one by one interview. One week later, got the rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are related with your research, research group and personal preference.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2011.

Interview

Submitted resume to campus career center. Given a chance to interview 1:1 with ExxonMobil general recruitment. Phone interview a few months later with specific division recruitment. Site interview offered. Site interview consisted of several 1:1 interviews with different levels of management/senior technical. One hour presentation w/ Q/A. After offer was accepted, drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating. They pay well enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied through campus career center and ExxonMobil website, talked to the recruiters during info session and career fair. They were all very nice and kind. Got notified two weeks before the interview (first round, on campus). I am looking for full-time opportunities, so I know the on campus interview will probably all be behavioral. Took some time to prepare for typical questions. And went over the resume for every detail.

Got notified for second round interview (site visit) after a week of the campus one, the date hasn't been set yet, will probably be early Nov. Will update status later.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through career fair on campus. Got an on-campus interview about three weeks later. The interviewer asked me to talk about my research, emphasizing on the novelty of my projects. He also asked me some basic behavioral questions. For example: What did you do when you encounter problems in your research? What are your strengths? What are your greatest accomplishments?

Interview Questions

• Describe how did you contribute to your research group   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2009.

Interview

Very friendly process. Every interviewer made me feel very comfortable. Appeared more like a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didnt negotiate!

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2011.

Interview

I am a phd student and I got this interview by applying to the university career center. Was offered an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a chemical engineering phd who now is in charge of a lab at XOM's research center in New Jersey. The interview came straight to the point from the start: random resume questions(10-15min), behavioral questions (15-20min), and a Q&A period(5-10min).

The interview questions are reasonable. No odd balls. But this was my first job interview and my lack of experience made me a little ill-prepared(I prepared a lot on the "tell me about yourself" and "why XOM" kind of thing but downplayed the behavioral questions. Turns out the former were never touched upon). Also I'm an international student so my English is not seasoned enough to handle emergency situations smoothly. I could have responded much better.

One thing I don't like about the way they organized the interview is that you are not interviewed for a specific position. They just wanted to take a look on the candidates and then go back and see whether some of their departments want people with experiences like yours. I guess it's more efficient for a big company like XOM to do it this way. However, I find it annoying because I don't know what skill sets I need to highlight if I don't know what functions I am expected to contribute( guess I could have asked, but they seems to not care at this point). It's also hard to build a bond between you and the interviewer because the interviewer may work on a complete different research area and have little idea/interest about the significance of your skills( and vice versa).

I haven't heard back from them yet and I'd be surprised if I got passed to the second round. The interviewer did mention that the next interview round will be conducted by people from specific departments that matches my background.

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

First applied through campus career fair. They would like to hire students with high GPA and at the same time with social activities and leadership skills. On the career fair day, there was a small conversation between me and one of the hiring group. He invited me to a 1:1 interview next day. The interview was behavioral type. The interviewer makes you feel very comfortable. 3-4 days later I got an email saying that my CV was recommended to the main system. 2 weeks later, I got the phone interview and invited to an on-site interview. The whole interview process was very well organized and pleasant!!! On site interview consisted of many 1:1 interviews and an hour long presentation (for a PhD candidate).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you run out of resources? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.