F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

F5 Networks Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

3.2

Front End GUI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Connected with recruiter. He was very polite and helpful. I mentioned I only have experience in Angular 2 not earlier version. Hiring manager was impressed with background they moved forward with hackerrank test.

That is where things feel apart. It was a timed challenge mix of of all Front end concepts. In angular section there were questions on angular 1.x version. Also questions where focusing more in syntax rather than concept. Ofcourse I wont have best answer as Angular 2 is written from scratch n vastly different from other version.

I got a rejection saying my answers were not competitive enough. Ofcourse it wont be as questions were very specific on older methodology and I personally find it ridiculous. Questions like this can say a lot of things about how "rigid" team's mindset will be in assessing candidate and potentially on work.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, the interview process was well organized at the beginning. I completed an online assessment. Got follow up hiring manager interview. The feedback was good. I though I'm able to fly to onsite.

After that, it became so bad organized, I didn't get any schedule info, they suddenly called me when I was outside saying that we have more tech questions to ask you and I need a computer. I thought the next might be coding round, so I made the schedule. On that interview day, the dirty thing is, they didn't ask me to do any coding test except for keeping asking me the exact same questions which already being ask by the hiring manager in the previous round.

I was quite confused why other interviewers didn't make good coordination with their hiring manager. Keeping asking same questions to waste my time.

Interview Questions

• they are c++ try exception fans, be prepared for this area if you want to join them. Also http and SSL stuff.   Answer Question

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews over the phone regarding availability, the program itself, and related experience. The first round is with the program manager that oversees hiring interns. After that, the second interview was with the lead who oversees the actual position. This focused more on personality. The final interview was more in-depth and technical knowledge.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

I applied online. Received an online coding test after 1 or 2 weeks. It included a lot of network related questions, one coding question and several questions about past experience. Next step was a phone interview with hiring manager, which was mainly about my experience with the technologies used in the team.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Im just in the first steps of the process.
    First they send you a link to answer 10 technical questions. The platform consist they give you an answer and they record a video with your answer. THey give you an average of 1:30min to answer.
    They ask me one behaviorial question and the other 9 were technical.
    Two weeks later, they send me a request for a phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Port and protocol used by DNS
      Commando to FTP
      What is a tcp connection
      what is the netmask
      1 Answer

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview and was chosen to meet with the hiring manager in person at the F5 office. The office was easy to get to and parking was good. They validated when I was done which is a plus. The interview lasted an hour. The hiring manager said they would get back to me in a few days. When they didn't follow up, I sent a note to the HR contact. She never got back to me. I've written them off since I haven't heard back. It is common courtesy when coming in for an in-person interview to at least mention that it was the end of the line...but nothing.

Network Support Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Liberty Lake, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The initial digital interview consisted of answering about ten questions that I had to record by video. The recordings were facilitated by a web service that allowed thirty seconds for me to read the question and contemplate an answer, then record the answer. Each response was given a fixed time to respond, thirty seconds for short answers up to about three minutes for longer responses depending on the question, and could not be redone or reviewed. The first question was a warm-up, to practice the format and presentation. I was allowed to review and rerecord the first response for practice. The whole process lasted about fifteen minutes.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with Unix or Unix-like operating systems?   1 Answer
    • How does a TCP connection initiate?   2 Answers
    • Which ports do DNS queries use?   1 Answer
    • Where can you access log files on a Linux operating system?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2017.

Interview

I applied in mid December 2016. And I was contacted by f5 recruiter in Mid January 2017. Recruiter setup interview with a Software Engineer. The interview lasted for about 20 - 30 minutes. I was asked to write a simple C program on collabedit.
    At the end of the interview, the interviewer gave me a positive feedback. He said I should expect to be called for on-site interview. After a couple of days, recruiter reaches out to me and asked me for my availability for on-site interview. After I sent him days/times, he replied saying that he made a mistake in his previous email and that he has not received a final decision yet for my interview from the hiring manager. It could be a genuine mistake but, imagine how you would feel to be told it was a mistake after you rescheduled other interviews for this one. I emailed the recruiter a few times and he told me there is no update. Then in late March 2017 I received a generic rejection email.

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Technical Screening

The interview process started with a technical screening video. During this process they sent me a link that took me to a website where I was asked a series of questions, a few examples being.

What FTP commands are used to upload and download files? (put, get)
        Can you describe TCP handshake? (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK)
        Are you comfortable with using CLI? (Yes)
        What port is DNS? (Port 53)
        What is the difference between UDP and TCP? (TCP is connection-oriented, UDP is not)

2. Phone Screening

About a week after this was sent in, I was emailed for a phone screening with the F5 recruiter that I was working with. On this call she seemed to just be gauging my interest, looking to see what salary range I wanted, and several questions about my background in tech. At the end of this call she advised that she would like to schedule an interview at their building in the next week or so, and after a few days we were able to schedule this out.

3. In Person Interview

The in person interview is a 2-3 hour interview that begins with a more grueling technical screening to see if you are a better fit for a NSE 1 or NSE 2 position. It consisted questions about Linux (e.g. how to view file permissions, change file permissions, how to view open ports, reading files) and then the interviewer wrote some advanced commands on a whiteboard and asked if you could step through what they would be doing. My main takeaways from this exercise was to know that WC and XARGS are. After the Linux questions we ran through several scenarios with a diagram of an existing network, and answered questions about how to fix various issues with traffic not exiting or moving correctly between a WAN. Main takeaway from this is to go in knowing how switching, routing, firewalls, routing protocols, and other general Layer 2 to Layer 4/5 technologies work so that you can troubleshoot and answer questions about a network. Most of this knowledge you can get from a Net+ exam. Not being in a network administrator or engineer position before I did struggle with some of the network and Linux questions, but did my homework beforehand to have a general idea of all of this.

The second step in the in person interview was to site down with two of the support managers and find out why you would be a good fit. Most of the questions were traditional (e.g. give an example of a time that you had to deal with a difficult end user, have you used ticketing systems before, why are you leaving your current job, where do you see yourself going from here), but the question that did stick out is that we played 20 questions toward the end of this interview. This was actually my favorite part of any interview that I've had, as I feel that it does show an underlying skill for troubleshooting something you may not know anything about. Just be sure to ask the right questions, and operate in sort of a binary search tree manner. Use questions to eliminate the most items possible right out of the gate.

The third interview was with the VP of services and this was similar to the previous, though maybe at a higher level. I took the time to ask him questions about F5, the future of the network security industry, and the future of support that I genuinely wanted his opinions on as a successful individual in the industry.

4. Post Interview

After the interview I met with my F5 recruiter who walked me out of the building. A day or so later she contacted me advised they would like to extend an offer, but for the NSE 1 position instead of NSE 2. I had been expecting that after the in person technical interview, so I was excited about the offer. It has taken about a week for the referral and background check to complete, which is fairly normal in my experience.

Interview Questions

• You've replaced the firewall in your network. Before replacing the firewall you double-checked all configurations against the existing firewall to ensure they match exactly. However, when you perform the replacement no traffic is able to get out to the internet. What would/could be the issue on your network?   1 Answer

FPGA Engineer - I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and connected with the Manager on LinkedIn. The while process took about 3 weeks. It was originally for the FPGA Engineer - II position. However, they did not find anyone suitable for the position and downgraded the position to FPGA Engineer - I. The HR then contacted me and set me up for a phone interview with the Hiring Manager and one of his Senior Engineers. The phone interview with the Hiring Manager was mostly resume based. The Sr Engineer asked me Verilog based questions which I had to code on Collabedit (live online coding). The next day, The Hiring Manager set me up for an on-site interview a week from then. He also gave me a project to work on, which I had to present in front of a panel.

The on-site interview was about 5 hours long. Including the panel interview, I had 7 rounds. 3 technical, 3 managerial and 1 panel. All of them were very friendly and made sure I was comfortable. It was a good experience. The technical rounds started simple and they started to increase the difficulty of the questions with each answer of mine. They don't want to see if you know everything, they only wanted to know how one approaches the problem at hand.

Overall, it was a good experience and I was expecting a positive result. Sadly, Lady Luck wasn't on my side :(

Interview Questions

• Basic logic design questions that started to get more complex with each answer of mine.   1 Answer