F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2018

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Technical Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2017.

Interview

I got employee referral by networking in February and had two rounds of phone/video interviews in early March. The interview was less focused on algorithm/data structure questions than other technical interviews. They asked about my past experience and resume during the interview, and not much about writing code for algorithm questions. Two weeks later the HR called me to offer the position.

Interview Questions

• I can't tell the detail of the question but it's really easy, about string and hashmap.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Liberty Lake, WA).

Interview

First interview was a phone call with the recruiter just simple questions and scheduled onsite one. The on site was with three team members interviewed me spertaly each for 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• some random C functions and data structures questions.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

procedural, good engineers with good skill set, asked relavent questions

networking protocols bgp, osp, tcp handshake, linux based questions ex - file systems, dns, dhcp, ip routing, firewall, security questions - iptables, firewall

Interview Questions

• asked about past experience during the interview, and not much about writing code   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I never had such a bad experience as a candidate. The recruiter from F5 networks scheduled a Technical Phone screening with hiring manager . Received a call from hiring manager after waiting for 5-10min that interview needs to be rescheduled due to some unexpected event. Such things do happen in life.

Phone interview got rescheduled in following week. Just few minutes before the interview, I received an email from recruiter that interview needs to be rescheduled due to some reason.

I wrote a reminder email after few days. Got a voicemail from recruiter that my profile is not fit for the job position.

I strongly feel that F5 Network does not respects candidate’s time and effort.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Firstly an introductory phone call interview which lasted for about 15 mins.
    Three rounds of onsite interview of 45mins each.
     Questions asked were based on resume, one coding problem, networking and Linux basics.

Interview Questions

• Easy Linux command line questions
      ls, grep, find   Answer Question
    • Explain OSI model
      Explain TCP 3-way handshake
      IPv4 and IPv6 addresses   Answer Question
    • Coding question:
      Write a Translate function.
      Input:
      Set1: abc
      Set2: 123
      Text: aaabbbcc

Final output expected as Translated text: 11122233   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter and VP were a pleasure to talk with. Very responsive and great to discuss the opportunity with. Final technical interview was with Chief Architect...

Could tell from the get go that he did not prepare for the interview. Position was for cloud technologies but no questions related to position were asked. Continually interrupted and asked completely different questions as I was providing a solution to the original question. Once I was able to provide the solution, he asked why made an assumption. I had to explain that we agreed on these assumptions in the beginning... Could tell that I did not fit the "cultural" person he wanted (clone like him).

Overall, the recruiter and VP were great and represented the company very well. Unfortunately, would not accept a position where such an unprofessional individual would have that much input on the team. Fortunately, they didn't extend one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2018.

Interview

After applying online, I was send a link to hackerrank. The questions were too easy to be true. 2 coding and a few MCQs. The time limit was 75 min but I was able to complete it in less than 15 mins. After waiting a week for the update I send a mail to the recruiter asking about the status. In a total of 4 weeks I had send 4 mails with no reply from the recruiter and then later just an automated mail that i wasn't selected for the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online. After about a week, a recruiter reached out and scheduled an HR screening over the phone. The job description did not require a CS degree. I have a B.S. in another technical field, and the recruiter assured me that I could be successful in the role without a CS background. We then scheduled a technical phone/skype interview with the hiring manager.

The skype interview went really well. I had to write some algorithms in JS using a browser IDE. I came up with efficient solutions for each problem and the hiring manager acknowledged this. As I mentioned, I don't have a CS degree, but the position was for a GUI/Front-End engineer and I have a lot of experience with JS (and all of the other requisite front-end skills). A few days after the phone interview the recruiter reached out and scheduled a final on-site interview.

They say that an interview is a two-way street, i.e. the employer is interviewing you, but you are also interviewing the employer. F5 failed their on-site interview with me.

The interview included four separate one-hour sessions, with four white male engineers. My interview was scheduled to start at 8:00am. I checked in with reception at 7:51am, my first interviewer was late and came to get me at 8:20am (20 minutes late).

At the start of each session, the interviewer would ask, "Which position is this for again?". They had no idea what they were interviewing me for. I was asked a bunch of systems engineering and Java related questions by the first three interviewers. I obviously struggled because I have almost no experience in these areas (and I definitely didn't include those as skills on my resume).

The last interviewer started the session by explaining that you cannot be successful at F5 without a B.S. in Computer Science. He suggested that I go back to school if I want to work there. He then explained what he does at F5 (systems engineering) and how difficult his job would be without a CS degree. He concluded his diatribe, shook my hand, and showed me out of the building. He didn't even humor me with a technical question.

I totally understand that some jobs are impossible without a CS degree, and I respect that. But don't string me along for two months acting like I don't need one, then have the final panel spring it on me as a requirement. Also, I noticed that I wasn't asked a single behavioral or "cultural fit" question. I could have been an argumentative jerk or a racist and they would have hired me if my Java skills were up to snuff.

I had an offer in hand from another company, when I went into the final interview at F5. After the interview I got in my car, took out my phone, and accepted the offer at the other company. I'm grateful to F5 for making a difficult career decision much easier.

Interview Questions

• Systems engineering, Java, nothing related to the Front-end or UI,   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2018.

Interview

There were a total of 5 rounds:
    The first one was an online assessment of 1 hour which had 10 MCQs and 2 (Leetcode easy) coding questions.
    On passing that round, after 2 weeks they scheduled a phone screen round of an hour.
    After that there were 3 onsite interview rounds: 30 min behavioral, 45 technical and 45 min technical.
    The questions asked in the technical were leetcode medium related to stacks, linked list and strings. And the behavioral rounds consisted of role playing questions.

Interview Questions

• Online assessment: network and linux MCQ and 2 easy coding questions
      Phone screen : Resume related, networks and oops concepts
      Behavioral : Role-play questions
      Technical: Leetcode medium   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

First applied for the job and got an interview call in 2 weeks. First-round lasted for about 60 mins. Had some coding questions.Got 2 /2 on coding questions correct but didn't get selected for the next round. Really didn't know the exact reason.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by email initially by recruiter to set up a time to talk. Scheduled a meeting and discussed position and other possibilities I might fit the recs for. Set up a phone interview with group manager and had a 45 minute conversation again about the position and what I was desiring from the position. A few days later received another email requesting an in person panel interview. The panel consisted of 4 employees from director to manager. The interview was very friendly and the panel was enjoyable to talk to.